Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 170 or 175mm cranks? Why choose which? And how do you measure crank length?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Just about to order my Hammerschmidt cranks from the States 😀 , but they come in 170mm or 175mm variants… Fairly sure all my cranks are 175mm (though how do you actually measure this? I assume from centre of the pedal bolt to the centre of the crank bolt?). Why would you choose one over the other? Any advantages to shorter cranks (it's only 5mm ffs, what can it really do?)

cheers 8)

brakes
    Free Member

it's only 5mm ffs

exactly – I'd order 175 because it sounds better

psychle
    Free Member

OK, just realised all my cranks are 175mm (they're helpfully marked as such on the inside of the arm 🙄 ) should I just stick with the same length? or is there a reason to consider 170mm cranks?

psychle
    Free Member

exactly – I'd order 175 because it sounds better

does it? as in 'mine is bigger than yours'? 😆

paulosoxo
    Free Member

it's 10mm 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

eh? how so? 175-170=5mm doesn't it? where's the extra 5mm come from?

brakes
    Free Member

the other side

psychle
    Free Member

ahhh… that makes sense… so does that 10mm make a difference? Who should go for 170mm cranks over 175mm?

psychle
    Free Member

bugger it, I'm going with 170mm… should give me a teeny tiny reduced chance of pedal strike right? 😆

brakes
    Free Member

and left

psychle
    Free Member

ha ha… 🙄 😆

4ags4
    Free Member

more leverage with the 175's, 170's – better if your short (and spin nicely)

psychle
    Free Member

30" inseam… 5'8" tall. I've never had any issues (or even really thought about) my current 175mm cranks, I've ordered the 170mm Hammer's now, will just have to see if I can actually notice a difference 😆

theboatman
    Free Member

I'm a little 'un and I've just swapped from 175mm to 170mm on my Soul(mainly on the grounds my road bike has 170mm cranks and it feels great), to be fair can't really tell the difference, but something totally unquantifiable in my brain is telling me they are 'nicer' 😯

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

more leverage with the 175's

it's equivalent to a small gear change, less than one tooth on the biggest rear sprocket…

MisterT

always an interesting debate – read this what crank lengths?

jimmy

but something totally unquantifiable in my brain is telling me they are 'nicer'

I did the same in reverse because they ony had 175s. Something in my head is telling me my legs are doing a huge revolution now and I feel like I'm riding a clown's bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘170 or 175mm cranks? Why choose which? And how do you measure crank length?’ is closed to new replies.