Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 1998 Honda Civic's
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Anyone know of common problems with them? Going to look at a 1.4i this weekend and would like to know what to look out for.

ski
    Free Member

We had a 3 door version, great car, went on to do mega miles, no issues at all!

Ours was the basic version, never had A/C, which looking back was a big mistake as it used to cook in the back with kids in tow in the summer.

The 5 door had a recall, something to do with the bolts to the suspension, so worth checking to see if that has been done, if you are going for the 5 door.

Think the 5 door was uk built and the 3 door was Jap. but could be wrong.

hora
    Free Member

Nostalgia-tastic 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The EK shape? Was looking at one as a runaround for the missus and baby until someone mentioned their ncap or whatever it is ratings compared to most other things.

plumber
    Free Member

I have a 2000 – its rather nicer than I imagined

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Had a 96, great engine, but rust was bad around rear wheels arches and sills which caused its demise last year.
    Seen a good few others like that too, maybe they cured it by 98 though

soma_rich
    Free Member

Cheers guys its a 3 door not sure what EK shape is…

stever
    Free Member

I had a 96 for 13 years. Spent bugger all on it other than the usual stuff. HTH 🙂

DickBarton

Was the 95-99 (ish) cars not also sharing parts with Rover cars? If so, I think the rust is due to the Rover parts rather than the Honda parts…mate has a Rover of that ilk and the Honda kit in it is faultless, another mate has an Accord and the Rover parts are failing miserably…

I say parts, I mean in the collaboration they had, Rover made some of the parts and Honda made other parts…

Also, I don't know for certain so could be utter rubbish so don't believe it until it has been proven true…

ski
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru thats the 5 door Swindon version, think Soma_Rich is looking at the Jap 3 door version, which is an altogether different car.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/civic-japan-1996/?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I have a 1997 1.4i which we've owned since 1999.

The engine is still faultless, the interior is much better than most cars of its ilk from the period, it's comfortable, fun to drive, happy at high speeds (no speed wobble past 80 etc.).

In the last year it's had new CVJs, a new exhaust and new brake pads. That's on a total of 8,000 miles this year. The MOT cost £250 including all the work mentioned. There is the start of some rust on the rear wheel arches however, although mine is the 5 door "built by rover" model. The Japanese ones I suspect are more reliable, and to be fair I've only seen 1 or 2 others suffer from rust like this.

It's surprisingly voluminous too- I can get my 57cm road bike in there without removing the wheels.

It's a superb car. I call it Doris.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I had my 5 door for 10 years and 198,000 miles and had very few problems until the gear box failing made me scrap it. Do check the fuel tank and sump – mine rusted after around 130,000 miles and were replaced.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘1998 Honda Civic's’ is closed to new replies.