Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • 18 years without drink or drugs….
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Aye, that would do it.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Nice one Tang

Jamie
    Free Member

Could be a reaction to the fact I have to buy a new vacuum today.

They do say that nature abhors a vacuum.

yunki
    Free Member

Those that are abstinent – Do you feel you’re reaping the benefits?

Having been an habitual drug and/or alcohol user myself, since pre-adolescence, with periods of abstinence lasting an average of three or four years (I’m currently going through another drinking phase and seriously considering abstinence again) I can’t say that I’ve drawn any satisfactory conclusions..

Why should I be encouraged to abstain again? Sell the idea to me…

cruzcampo
    Free Member

As i’ve got older I find hangovers run into the early working week 😯 Tend not to bother so much nowadays, few beers friday/saturday night, or glass of red, thats pretty much it.

zippykona

I have one beer then absolutely crave a cup of tea. Just can’t do two.
    Used to be one of those people getting everyone dancing now I just watch.
    Would love to get right royally ****. Maybe one day.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sell it to yourself, surely?

i.e Why did you abstain previously.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Isn’t moderation rather than abstinence the best policy with booze?

Each to their own in the other case.

Jamie
    Free Member

I am about to try and abstain for 2015. Mainly as I drank enough most of this year for it to become a bit of a concern. If that goes well, then 2016 will be back to moderation.

…although I do struggle with moderation, hence the abstaining 😛

iainc

^^^ similar here, so I tried ‘sober October’, partly to see of I felt ‘different’ and partly as was heading for a big operation end November. Found it remarkably easy, more habit than any thing else I think. Am contemplating having a dry January but wish I could do moderation instead !!

tang
    Free Member

Indeed, sell it to your self. I maxed out at 21, the next logical step was to move on and try clean living. The delights of opium were scary, in as much as its quite possibly the finest feeling to surrender to. I’m not talking shooting up a bag of skag, but raw sticky fresh stuff sampled amongst the heat and exotica of where its produced.
    I figured the world had more to offer me than intoxication and chasing it(I’m talking heavy duty). I literally woke up one morning on Dartmoor and consciously decided that it ended there and embarked on an adventure to prove it to myself.
    Its a bit annoying having solid boundaries sometimes(I’ve also never eaten meat or fish) but it’s my choice, I’m not evangelical about it.

chewkw
    Free Member

tang – Member
    The delights of opium were scary, in as much as its quite possibly the finest feeling to surrender to.

I see the old eastern delight – opium, but how on earth do you get hooked on opium instead of crack? I mean you need to be deliberate to hook on opium you know …

Its a bit annoying having solid boundaries sometimes(I’ve also never eaten meat or fish) but it’s my choice, I’m not evangelical about it.

I hear opium, vegetarian or vegan … are you into eastern/Asian religion?

Coz that’s what the locals offer to the eastern grim reapers (temple of the underworld with grim reapers) … they love that stuff. Seriously. :mrgreen:

My grandma used to refer opium consumption as a lazy habit coz one of my grand uncle got hooked on that stuff in China long time ago. Ya, opium and prostitution … I think my grandpas and many others were into them in those days as hobbies.

Anyway, well done to kicking the opium habit.

😮

tang
    Free Member

I’m half British establishment, half Bengali Brahmin. My Bengali side have a tradition of one male per generation disappearing for a few years, I took the offer.

chewkw
    Free Member

tang – Member

I’m half British establishment, half Bengali Brahmin. My Bengali side have a tradition of one male per generation disappearing for a few years, I took the offer.

Namaste Brahmin. If your father is Bengali (Brahmin) you are, I think, a full Brahmin if you are “selected” to follow the path. Yes, it’s rather common for the male heir to continue the path.

I see I guess right in one way or another.

Be good, live well, prosper and no vice for you.

🙂

edit: oh ya … don’t get crazy on booze.

scruff9252

Tang, I’ll echo the sentiment that if you ever fancy writing a book, I’ll gladly buy it. Sounds like you have had a particularly interesting life.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

It was a necessity that became a life saving choice. One was too many a thousand never enough. Grateful every single day.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Those that are abstinent – Do you feel you’re reaping the benefits?

Having been an habitual drug and/or alcohol user myself, since pre-adolescence, with periods of abstinence lasting an average of three or four years (I’m currently going through another drinking phase and seriously considering abstinence again) I can’t say that I’ve drawn any satisfactory conclusions..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgMdgs1jLiY[/video]

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I am about to try and abstain for 2015. Mainly as I drank enough most of this year for it to become a bit of a concern. If that goes well, then 2016 will be back to moderation.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAj26rVWK14[/video]

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘18 years without drink or drugs….’ is closed to new replies.