Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1996 Kona Lava Dome…what forks would work best…?
  • brack
    Free Member

Marzocchi Bombers?

What steerer length etc

Please…

clubber
    Free Member

Streerer length will depend on frame or more importantly head tube size.

80-100mm travel works best IMO. 100 is a bit long but you get used to it. In 96, 3″ was dh travel…

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Bombers are generally quite long in comparison to RockShox. My 100mm 2010 Reba SL is only 470 mm axle to crown you might be able to get away with them.

If you could get a 80mm Reba presumably it would be 450mm this would be perfect.

clubber
    Free Member

I used 105mm mxcs on my 95 kilauea and as I said they were a bit long but you quickly got used to it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wasn’t 65 mm typical for xc in those days? 80 mm was a down hill fork. If you’re wondering what modern fork to fit, why not a fox float model and drop the travel down to 70mm (or anything you wanted) with the travel reduction spacers.

4ndyB
    Free Member

60-80mm max I believe

To be sure ask on Retrobike, someone will know what the bike came with, what it can take & what works best

clubber
    Free Member

96 was the year the 80mm pace rc36 came out. Worked perfectly on mine.

john_l
    Free Member

P2.

clubber
    Free Member

To be sure ask on Retrobike, someone will know what the bike came with, what it can take & what works best

Pretty sure that’s exactly what I’ve done 😉

kimbers

ive run 100mm bombers on my 97 lava dome no problem and im used to running it with the original p2s

only 05 bombers had massively long atoc heights

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve got some 100mm Manitous on my 2002 Lava Dome, and it seems to be ok.

I’ve not ridden it yet though…

😥

4ndyB
    Free Member

clubber so it is.

I tend to read the 1st post and answer the question, rather than reading the whole thread, which can be good thing as you miss out on all the crap that goes on, but you can also miss out on someone giving the same kinda answer that I’m about to post!

juiced
    Free Member

got 100mm mxc’s bombers on my 1999 sunn ( very similar to a kona geo) felt a bit long so reduced them using spacers to 80mm, Feels spot on now.

granny_ring

I used to rum 75mm manitou forks with 100mm stem on my caldera frame then changed them for 100mm judy forks & 80mm stem

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1996 Kona Lava Dome…what forks would work best…?’ is closed to new replies.