Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1×10 set up
  • pitcherpro
    Free Member

Apologies in advance as i’m sure this has been asked many times .

I’m currently running 2×9 but am thinking of moving to 1×10.I’m getting fitter but i’m not a speedy climber so will i struggle making the move and what set up would people recommend?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Just gone from 3×9 to 2×10 on a new bike and had enough bits left over to build an extra one that I’ve done 1×10.

Running 32×11-36 with a superstar top guide on a c456.

Wish I’d done it sooner, it’s great!

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I should imagine your c456 weighs less than my enduro!

Northwind

There’s no right answer tbh. I’ve got one bike that’s 1×10 (32 front, 11-36 rear) and like it, but the other is 2×9 and that’s grand too.

Thing I’ve found is that on the occasions where 1×10 would be pushing my luck, I’m very glad for the granny. Meanwhile, I’ve never really thought mid ride “Man, having a granny ring is killing me”

Oh yeah- and when grip’s low and in the snow especially, the wider choice is fab- you can spin your way up/across things in good control that you couldn’t muscle through, more torque means more wheelspin.

watsontony
    Free Member

best answer is….. it depends

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Yeah, the c456 is about 26lbs but the onlytime I wished I’d had a lower gear was chatting to a mate on the fire road from the bottom of haldon forest to the top but only because my mate who I was chatting to was in proper granny ring and I kept having to stop for him to catch up.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Northwind thats what i’m thinking , i’d be pushing my luck and then cursing that i don’t have a granny ring!

Whatsontony , depends on what ? (probably my lacking leg power)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whatsontony , depends on what ? (probably my lacking leg power)

Everything…

You, your fitness, your bike, where you ride, how you ride, what your ideal cadence is, at what cadence can you deliver power for and for how long….

I always reckoned I was a lower cadence rider. Since being injured I’ve been doing some structured power based workouts on the turbo which have helped me understand a lot of things.

Firstly I struggle to spin fast (100 rpm+)
    I’m strong with a decent level of power
    I can put consistent high power out at 60-70rpm

For me this translates as a few things
    on my current 2×9 setup I have a 36-22 fron. I can’t spin fast enough with a 32 to be comfortable and have gears left. (many say 32 is enough but it’s very personal)
    I stick with a 22 for just in case moments and mostly because I used to live in the lakes.
    If I went 2×10 I’d raise both rings but close the gap slightly.
    From what I’ve worked out 1×10 would probably work as I could grind out the work but I’m trying to use lower gears to save energy/efforts.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of 1×10. I’ve had a single ring up front for a long time now, getting on for ten years I think, with the exception of a trail bike I bought last year, which had no iscg tabs so I left it 2×10.

I think having the granny ring improved my endurance a bit, in that I never gave up or got off and pushed any more but it was rattly, irritating and it just felt like cheating so I made a concerted effort stay in the big ring, then I bought a new bike with iscg tabs and went back to 1×10 and I can generally clean every climb.

With regards set up

watsontony

best answer is….. it depends

pretty much sums it up. 36 x 11-34 feels best in my opinion, but can be a bit tight for very steep climbs for extended periods. I think any adult man should have the strength to climb pretty much anything with a 32 x 11-36 set up, but I find it a bit spinny, probably the best overall compromise though. It’s really a question of how long you can sustain your effort for.

I’d go for an 11-34 cassette and play with front chainrings if you need to.

wors

What chainset are you using up front?

ta

pitcherpro
    Free Member

The stock sram chainset 22/36 I think

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1×10 set up’ is closed to new replies.