Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 160mm travel Bike
  • alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Looking at getting a newer frame than my 2009 Orange Alpine
    Any suggestions ?

2014 onwards preffered. Stick with the Alpine or look elsewhere?

BoardinBob

Frame only?

Nukeproof Mega
    Transition Patrol
    Canyon Strive
    Etc

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Yes, frame only

hot_fiat

Cotic flare? Bit of a drop in travel but they look lurvelly.

I’m in pretty much the same boat as you. Got a 2012 alpine and not sure what to move on to. I’d like a new alpine, but the lack of 2x capability makes me worried.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Loving my Airdrop Edit. 150 travel but same intention really

northernmatt

<stealth ad>

Mondraker Dune?

</stealth ad>

sharkattack

Loving my Airdrop Edit.

Any pictures?

jambalaya
    Free Member

2009 Alpine frame so 26″ and you want a post 2014 frame in what wheelsize ?

hairyscary

Vitus Sommet at CRC.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Budget? are you lokking to keep your forks and wheel (size)?

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Budget? are you lokking to keep your forks and wheel (size)?

2009 Alpine frame so 26″ and you want a post 2014 frame in what wheelsize ?

Around £800 but flexible as I will sell the old frame & my carbon hardtail is an option if I need more funds. Initially would like to keep what I have and upgrade bit by bit.

I noticed on a kids bike site a Transition Covert and a Banshee Rune that run with both wheels sizes. I posted a wheel size question recently which left me quite confident that the wheel size wont be a major issue.

kayak23

Yeah, Rune is a good shout for either wheels. Mate rated his very high (although past tense obvs)

chrishc777
    Free Member

sharkattack – Member
    Loving my Airdrop Edit.
    Any pictures?

If our budget is £800 for frame strectch it by £150 and you get a brand new one with warranty.

I’m rubbish at pics so the colour doesn’t look right, it’s actually very bright orange. Grey and raw also available.

I had a Covert before the Edit, also a great bike. Doesn’t take 650b without bodging, although in 2014 they made a 650b specific one. This was my 2013 26″

Plenty of Runes on Pinkbike as well

gelert
    Free Member

The 2014 Alpine 160 was the last of the 26 inch frames. Great bike. The geo-adjust slider is useful and turns it into a really efficient pedaler. It’s an exceptionally good technical climber in either mode. Point it down and I’m certainly the limiting factor. I’ll never max out it’s DH potential. They cut 300g off the 2014 frame verses previous model. Mine is always around 30lbs with pedals and carbon bar and cranks.

They went heavier for 2015/6 and they say they’ve cut the weight for the 2017 Alpine 6. The Five 2017 looks like the sweet spot to me. Getting off topic with 650B though as OP wants to keep his 26 inch parts.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

mmm I like the raw Covert, there is a 2013 Carbon frame on PBike. Is that worth a look?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Press fit BBs in those was the only real drawback as far as I know

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a 2012 Covert as my “Alps” bike, good all round and pedals up fine and is far more capable going down than me.

chakaping
    Free Member

What size are you?

There’s a medium suppressor frame on pinkbike.

steviep
    Free Member

I changed from a 2009 Alpine to a 2016 Zesty AM in 650b. The zesty is miles better than my Alpine.

ade9933
    Free Member

Bird Aeris?

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    What size are you?

There’s a medium
    frame on pinkbike.

I would rather have a large frame rather a medium with the seat right up like I currently have.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

I have sram GXP carbon cranks, recently purchased so I done t want buy new cranks. To use the press fit 30 will I need to buy a new BB, tool to install & a tool to remove the current PF30?

chrishc777
    Free Member

If the BB is going in the bin you should be able to knock it out, then you can buy a converter sleeve to run you GXP cranks

chakaping
    Free Member

I can’t think of any 160mm frames which use a pf30 bb.

Somebody might suggest one, but I think you will be limiting your choice severely.

Pf30 cranks have a thicker axle y’see.

Scamper
    Free Member

Last of the v3 26 2013/14 meta am/sx if you want to stick with 26. Not quite as long low or slack as the latest bikes but cheap, agile despite being an 8lb frameset and utterly utterly bomb proof. The other day on internet came across the first one I know of which cracked.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

There is a 2013 Transition covert carbon with PF30 on Pinkbike

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’d avoid alu Coverts… a friend had one that snapped by the brake brace on the chainstay and it seems a fairly common fault:

^Not his, found through internet search

Carbon ones may be better, but worth researching

chrishc777
    Free Member

A couple of instances there but the first I’ve heard and pretty much all my riding buddies have owned a Covert at some point, one still rides his. Mine went through alot and as far as I know is still being ridden by someone off here

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Might have just been a bad batch, but found 2 more:

Transition Covert Chainstay Image search

(Not a reflection on Transition as a whole, just Alu Coverts… all manufacturers produce duds every now and again)

Edit: Looks like the Covert Carbon still uses Alu Chainstays…

jk1980
    Free Member

The GT Sanction is excellent as a 160mm bike, I’d thoroughly recommend it. Also on my list would be Capra/Reign/Patrol. I’m not sure what BB standards they all have, BB standards confuse me…

There’s a used Reign frame on pinkbike at the moment, depending on what size you’re after.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘160mm travel Bike’ is closed to new replies.