Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 1993 Downhill Crash Reel
  • plyphon
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7tlskJ_3Z0#t=151[/video]

And now suddenly my bike looks very capable.

njee20
    Free Member

Is that really the world cup? Surely not…

jambalaya
    Free Member

This bloke could ride in a bit in 1993

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X2i9S4r_yQ[/video]

fasthaggis

If you put your saddle down in 1993 you were disqualified ,fact! 🙂

doris5000

ha, i saw steve peat do that run in 93!

it was around then (probably 94 actually) that i saw him, on the same course, lose it over the bars on a fast fire-road section, cartwheel down the road in what looked like a rather painful, possibly bone-breaking crash, then jump up, run over to his bike which had landed about 20 yards away, and carry on his run as tho nothing had happened. I decided that downhill MTB racing was probably not for me.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Why the rear disc wheel?

njee20
    Free Member

Why the rear disc wheel?

Because it’s the early 90s and a Tioga Disc Drive was the best thing eva!

theotherjonv

1:25. “I could ride this no handed!”

1:28. “Actually i can’t”

richmtb

WTF are they wearing?

bombjack
    Free Member

There is some awesome retro metal in that video.

medoramas
    Free Member

This is hilarious!!!

Not that I can ride any better, but watching this is so entertaining! 😆

jekkyl

on the first vid from the op… is it me or are they all completely inept?

PJM1974
    Free Member

is it me or are they all completely inept?

My first thought when watching the vid was “get your arse over the wheel and drop your heels!”, but then I thought about it for a bit and realised that they’re riding flexy hardtails, with elastomer forks, old-skool tyres and canti (not vee!) brakes, so a sudden loss of grip is no surprise. Remember also that things often broke in those days too.

There’s just ten years between these bikes and Honda’s RN01…

fatboyjon

Or maybe you’re just lucky enough to be riding a modern fork with excellent brakes and great tyres, rather than the overcooked noodle construction of early suspension forks, cantis and 1.9 Z Max’s at 45psi. Ahh, them were the days.

When I ride places I had big crashes in my early years of riding (1987 onwards) I quite often think “what the **** did I do to come off here?”

fatboyjon

Just been thinking about how hard I saved to buy my first set of suspension forks and how great I thought they were. I can also remember going off the bike backside first on a climb because I wheelied over a small rock step and the resulting rebound on landing launched me over the back. Stuff was just great back then.

njee20
    Free Member

Despite all the equipment ‘issues’, they’re still riding very hesitantly. Obviously the WC DH racers of the time didn’t think “gosh, this would be easier on a V10 with Fox 40s and some 220mm disc brakes”, they were still very competent given what they had. I don’t think that’s any decent level of competition!

chestrockwell

Buy an early 90’s bike with the seat post right up, the stem right down, running on 1.95 tyres and ride something similar. You’ll get your answer.

I’d offer to lend you one of mine but I don’t want them damaging. Going back to retro after riding modern bikes was an eye opener but great fun.

doris5000

also for the most part, DH wasn’t really seen as a serious discipline in 1993. IIRC, most DH riders also raced XC the same weekend. I remember seeing Jason McRoy, newly crowned national champ, huffing and puffing round behind team raleigh the next day….

There were a few really fast kids coming through (anyone remember Andy Titley winning the juniors with a time that would have obliterated the senior field c 92/93?) but basically it wasn’t considered ‘proper’ mountain biking. Hill climbing was the thing, and I can remember the hill climb at the nationals getting more fanfare than the DH!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Because it’s the early 90s and a Tioga Disc Drive was the best thing eva!

So more than just fashion and the noise then!

neilthewheel

what a lot of camp costumery!

molgrips
    Free Member

Or maybe you’re just lucky enough to be riding a modern fork with excellent brakes and great tyres,

I also rode back then, and I wasn’t that inept although I was 18 in 1993 so that helped. If you were in your 30s at the time you’d have spent your life road cycling or most likely rambling and picked up an MTB for a bit of a change. But overall yes it was a lot harder. You had to work hard to keep upright on stuff like that.

also for the most part, DH wasn’t really seen as a serious discipline in 1993. IIRC, most DH riders also raced XC the same weekend.

This ^^

maxtorque

When i finally get my time machine working, the second thing i’m going to do is to take back some dropper posts to 1993! Should be able to sell them for about £1000 a pop in the pits at that race alone…. 😉

(the first thing i’m going to do is to go back as give myself the Time Machine years ago to cut out all this laborious and expensive phaff-ing in actually having to make one…… #timeparadox)

jambalaya
    Free Member

this all reminds me of that spoof steel city downhill film

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘1993 Downhill Crash Reel’ is closed to new replies.