Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • 18 year old son wants a tattoo.
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I’m not quite so sure why it is that I feel so disappointed and deflated.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Tell him you’ll help him pick out a design and go with him when he gets it done.

But first, ask him to accompany you while you get a Prince Albert fitted.

ThePinkster

If you don’t want him to have one show him some pictures of old faded tattoos to give him an idea of what hey’ll look like when he’s 40?

Sounds like classic teenage rebellion stuff to me though.

badnewz
    Free Member

We look back at the Victorians and think, how could they wear such stupid hats?
    We look back at the Georgians and think, who’d want to wear powdered wigs?
    They will look at our time and think, why did they get tattoos?
    I blame David Beckham, comprehensive schooling and Channel 4.

wwaswas

They will look at our time and think, why did they get tattoos?

I suspect global warming, the way the economy only benefited the rich and third world poverty and starvation will be things we get looked askance for, not skin decoration.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Sounds like classic teenage rebellion stuff to me though.

Do you look at anyone when you walk down the street? Rebels are the ones without tattoos.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only let him get it if it’s cool like this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s6s19K]IMG_20150501_191057582[/url] by alan cole, on Flickr

ahwiles
    Free Member

The Pinkster – Member
    … what hey’ll look like when he’s 40?

he’s 18, the concept of being 40 is simply incomprehensible to him.

everyone
    Free Member

Tell him to come up with an idea for himself but that he has to sit on it for a year. If he still wants it after a year then it’s probably not just an idle fancy.

FWIW I joked with my mum that I was either getting a tattoo or a motorbike when I was 18. Eventually got a tattoo when I was 22 (paid for with my own money)

binners
    kimbers

sever all ties, exclude him from your will and cover over every picture of him in your house

at least he told you, I got a tattoo when I was 19, I dont think I ever informed my parents I was going to do it1

wrecker
    Free Member

I had one done at 15. My mum found out two years later. We didn’t have a close relationship.

wwaswas

My niece got a tattoo when she was 14.

Her mum wasn’t best pleased when she found out 3 years later.

wrecker
    Free Member

Is that you uncle dave? 😀

Solo
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    he’s 18, the concept of being 40 is simply incomprehensible to him.

That is sooooo true.

Also true, nearly all 40 somethings and older, I know. Regrett their tatts. Hide them or undergo the seemingly “uncomfortable” process of removal.

But yeah, 18 years? He might hear you, but he aint listening.

allthegear
    Free Member

If the worst thing he does* whilst being 18 is get a tattoo, I think you can be pretty pleased you brought him up well. Stop worrying.

* not that I see anything wrong with tattoos. I mean, why not? I’m trying to decide on one at the moment…

Rachel

munrobiker
    Free Member

Tell him to come up with an idea for himself but that he has to sit on it for a year. If he still wants it after a year then it’s probably not just an idle fancy.

This. I always fancied one and was particularly keen when I was 18, which is only about 9 years ago, but sat on the idea and fortunately got over it because my idea then was crap. I keep coming back to one but doubt I’ll ever do it.

T1000
    Free Member

my cousin had a bluebird tat now she she’s so fat it looks like a turkey

jamiep
    Free Member

I wanted one well before 18 but waited til 20 to be sure of what I wanted. Now 41 and still like it, and am only now currently planning my second

binners

Its not a full backpiece of Jimmy Saville sat on the Jim’ll Fix It chair he’s having, is it? With everything thats come out over the last few years, I now regret that one

richc
    Free Member

My cousin got two done at 15, one was a dolphin on her shoulder the other was a stemmed rose on her boob.

10 years on they still look as shit as they day they were done (rose stem is longer though)

fasthaggis

OP,wait till you see it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have one on my willy – my favourite Irish town. Sometimes it looks like “Newry” but in its full glory it’s actually Newtownmounthenry.

kimbers

Well I’m 38 and I still like my tattoo just fine , not sure I was bothered how it’d look in 20 years time when i got it done and it’ll only look cooler in another 20 years I reckon! , usual STW grumpiness, let him find his own way (and anyway, chicks dig tats, fact !)

If anything just make sure he gets it done at a decent studio, worth paying extra for a good artist and materials

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Some valid points and some different perspective, thank you.

I think my real issue is not that i don’t like tattoos, actually I don’t mind them, I just wouldn’t want one myself. I think that it is more that a decision that is made at 18 stays with you forever.

