Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • £1k CX bike for commuting?
  • Pieface

I’m considering a CX bike for commuting. I have a budget of £1k and currently use a road bike. I’m tempted by the CX option as it has disc brakes which are a bonus in the wet but will also allow me some off-road options.

What are they like as road bikes? I’m assuming they won’t be much worse than my ‘Average’ road bike and the biggest difference will be down to tyre choice.

Does anyone have any recommendations at that price point? I’m liking the look of the Trek Crossrip as it has a carbon fork with mudguard and low-rider mounts for touring options.

Any experiences of using a CX as a ‘do it all’ bike much appreciated.

Jamie
    Free Member
    Pieface

That’s looking quite tough to beat.

monkeyp

Or, go for a Cannondale Synapse 105 disk. More road bike, but will take some wide touring tyres.

Love mine!

Pieface

I’d like to do off-road (e.g. easy bridleway) touring with it so not sure if the Synapse would be up to it.

AlexSimon

My CX bike is definitely a do-it-all bike.
    Really enjoy mixing all the road/double-track/fire-road/singletrack bits and pieces around the peaks. Then I can save the really technical stuff for the mountain bike.
    I’ll be doing some bivvying/touring on it this year too.

Great fun.

disclaimer – I’ve never owned a road bike, so I don’t really know what I’m missing on the road.

ashweee
    Free Member

I’ve just got myself a saracen hack 2 for commuting duties, I think it’s great on the road, haven’t gone off road yet though.

Last years model which is what I’ve got can be had pretty cheap online too.

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/saracen/urban-hack-2-2013-road-bike-ec043453

Pieface

Will the Planet X take full mudguards and Pannier rack?

D0NK

Mudflap compatible: No
    Pannier rack compatible: No

Was quite tempted by one myself apart from that 🙁

lucien

This Norco

CX bike, 105, rack and eye mounts, carbon fork, loads of clearance…..ticked all my boxes

richellicott
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to go a little bit different to the big brands and look at the Genesis Croix De Fer, a tad over budget at £1150 but you might be able to find a dealer willing to discount. Or the lower spec cdf at £900.

Pieface

Genesis’ seem expensive though when I can get a carbon forked jobby for less.

I’m open minded to the merits of a steel fork over carbon but can’t help thinking they’re a bit more fogiving.

A friend has just built up a disk equipped On One Uncle John. That will take pannier racks and mudguards.

It looks really nice.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m open minded to the merits of a steel fork over carbon but can’t help thinking they’re a bit more fogiving.

To give you something to chew over, I just built up a 2014 Croix De Fer and before that I had a Boardman CX with full carbon fork/alloy frame. Sounds silly, but I do have more confidence battering over things off-road with the Genesis because it’s built like a tank. The ride differences themselves were not a too dissimilar, but the Boardman was quicker to get up to speed. Noticeably on road.

…however, I forgot how many styles/fences I have round my way. So I am contemplating swapping the frame/forks for something lighter. So if you never have to lug it about, then it should definitely be a consideration.

richellicott
    Free Member

I know what you mean about the Genesis, I think brands like them are a bit more heart over head. I’ve got a Salsa Vaya for commuting and light adventure type riding. I could have bought an off the peg bike with better spec for the money, but I like to have something a bit different to the rest of the herd.

oomidamon

I’m currently looking for something similar. Top of my list is a Cannondale CAADX 105 but they seem to be sold out everywhere until late April.

D0NK

went from a steel genesis to a carbon forked kinesis. Fork is about the same comfort but frame is a harsher ride. Lighter weight is nice but I now worry about rock strikes, getting leant/banged against lamposts, crashes and generally getting knocked about, I’m sure riding wise they are as strong as each other but I bet the ali frame will be less robust against none riding abuse.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

The Giant TCX SLR 2 is pretty good for £999.

Had some problems with the brakes in the beginning, but have since sorted this out.

Carbon fork, with mostly 105 drivetrain and a lovely colourscheme.

Plus you get a lifetime warranty on the frame

Jamie
    Free Member

went from a steel genesis to a carbon forked kinesis. Fork is about the same comfort but frame is a harsher ride. Lighter weight is nice but I now worry about rock strikes, getting leant/banged against lamposts, crashes and generally getting knocked about, I’m sure riding wise they are as strong as each other but I bet the ali frame will be less robust against none riding abuse.

Hmm. Food for thought. Cheers, Donk. Maybe I am just having one of those grass is always greener kinda days…

MoreCashThanDash

Happy owner of last years Pinnacle Arkrise 3 here.

Currently running 32mm slicks, full mudguards and a rack. Doubling as my winter road bike so far this year done 970 miles on it, including a 95 mile audax.

Best value bike I’ve owned probably.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Kaffenbak with cx tyres Will? Selling my frame in August if any use, size 57cm i think

D0NK

Jamie it’s not a massive difference, but I can tell on the fairly short commutes I do, it’s no biggy but wondering if my arse/lower back will get punished on longer rides when the weather dries out. The change was forced on me, I guess time will tell whether lightweight pimpery was a wise choice for a commuter bike, check back with me in 2 or 3 years 🙂

iainc

I went through this process November time. The Arkose 3 was the hands down winner, on value, reviews etc. I was looking for a replacement for an 07 Jake the Snake and at the end of the day went for a Croix De Fer, as it was a bit ‘different’. The Pinnacle is better VFM though….

Jameso may be along soon 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

No problems with my aluminium framed Spesh Tricross, will take the knocks and bangs. None of these type of bikes are what you’d call cultured fun to ride bikes, they are all weighty slightly sluggish beasts.

Pieface

Rob – its CTW so thanks but no thanks, needs to be new.

Any reason not to get a Kaffenback?

P20

I’m happy with my Giant TCX SLR2.

nosaintangel
    Free Member

Another one for Planet x just bought one ,not for comuting mind.spec is very good value for 1k

martymac

merida cyclo cross 4?
    some places have them at 799, they are a pretty good bike, alloy, carbon fork, 105.
    my wife has one, has only ridden her mtb once since she got it.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

+1 for Saracen Hack 2 £750 at Evans. They only have 56cm size left tho.

robbie
    Free Member

Just got one of these on ctw. Arkose
    I’m loving it! hydraulic brakes, single up front, 105 and a carbon fork plus it comes in my fav colour 😆

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I have a Planet X uncle john and a Kaffenback.

Kaff is used for commuting with rack and guards, clearance is tight with 32mm tyres and had to cut the guard down with a 35 on the rear.

Currently using the UJ with discs and a kinesis carbon fork as a winter roadie and it’s bloody lovely. Plenty of clearance as it’s more cx than the Kaff.

Not had the rack on yet but will in the summer.

Basil

Loved my Trek Crossrip Elite, as my first Cross bike/commuter. Very good value 2nd hand. Got mine off here for £425.
    They are quite a different bike when compared to cross bikes like XLS and Dirty Disco’s.
    Trek was very much commuter/cross.

Basil

specialized AWOL ?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘£1k CX bike for commuting?’ is closed to new replies.