Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 196k on a T4 – will it be trouble?
  • rob2
    Free Member

Seen a converted T4 camper near me. Done 196k. Is it likely to be on its last legs?

He wants 6.8k, I was thinking more like 6? Thoughts? (Its1994 Reg and only 20mins away so thought I’d check it out)

iolo
    Free Member

£7k on a T4 with 200k miles? Seriously? I would never consider it unless it has full main dealer service history. And at least £2k cheaper. But that’s just me.

Waderider
    Free Member

I think you should buy it. Everyone knows Volkswagons are invincible.

steveh

Or that money could have got you my mates 08 ducato with 98k that he’s just sold. I love vw’s and have had many but there is a limit to what the scene tax is worth.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

you can buy my T3 1985 if you like heck i’ll even deliver it to your door for that money !

rob2
    Free Member

You’ve made real my concern!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bahaha

Buy it youll double your money selling it on here its a love in for em.

roblane65
    Free Member

hell my 51 plate got 179 thou and still going strong. that price isn’t untoward if it’s a nice one go and look and he’ll probably show you bills for thousands over the years if he’s a real fan.

Phil_H

My 1994 T4 is on 235K, Engine is fine but it needed a load of welding for its last MOT and the body work is getting ratty.
    90K of those miles are mine.
    I’d be nervous of buying one with nearly 200K on the clock.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You could just glue this onto something better value 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d be asking converted by who? Someone on their driveway? No way. A proper one, a California, would be ok for £6.8k even with those miles.

Personally though, I’d never pay that kind of money for a 20 year old van with knocking on for 200k miles.

I’d look for a really nice late T4 long nose with a fraction of the miles, loads of goodies and convert it yourself.

hora
    Free Member

I always spend up to 5k on cars. I would (thinking about it) stretch abit and pay 11k on a normal 5seat T5 and partly convert as money allowed. I wouldn’t be paying even 5k for a 200k converted van.

I’d still like a Hiace but they get worked to death before coming up for sale.

pictonroad

Thing with campers is that you can’t comment without seeing it. £7k on a van kept in a garage all its life with a full camping interior, eberspacher, hilo roof updated suspension and a rebuilt engine is a bargain.

£7k on a rotter with non tested bed and a smoky 2.4d isn’t.

So, well meaning as those ^ opinions are, they aren’t relevant in the slightest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So, well meaning as those ^ opinions are, they aren’t relevant in the slightest.

True but it’s done 200k miles somewhere, if it’s not mentioning a new engine or a rebuild then it probable hasn’t had any of those things. It’s almost certainly trading on the VW/lifestyle tax/residuals crap.

hora
    Free Member

Ok, 200k is still 200k that you are investing into/buying into.

If the engine goes pop in 6months you aren’t going to scrap 7k are you?

If the gearbox goes you aren’t going to scrap 7k are you?

In those 200k – how as its current and previous owners driven the engine and gearbox? Careful, warmed up, laboured? Has it been giving the owner niggling problems recently and hes decided enoughs enough?

So your comment, although well meaning is not relevant pictonroad.

It might have a nice interior, it might have had expensive fittings but at a certain point every vehicle turns into a folly/ongoing list of jobs to sort for its owner.

pictonroad

How many VW campers have you owned Hora? I’m on my 5th, people can and do completely rebuild them from the ground up. Mileage might be irrelevant, some of the most sought after T4 vans are the high mileage “coke vans”

It could be a california syncro? How much would that be worth?

Go on them, my 1999 T4 2.5Tdi has 89k on the clock. Tell me how much it’s worth from that info, if you get within £1k I’ll donate a fiver to the charity of your choice. 😛

Too many “ifs”.

hora
    Free Member

people can and do completely rebuild them from the ground up

Refer back to my comment

I’d rather spend abit more and walk into a c80k newer miler.

BTW/off-topic my boss has a 71 splitscreen. I’d like to like it. I really would. Knowing it- not so sure.

pictonroad

So would I.

Doesn’t change the value of that van though

You driven a splittie? It’s an experience, I’d like one to cruise around in but it would have to be garaged and preferably kept in The Algarve.

trail_rat
    Free Member

drove my mates imported splitty

i loved the “feel” i hated the “drive” – it was worse than driving my land rover and thats saying something given i had non working shock absorbers when i took it off the road…..

“I’d rather spend abit more and walk into a c80k newer miler.”

120k – 200k . makes no odds.

Its gonna have similarly big bills. Whats it like to get a rebuild on a t4 engine ? can you get the parts easy enough to do a rebuild your self – what like a price are they. The engines the least of my worries these days. If the body work isnt rotten then i probably wouldnt worry too much about it IF and only IF it wasnt my only car and my daily driver – and i was mad keen on them (which im not) hora would probably have a shit fit at my landy – but its mine and i love working on it as much as i love driving it….. and im sure its the same for many vw owners…… how ever as with any marque there are those that buy /trash/tart up / sell/repeat.

How ever i still wouldnt pay 6 or 7k for a 20 year old transporter with 200k as nice as your syncro is pictonroad.

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/vw-t4-camper/1099319933

There you go OP. If VW is your bag 12 monts younger, reconditioned engine and four grand cheaper.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Go on them, my 1999 T4 2.5Tdi has 89k on the clock. Tell me how much it’s worth from that info, if you get within £1k I’ll donate a fiver to the charity of your choice.

[default STW answer]As much as someone is willing to pay?[/default STW answer]

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘196k on a T4 – will it be trouble?’ is closed to new replies.