Anyway, not much that I can do, other than advise against it.

ads678

Not sure why you’d be disappointed OP, tattoos are so fashionable that surely you’d have expected it at his age.

Any way see what he wants and at circa £50 an hour tell him he has to pay for it if you’re really against it. And like has been said above, get him to sit on an idea for a while and see if still wants it.

Not everyone regrets their tattoos, it’s usually just the people that get rubbish ones done when pissed or something. I’m 39 and don’t regret mine at all. Inks are much better these days as well so they last better.

matt_outandabout

Of all the decisions to take at 18, the impact on future life should not be too late, unless he is going for full face…?

Rockplough
    Free Member

If anything just make sure he gets it done at a decent studio, worth paying extra for a good artist and materials

+100000

As for when he’s 40, I’m sure he’ll be too busy staring in the mirror wondering how he got old to worry about a tattoo.

Rockape63
    Free Member

pretty understandable to me….I’d take him down the Pub, sit him down and tell him it would upset you very much if he did it, but if he really feels that strongly about it….its his body!

(if he goes for it then you’ll feel doubly disappointed and deflated!)

footflaps

Every time I go to the gym (which is most days), I’m still surprised by the fact that everyone under 30 seems to have a tattoo.

When I was young only hookers, criminals and sailors had tattoos….

allthegear
    Free Member

6pt Helvetica Neue Condensed is the ultimate test of a tattooist’s skill, deadlydarcy…

Rachel

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Research research research, learn what a good tattoo really looks like, be 100% on the subject matter, choose a good artist and let them design it, be prepared to travel, be prepared to wait and expect to pay upwards of £70 per hour or £450 day rates.

mooman
    Free Member

Whilst on holidays. The kids and I would play guess the tattoo era on the Brits walking around the pool.
    I think that kinda put them off the idea themselves (they are now 23 & 24yrs old).

An old friend of mine had the usual tattoos done about 30yrs ago. Forearm and shoulder.
    Recently got involved with a new woman who was herself into tattoos … in his mid 40`s he has now had full sleeves, and in process of getting both legs done too … 45 going on 18 … but sadly still looks 45.

yunki
    Free Member

Tell him to come up with an idea for himself but that he has to sit on it for a year. If he still wants it after a year then it’s probably not just an idle fancy

I think that’s the line I was given when I was around 15 or so.. it prompted me to go out and get a cheap, shit tattoo in secret the following week..

The only real way around this is to get into it and get matching tattoos.. Traditionally they are tribal symbols, and you don’t get any more tribal than parent and child..

You’d be giving summink (sic) back to the tradition, bonding with yer lad and he’d end up maybe learning something about the history of tattooing and not perhaps ending up with a crap design..

Let him pick to start with but steer him down the road of something with a bit of artistic merit, negotiate, put some thought into your choice and get something that has meaning for both of you.. or get something bespoke.. research styles and then find a good relevant tattooist to do the work, find out about the historical symbolism behind certain designs etc

He might go off it by the time it’s all settled..

franksinatra

he’s 18, the concept of being 40 is simply incomprehensible to him

I’m 37 and the idea of being 40 is simply incomprehensible to me

franksinatra

But are tattoo’s really forever now? Channel 4 certainly give the impression that if you don’t like it, you just get it lasered off.

Rockplough
    Free Member

What you could do is look out for a tattoo convention near you. No better way to see a wide variety of styles and designs, talk to the artists etc. and if he sees something he likes get a walk-up on the day.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Ultimately, its his choice. But make sure its somewhere hideable, chest, upper arms etc. A large, stupid tattoo on his neck won’t help his career.

lunge

Ultimately, its his choice. But make sure its somewhere hideable, chest, upper arms etc. A large, stupid tattoo on his neck won’t help his career.

This is very, very good advise. Combine this with getting it from a good artist and you’re fine. He may love it forever, but if he doesn’t at least he can hide it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The best thing you can do is to advise him to find the best artist to fit his needs. Tel him to Do research and make sure hes getting what he wants. If its done well it will look as good in 20 years as when it gets done.

Aside from that its really bugger all to do with you what he does with himself, hes an adult now, deal with it. If it really disappoints you that much then your expectations are clearly unreasonable, not like hes taking up a smack habit now is it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘18 year old son wants a tattoo.’ is closed to new replies.