Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • £1k to spend on 5" fatbike rolling chassis – options?
  • 40mpg

I may have some cash to splash shortly, looking to upgrade my O-O Fatty to something a bit lighter and 5″ capable. More trail than touring oriented. I’ll swap most of the bits off the Fatty, so really playing with options for frameset, wheels & tyres. I’m looking to get 2 sets of tyres – some 4″ish ones for general trail stuff and 5″ for beach and maybe even snow (don’t see much of that down on the South coast here).

First thoughts were around a 9:zero:7 but my bro has one of them, don’t want matching bikes if I can help it!

honourablegeorge

Specialized Fatty? Light alu frame, carbon fork, DT wheel with light really well machined out rims, and 4.6 tyres as standard that are ace for trail use.

Full bike obviously, but you get lots of bits to upgrade later.

scotroutes

Lots of Chinese carbon available for that price

igm

I just stuck 80mm Nextie rims on my OO Fatty and 2×9, Saint pedals, with a Bud on the front and Floater on the back, it’s weighing in at 30.6lb which isn’t too bad weight-wise. Admittedly that’s with the carbon fork.

I don’t think the OO frame is too heavy. The rims are.

tomhoward

+1 for the Spesh base model. £1500 but you do get a whole bike

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t think the OO frame is too heavy. The rims are.

It’s a lb heavier than an alloy mukluck (or the same weight as a pugsley).

Left of field, Canyon Dude, £800* over budget, but fits upto 4.8″ and has adjustable dropouts to keep the chainstays short with 4.0″ tyres, carbon and has a bluto?

*fatty must be worth something complete, but I can’t imagine there’s much market for the frame/wheels individually as they’re not bits you’d upgrade to.

jam-bo

there was a guy selling a whole salsa mukluk for £1k last week. I toyed with it for a while but really don’t need one.

downhilldave

Sideways Cycles has the 9:ZERO:7 on offer at the mo, frame and fork for £400
    http://www.sidewayscycles.co.uk/products/index.php?id=1550&clid=3

igm

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Checking quickly the Fatty was weighted with the Smoothy Mixer cups in and the lower cup is huge. It was still a bit lighter than a Pugsley (which it should be) checking the Mukluk weight it seems the Fatty would be about halfway between the Pugsley and Mukluk. So half a pound.

The rims on the other hand probably and more than that each. Probably twice or more than that each.

epicyclo

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    ‘I don’t think the OO frame is too heavy. The rims are.’

There’s not much in it weightwise. I suspect the small amount of extra weight of the Fatty is more than made up for in stiffness.

Mukluk, medium, fixed dropout 2,164gms

Mukluk, medium, sliding dropout, 2,268gms

On-One Fatty, medium, 2,494gms

The lightest alloy frame I have is my 907, medium, fixed dropout, 1,858gms

(All the above are frames I have owned and weighed myself)

I reckon the upgrades I’d look at is a carbon fork and rims, and then tubeless on the Fatty. If you’re bored, paint it a different colour. On-One are sure to be along with a fat carbon soon. 🙂

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I reckon the upgrades I’d look at is a carbon fork and rims, and then tubeless on the Fatty. If you’re bored, paint it a different colour. On-One are sure to be along with a fat carbon soon.

Doesn’t really solve the 5″ dilemma the OP asked about… 5″ doesn’t fit on 70mm rims in the rear of a fatty, I tried. It does fit the front with the carbon fork 😉

Lester
    Free Member

im selling my carbon beargrease in Large, takes 5 inch tyre on front, might squeeze one on the rear.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘£1k to spend on 5" fatbike rolling chassis – options?’ is closed to new replies.