Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)
  • 1×10 or 1×9 Is there anybody else that does not need dinner plate cassettes?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

or the fact that you can do most of what you want with 1xsomething 🙂 The fact a multiple front ring setup is designed to move the chain off a ring is the first issue. If you were designing a bike now it wouldn’t come into the mix at all. If you didn’t have huge amounts of road heritage to copy mountain bikes have been something very different from day 1

traildog
    Free Member

I use a 32×34 bottom and I find it hard work. It’s ok-ish for a couple of hours but after that my legs are dead. Also on technical climbs it’s difficult as you lose the ability to give it that extra kick because your legs are dead. There are lots of climbs which I used to challenge myself on but which are now too difficult. Also, you only have one or two all out attempts in your body, so you are always pushing at the end of a big day.

I am a good climber, but would love a dinner plate cassette. I am looking forward to dropping to a 32×36 bottom gear and hope for lower. I like having a single ring though, so stick with it. It’s all a compromise and less compromises are good.

GEDA
    Free Member

If the front mech is designed to move the chain off the ring and causes the chain to come off how come people take their front mechs off and replace them with something that looks like a front mech!

vs

traildog
    Free Member

Seriously? Because they also have a job of keeping your chain on. They just don’t do it so well because they are designed to move the chain.
    Without a front mech, you need some method to keep the chain on the chainring, the devices you posted above are one such example there of.

andyrm
    Free Member

Been running 1×10 with 32t front, 11-36 cassette, but now looking to go larger cassette as will allow a bigger chainring for same low ratio, gaining more top end gearing.

Haven’t had any issues even in Europe on current low ratio, and talking to plenty of other Enduro riders who ride in Europe, the bigger cassette range means you can have a higher top gear due to a larger chainring, rather than a lower bottom gear for the same size chainring.

Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘1×10 or 1×9 Is there anybody else that does not need dinner plate cassettes?’ is closed to new replies.