Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 165 mm cranks for DH bike
  • littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Do I want to go with 165mm cranks on the DH bike or stay with 170 mm??

I'm not very tall and think the little bit extra ground clearance could be handy….

Advice much appreciated 🙂

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

have you ever rode a bike with 165 cranks?

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

nope

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i would stick with what you know.

165mm feel so small. you do notice it.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I've run 165s for years as I'm only 5'2". I definitely wouldn't want to go any longer on my Slopestyle as I do notice the odd pedal strike (moreso than with my previous bikes) even with short cranks. I do notice the difference if I ride a bike with 175s. How tall are you?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I'm just under six foot and have an inside leg of about 32". I run 165mm on my DH bike and have run the same on my trail bike until very recently, when I went back to 175mm simply because that's what the LBS had in stock when I needed a set.

I honestly can't feel the difference but then tbh I have little idea as to what the difference is likely to feel like.

On a DH bike, the benefit is going to really depend on how low your BB is. If it's one of the new Spesh Demo 8s then they have somthing like a sub 13" BB which is lower than haydes so yes, probably 165mm are needed regardless of how tall you are. If it's a much higher BB then maybe you won't feel any benefit.

It will also make a difference as to whether you run flats or Spuds. If you ground out on flats at speed, then you end up going down really hard. On Spuds you can ground out and get away with it. So if you're running flats, then perhaps having 165mm cranks is a good insurance policy?

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Cheers for the input 🙂

I'm 5'3" and run flats. They'll be going on a 2006 Glory (difficult to find actual spec, but looks like BB clearance is a little over 14" which is quite a bit I guess)

I was most worried about loosing power through the pedal stroke if I went with 165 mm – but it seems mixed whether this is noticeable?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think it would make a difference to the pro/elite level XC field. I am not sure you'd feel at a disadvantage on a DH bike unless you were on a super pedally course.

I suppose, taking a purely mechanical perspective, shorter cranks generate less mechanical leverage. You would most likely notice that when really cranking onf a big gear. On a DH bike, you should aim to be spinning the pedals at a smooth rate not cranking a massive gear really slowly so I think, mechanically, there is no advantage to running longer cranks and only disadvantages.

BBs seem to be getting lower, just like handlebar rises and front ends. The sub 13" on the new Demo 8 is ridiculously low (although it's also relative to how much travel you have of course). 14-14.5" on an 8" travel bike used to be pretty standard and anything less than 14" was regarded as being low.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Super – I'll go with the 165 then 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘165 mm cranks for DH bike’ is closed to new replies.