Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 1×11 Road Options
  • DavidB
    Free Member

I want to convert my CX bike to a 1×11 setup. I already have cable disk brakes and am looking to get an 11-42 cassette at the back. I have an Absolute Black chainring at the front already.

Would this option work?
    -Shimano Ultegra 11 speed shifters
    -SRAM Nx1 11 Speed Rear Derailleur
    -Shimano XT M8000 11 Speed 11-42t Cassette

Or are there any other options I should look at?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

No, Shimano & Sram are different pull ratio’s, so the mech won’t work with the shifter.
    Why not Sram Force 1 is about the best solution for a 1x CX set up.
    Personally I don’t get it unless it’s for racing (but then you wouldn’t run 11-42)
    Why not just stick with 2x & have the range?

lazybike
    Free Member

No idea! Why the sram rear mech and not shimano?

tang
    Free Member

Stick with shimano and use wolftooth road link. If you fancy a shimano clutch mech too, use their tanpan widget.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@goldenwonder, there’s one very good reason for wanting 1x on a road bike. If you regularly average around 16-17 mph in gently rolling terrain you end up changing up front (and twice at back) all the time, and its a royal pita!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member

@goldenwonder
    , there’s one very good reason for wanting 1x on a road bike. If you regularly average around 16-17 mph in gently rolling terrain you end up changing up front (and twice at back) all the time, and its a royal pita!

That’s exactly what I do 99% of the time & never have an issue. 50/34 & 11-28 cassette. Never once in more miles than I care to think of have I found it lacking.
    Sram did a 1x road groupset, but it never took off.
    Have you tried going sun compact to see if that works for you & then still gives you the lower gears if you need them if it gets a bit steep? something like 46/30 & a 11-32 cassette? Easy to do then too.

onandon
    Free Member

Davidb, Totally agree with you. I changed my cervelo s3 to 1×11 a couple of years ago. It worked really well for my cadence and the routes I ride.
    I used a 42/11-32

I used cx1 but started using ultegra. Cx1 works better.

joemmo
    Free Member

I run 1×10 on my cx/road bike with 38 up front and 11-34 on the back. It’s a decent compromise for generally hammering around, commuting and cxing. It’s lower maintenance, quiet and the shifting is crisp and reliable. However, for longer rides, lots of climbing or for general efficiency then a close ratio cassette and a double is still going to be the best option IMHO. The sub-compact double makes a lot of sense and honestly how often does the average rider use a 50-11 let alone a 52-11?

1x has a lot of benefits but it’s not magic and comes with some tradeoffs, it is however relatively cheap to try out and you can easily swap back if it doesnt work for you.

slparsons
    Free Member

I’m just back from my first ride (average speed 12.4Mph, max speed 26.3Mph) on my Whyte Gisburn with 1X11, 38T front with 10/42 cassette. I found it really good and would recommend it.

rs
    Free Member

good to know, keep wanting to change my commuter to 1x, at the same time I keep telling myself its just a commuter and it doesn’t need upgrades!

fifeandy
    Free Member

@goldenwonder, i wouldn’t say its lacking, the shifts are always perfect, its just annoying doing it every few mins for hours at a time. When shimano make a nice subcompact i’ll probably take that route with an 11-28. But given that they just released details of new ultegra and it doesn’t include one who knows when that will be. I’m pretty sure until sub compact is widely adopted 1x is a valid alternative for many riders

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Or stick a 46t outer ring on any Shimano chainset & a 11-32 cassette. It’d be a rare climb that really needed anything lower than 34/32 anyway.

joemmo
    Free Member

@rs – do it 🙂 For a commuter / utility bike 1x is ideal IME. You just need the narrow / wide chainring, a clutch mech is nice to have but not essential, I’ve used road 105 and XT mechs without a clutch and never dropped a chain on or off road. I’d recommend the RaceFace narrow wide rings but I’m sure they are all similar.

cookeaa

Do you actually want a road 1xN bike or a CX/Gravel/Road 1xN bike?

I have both a 2×10 Road bike and a 1×9 CX/Gravel bike, and while they both work really well they are different tools for different jobs.

I am a natural spinner and 1x with a broader, bigger, steps cassette suits a mixed on/off road type bike using a single ring, it is just about OK on the road and the bigger gear steps work better off road, but for covering miles, and being able to match gear to a comfortable cadence on the road, especially when climbing. A closer stepped cassette and the ability to drop into that lower range makes lots of sense still.

I know it’s been done but 1x on the road feels like a fad at the moment… IMO of course.

DavidB
    Free Member

I want 1×11 to simplify the bike I use it mainly for bikepacking and very long on/off road rides. That is also why I need the dinner plate at the back.

It’d be a rare climb that really needed anything lower than 34/32 anyway.

With kit on the bike there are plenty at the end of a long day!

orangeboy
    Free Member

My cx bike currently has a 11-40 11 speed cassette and ultegra mech and works fine with a single front ring. This is a little frame dependant though

John_Key
    Free Member

I have a Similar set up to others, a double (46, 34 up front and 11-36 on back) using a 10 sp set up. I live in a fairly hilly place, but this set up works well.

Intrigued by the single though, but just having upgraded to 10sp 105 I don’t think I’ll make the change soon

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘1×11 Road Options’ is closed to new replies.