Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 1.8" mud tyres? Talk to me…
  • cookeaa

I’ve decided the crappy no name 2.0″ on the back of my winter SS just ain’t cutting it, it’ not getting much grip and doesn’t seem to have enough mud clearance on the stays to prevent it churning several kilos of shite on there and then dragging like a bastard!

So I’ve decided to look for something a tad thinned (~1.8″) and maybe with a more winter specific tread pattern, Oh and tubeless compatibility might be a nice bonus too.

Suggestions please…

IHN

Dunno about tubeless, but my harcore winter/mud tyres are 1.9 Trailrakers. They’re excellent.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

I’ve got a Panaracer Mud Pro on the back of my SS (Rocket Ron on the front). Great in mud and pretty fast rolling, but a bit sketchy in other places.

Dirty Dan looks interesting but I’ve not tried one.

thepurist

Bonty Mud X 1.8 TLR (or XR Mud as it’s apparently now called)

mattjg
    Free Member

As above, Mud X, good mixed conditions winter tyre, IMO not as mud specific as the name suggests, but it’s pretty rare you want a 100% mud specific tyre..

Northwind

I don’t like Mud Xs much at all for anything other than mud, the lack of grip on some other surfaces is pretty awful… And that can include “big rocks in the middle of mud”, which ain’t ideal. But they are phenomenal on the back for mudshoveling.

brassneck

Mud X or Trailraker 1.95s come up pretty skinny.

If you want stupid skinny due to clogging up, Conti XC 1.5s still do the job, but aren’t much fun – purely for going places fast.

stumpy01

Continental Edge work for me.

rOcKeTdOg

Mud x, great in slop, cookie dough and sorbet mud and roll surprisingly well on tarmac too

mud x by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

bowglie

Specialized Sauserwind’s – I found ’em to be a good lightweight non-mud specific winter tyre, they’re also a piece of cake to run tubeless.

Here’s the BR review http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/product/sauserwind-control-2bliss-tyres-33005

I’ve got a pair of ’em (26″ X 1.8″‘s) going spare if you’re interested. (I now have 29er hardtail as winter bike)

stoat

maxxis medusas work well enough for me here

cookeaa

Well it’s not grip so much as rear wheel traction when I have to get cranking on the SS in slop that’s the issue and of course mud clearance, by cinching ~5mm off the tires width I’m hoping to solve that issue, some thing a touch more spikey may yield more traction in the shite too?

Running it without tubes might improve the levels of comfort with a 1.8″

Brassneck – 1.5″ isn’t out of the question I suppose, I found some Schwable Black Shark Mud in 1.5″ on On-ones site which could be worth a punt…

It’s an old frame with minimal mud clearance, I’m just not sure how comfy a 1.5″ would be over on a 4 hour+ ride, I might get a bit too much of a beating with such a small air volume, but its still be worth consideration, Hmmm…

Cheers all…

jameso

26″? Maxxis medusas are good mud tyres. Also, new conti mud kings have been making it very hard for me to follow some friends using them.

cookeaa

bowglie – not really sure about the Sauserwinds for mud, I’ve had a 2.1 captain on the back in the past and that’s got a similar tread, pretty shallow, close spaced tread blocks, didn’t really offer the kind of traction or mud clearing I’m after, but I can see where you going, a good light weight narrow tire, not sure the tread would do the job quite…

Medusa? Hmmm,

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Will be taking a pair of tubeless Medusas out later.

If I don’t report back tomorrow, they’re obviously crap and I’ll be in a ditch somewhere 😆

Nobby

Those Black Sharks are unbeatable for traction in real mud/slop but they are very much a one trick pony & useless on most other surfaces.

bowglie

cookeaa – no worries. Not sure if Maxxis do ’em in 26″ yet, but I’m running Beavers (dreadful name) on my 29er and am very impressed with their on & off road performance – roll much better than Mud X’s IMO. Might just be the 29er effect, but I’ve managed to ride the bike up a real greasy rock & rooty mud gully that’s defeated my 26er on Mud X’s.

Again, s’pose it’s only relevant if the Maxxis do the 26er Beavers, but the 29er version comes up a bit high volume for a 2″ maxxis – they’re quite a bit taller and fatter looking and feeling than 2″ Mud X’s.

captaindanger

All the mud specific tyres are likely to be excellent. I use 1.9 trailrakers and frankly the only mud you notice is that which is all over the bike when you’ve finished. They’re not too pricey either.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X 1.8 TLR (or XR Mud as it’s apparently now called)

+1

As above, Mud X, good mixed conditions winter tyre, IMO not as mud specific as the name suggests, but it’s pretty rare you want a 100% mud specific tyre..

+1

Mud x, great in slop, cookie dough and sorbet mud and roll surprisingly well on tarmac too

+1 no idea why they are good on the road but they are.

Good all rounder in and out of the mud 😉

stumpy01

cookeaa – Member
    bowglie – not really sure about the Sauserwinds for mud, I’ve had a 2.1 captain on the back in the past and that’s got a similar tread, pretty shallow, close spaced tread blocks, didn’t really offer the kind of traction or mud clearing I’m after, but I can see where you going, a good light weight narrow tire, not sure the tread would do the job quite…

Sauserwind & Captain have got quite different treads.

I’ve currently got a Sauserwind on the back of my FSR that replaced a Captain. The Sauserwind is more like a mini High Roller.
    The Captain always tended to clag up a lot in mud. The Sauserwind clears better, but doesn’t seem to bite very well in deep mud.

I think they are good overall tyres (the Sauserwind particularly), but wouldn’t want them as specific mud tyres.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I can report happiness with my Medusas.

Running them Tubeless. Need a bit less air in the front next time.

Not as draggy as my Swampthing/Minion combo, and ideal for woods and soft terrain, tho they were also fine on frozen grass, farm tracks and on the road.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘1.8" mud tyres? Talk to me…’ is closed to new replies.