Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 160mm fork on a 140mm bike???
  • zestybeard

I'm looking to upgrade my forks from a 32 float to a 36 talas/float which of course I can set lower so as not to disturb the geometry. I have fitted a 160mm fork to a 140mm fork before and had no problems with the headtube snapping off. Look to fit them to a Lapierre Zesty. Is this advisable? Willing to take my chances. Anyone else done the same?

jambon
    Free Member

I don't have a zesty. I do, however have a Giant Reign with Wotans on it (160mm) and have run it like this for 2 years or more with no problems and a lot of smiles. The reigns came with either 150mm or 140mm forks new so a similar bag.

If your 32s are QR style, you will notice a HUGE improvement going to a through axle.

By the way, can't do any better than the Wotan's IMHO for 160mm forks.

Hadge
    Free Member

If your going to fit them lower – as in reduce their travel – are you only changing to get a stiffer fork? I run the Float 140's with the 15mm axle and they are superb forks, very plush and stiff in the steering department. Might be a better bet?

zestybeard

Have run some 36 vanilla's on my Kona coiler a few years back and loved the stiffness and feel of the forks. Looking to go back to 36's cos I love the burleyness of them. The 32's just look a bit weedy on the front when sat on the bike. They are a good fork and have have saved my face on many occasions. I have thought of going for the 15mm axle version.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Warranty accepting – and IIRC you can pack down the travel with Fox 36 Floats with internal spacers – I don't see an issue. Might be worth contacting Lapierre to find out.

ojom
    Free Member

I have 36 talas on my Zesty. Only ever use the 160mm on v steep stuff which for me is not often.

130mm setting works best for 99% of the time.

Its already quite slack and the 160mm makes it uber slack.

If you are in edinburgh you can try mine.

glenh
    Free Member

Well, look at it this way:

The increase in length and leverage is going to be about 20/510 = 4%.

So if you gained 4% in lard (say 3kg for you average size bloke) you'd increase the force on the head tube by the same amount.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I've done similar with my Tazer (100-120mm recommended travel but I'm running 140mm Bombers). Absolute blast on the downhills and no slouch on the climbs either so long as I can get my weight over the front but I have to admit I'm having second thoughts. Being a pretty short bike it fair zips round corners but in the month and a half I've owned it it's dumped me 3-4 times now . . . always on the flat and always cornering (I have a lovely hole below my knee which I managed to open up again this weekend 🙄 ). Been back a couple of times since Sunday to ride the offending corner and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not weighting the front enough and that the super slack angles are making me wash out on the flatter stuff. Time to drop the travel again I reckon.

zestybeard

MMnnnnn. All advice taken into account. I like the idea of the spacers in the floats PJM1974. Tell me more about that. Never heard of it before. Is it expensive?

Ben_Haworth

I'd stick with a 140mm fork but a bolt-thru one with very good damping. Quality not quantity etc.

zestybeard

Too late. Went and got some un-used 2009 Fox 36 Talas R's in white for £375. Bargain. Just come back from bedding them in and apart from my spill where I was overcooking it and my pedal clipped a rock and threw me off. I'm loving the chunkyness again. Will take a while to get used to them and build confidence in them. But very happy. Loving flipping them down to 110mm after a big down on the fly. When in 160mm setting they make my Lapierre feel like a DH rig. 20mm botl-thru stiffness also. Supreme.

zestybeard

Too late. Went and got some un-used 2009 Fox 36 Talas R's in white for £375. Bargain. Just come back from bedding them in and apart from my spill where I was overcooking it and my pedal clipped a rock and threw me off. I'm loving the chunkyness again. Will take a while to get used to them and build confidence in them. But very happy. Loving flipping them down to 110mm after a big down on the fly. When in 160mm setting they make my Lapierre feel like a DH rig. 20mm botl-thru stiffness also. Supreme.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Where from?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘160mm fork on a 140mm bike???’ is closed to new replies.