Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 180mm forks on a dh frame?
  • ton

do you have to run triple crowns on a dh frame or would it compromise the handling too much to run a 180mm standard fork.
    most of the200mm forks seem to be coil and i think i may need to run a air fork.

mboy
    Free Member

Probably be ok. Most single crown 180mm forks are about the same a2c height as a 200mm dual crown fork iirc, as the crown has to be thicker on the single crown fork.

EDIT: I know someone that was 20+ stone and used to ride DH though, and he used air sprung Boxxers on his bike. He used to do ok too, reasonably quick if a little lacking in finesse.

GW
    Free Member

I prefer the feel of a 7″ fork on a DH bike (I run a stiffer spring in 8″ forks) axle to crown is what matters. And this is far mote adjustable on a dual crown fork.
    Boxxers can be air sprung BTW

ton

cheers boys
    i have just found some solo air boxxers.

neil853
    Free Member

what you looking at Ton? Nice big bike 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

I used to ride with Domains ’09s (180mm) which were slightly taller (certainly felt like it) compared to Boxxer ’04s (180mm).

Sorry about the wonky photo!

IA

Ran 180mm solo air totems for a few years, work fine. Same A-C as boxxers at 200mm.

Random side benefit if you don’t have a van: bike fits in cars easier.

Oh I will say, compared to boxxers etc with narrow tubes, you run much lower pressures in totems (massive air volume). I’m 85kg and run about 45psi, for example.

If you’re big, might be a consideration, as you could run a lower pressure in totems? Might be more reliable? Having said that, there are some beasts on the DH scene, no idea what the max pressure in boxxer WCs is.

ton

reason i was asking, i spoke to mojo and tftuned who both advised me to go for a air or a coil with air assist fork.
    it seems non of the available springs that go in a dual crown for are suitable for a bifter like myself.

GeForceJunky

Sounds like reasonable advice. I’ve run a mix of 200mm 888’s and older shivers on my DH bike but prefer the 66 single crowns I current have fitted. Looking to replace them with some Totems at the moment.

IA

reason i was asking, i spoke to mojo and tftuned who both advised me to go for a air or a coil with air assist fork.
    it seems non of the available springs that go in a dual crown for are suitable for a bifter like myself.

I looked up the numbers, as I thought, there’s an advantage in the totem in terms of being able to run a lower pressure.

For a boxxer world cup I’d be looking at 80psi, compared to 45 in my totems. No experience to back this up, but I’d think a lower pressure would be better in terms of reliability etc – everything under less stress.

(boxxer air pressure guide here, max 200psi http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/tuning_guides/boxxerworldcup_tuningguide_en.pdf )

jam-bo

only downside I found to single crowns, was that on really, really steep corners it was too easy to tuck the front wheel under and do a barspin to headplant.

with triples you’d hit the stops and it would be easier to save it.

ton

just found some air totems, price is not to bad.
    thanks for the advice.

flange
    Free Member

I ran 180mm air totems on my Canfield and they were spot on. As mentioned, single-crowns are a lot less hassle than dual crowns when moving bikes about.

IA

barspin to headplant.

Haha, true story. I remember the first time out with mine was at dunkeld in the snow + ice. Discovered an exciting new way to crash when I booted it off the stump at the bottom, landed on some ice, spun the bars 180 degrees, some how kept it upright but then panicked and bailed off the back of the bike!

legend
    Free Member

Avoid 32mm Boxxer World Cups, they really are shit. When speaking to TF tuned about setting them up they simply advised putting a coil in them instead – much better! To stop them sitting miles into their travel I was having to run a load of compression damping – to the point they would start spiking, and I didn’t even weigh 10st at the time!

35mm models should be a bit better though

rocketman
    Free Member

Plenty of Scott Voltages with 200m dc or 180 sc forks. FR30/20/10 same frame different forks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘180mm forks on a dh frame?’ is closed to new replies.