Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 1×10-ists…does this chain tension look about right?
  • smogmonster

Just I nstalled the 42T on my Stereo 29er, put a new 116 link chain and I cant help but feel it looks too tight…going by OneUps instructions I should lose about 3-4 links off the existing chain (after measuring it up). What do you reckon? Forgive the rubbish pic and messy Garage!

mashiehood
    Free Member

looks spot on, now go ride it, its lovely out.

mcnultycop

What does it look like in the smallest sprocket?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

It might need one more link out depending on how slack it is in top gear.

PrinceJohn

Looks about right, wouldn’t look too short to me if you took out another link…

As mcnultycop[/b] said, what’s it look in the small sprocket?

maxtorque

Let the rear shock down, fully sag the bike, check the derailleur has a little bit more forwards “swing” left in it. If so, you’re good to go!

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Looks slack as hell to me

njee20
    Free Member

Your mech hanger looks to be at a strange angle.

smogmonster

On the smallest sprocket.

As for the mech hanger that’s just the way its supposed to be.

teamslug
    Free Member

Both look just about same as mine. I’ve got 40 tooth hope on back. 112 links i think. Not had a chain drop yet……as above go ride and see. Its not gonna snap your chain….

Northwind

Looks alright but no substitute for unbolting the shock and swinging it through the travel.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Are you sure that mech is behind the stop tab on the hanger? Looks odd

goldenwonder
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Your mech hanger looks to be at a strange angle.

The Stereo’s have an unusual hanger-that’s perfectly normal on one of those.
    Chain length in theory looks a fraction long, but I wouldn’t worry about it & unlikely to cause a problem-better that way than too short!
    *edit*
    Please take that shock boot off-they make me want to cry with the damage they can cause!

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

That’s how tight I run mine

Some slack left

kayak23

I’d say it looks slack.. in the smallest it wants to point more downward so it keeps tension. It’s virtually horizontal so has pretty much gone past peak-pull imho.

The below image,according to a Pinkbike article is about right in largest rings. I’d agree with that and mine runs great at about that length.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Yep I would say two/three links off but im sure it will be fine if you can’t be arsed.

Kahurangi

Remember to check the length when the shock is fully compressed too. I’m not sure I can see how your suspension moves so can’t say it won’t cause chain growth under compression.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Looks way too long to me, mines like the pb pic

endurokid
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm, this has got me thinking.

I’m running a 1×10, RF narrow wide, X0 short cage mech. I lost my chain 3 times at the previous Grizedale Enduro. I thought my chain was the correct length, I’m now thinking of removing a link or two as my chain my grow under compression.

More tinkering I suppose.

lornholio
    Free Member

As short as possible without maxing out the mech’s tension in the biggest cog with shock fully compressed. Otherwise your chain is going to be flapping around in the smaller cogs more than it would otherwise.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Pair of links out should sort that out

coblck
    Free Member

Would say it needs links out as everyone advising remove air from shock compress rear suspension strap it down at full travel and measure again but would definelty remove some links just go one at a time till you happy and confident its right also see this LINK

steve_b77
    Free Member

This is all of course assuming that your axel path is at it’s longest at full compression, it may well be somewhere else in its arc.

spooky_b329

I think the funny mech hanger angle is making it look wrong, in the first pic the mech looks to be near full stretch even though its not pulled forward.

superfli
    Free Member

I have mine as tight as that PB photo. The arm is stretched as far forward as possible when in largest sprocket. Allowing for suspension/chain growth of course.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘1×10-ists…does this chain tension look about right?’ is closed to new replies.