Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 160mm air forks for DH bike?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Managed to save a lot more money than I thought I would last month, and I should be able to save more in the coming month, so I’m after some forks for my Bullit! Currently on a Boxxer World Cup which feels great but I want to get rid of the triple crown (and am considering going to a 160mm or less frame eventually). Other forks I’ve tried and my thoughts on them are:

– Pike 454 dual air. Great fork, really easy to get set up how I like it to feel and I can choose how much or little small bump sensitivity I have with the negative. Been very reliable and just feels solid.

– Domain 318 u-turn. Felt nice and smooth but a bit “dead” compared to my other forks, maybe because at 75kg I seemed to sit inbetween soft and medium spring weights and it was a compromise.

Wanting to go down to 160mm as the old Boxxer has a low A2C and I want to keep it feeling similar (and the domain felt about right). And really would like something reliable and air if possible due to being able to get it just right rather than compromising. Lyrik air of some kind – there are loads of models and I dunno what’s good? Budget £300 ish 2nd hand and I need a 1,1/8″ steerer!

tomhoward

Lyrik DH air?

edit… must read all of OP…

GW
    Free Member

Bullit? DH bike? Is this 1999 and pinkbike?

_tom_
    Free Member

Don’t be a prick GW, it may be a bit tall/short but I’ve had no problems riding DH on it and I can’t justify buying a new frame at the minute when this is still going strong! Plus it’s fun to ride, I’ve ridden “proper” DH bikes and they were only as fun when you’re going flat out on motorway sections or steep bits.

swamptin
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Marazocchi 55’s as standard on my NS Core2. They’re not all that bad for DH stuff. Set up right they’re plenty squishy… I love my squishy.

_tom_
    Free Member

I was looking at 55s since I’ve heard new Marzocchi are great. Was interested in this model due to the price but NSMB wisdom reckon it’s on par with a Domain which was alright but like I said it felt a bit dead..

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It’s the top model 55s that are the ones to get.

_tom_
    Free Member

They’re also far too expensive 🙁 Have heard nothing but good things about that RC3 Ti model but its twice the amount I paid for my used frame + fork!

swamptin
    Free Member

When I get home I’ll check exactly which model I have, it’s the white ones, so I think RS, but I’ve been wrong before. The last few years Marazocchi do seem to be return to their good old days of being bomb proof, which is good. I’ve not had the Core long enough or ridden it hard enough to give it a proper review, but the forks have certainly happily gone where I should have chickened out.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Somebody in my group when I was in the Alps had a set of Vengeance’s and he really wasn’t very impressed with them. He said the damping wasn’t all that great and theyeven had some top out clunk, but then again, he might have had a dodgy set.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t even know what damping is 😆 Basically I like how my old Boxxers feel but they’re heavy, ugly and I hate twatting my knees off the crowns if my chain slips etc! Plus it’d be nicer to get the front end lower. Also small bump sensitivity isn’t amazing, they felt pretty rigid going through braking bumps at whistler last year haha

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You could get some Lyrik coils for £300, thats what I’d get.

lucien

Not sure if any of this helps, here goes: –

Had a set of Marz 55TST’s and they are without doubt the worst fork I have ever ridden….lockout kept breaking, and had to keep letting our out to get any kind of travel and then they’d loose what little air they had left after 1 or 2 runs, so needed pumping up again etc.

Switched to a set of 36 Van R’s (yes I know not air) and they have been awesome in every way, not least because you get what you get and there is limited adjustability, which for a throw around play bike might just suit?

I know you said air and (I assume) not coil, however it would open up many more possibilities?

_tom_
    Free Member

I know it’d open up more possibilities but what’s the point if I can’t get it right for my weight? Coil feels good but not when it’s set up wrong, and I’m guessing the Lyrik springs are rated for the same weights as Domains?

iridebikes
    Free Member

hi tom, not much to offer ont the single crown side of things, but i guess you’ll be wanting to sell your boxxers? I could be interested.

nick1962
    Free Member

GW – Member

Bullit? DH bike? Is this 1999 and pinkbike?

🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

160mm air forks leaves you with 36s or Lyrics IIRC.

Pikes only went up to 140mm? Domains 160mm or 180mm.

Wasn’t the Bullit designed for 170mm+ forks? Surely dropping down to 160mm will steepen the HA further..

As for the frame – I reckon the 2008 Patriot would be the sort of thing you’re after (single pivot + 170mm travel + 160mm fork!)

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah the Pikes are on a different bike, too short for the bullit otherwise i’d just use those. The bullit has 180mm each end at the minute, but as the old boxxers A2C is quite short, i can use a 160mm fork and get away with a similar head angle/bb height 🙂

& when i get a new frame it’ll probably be a Bottlerocket or something similar!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Floats? Devilles?

chiefgrooveguru

Float 36?

_tom_
    Free Member

Could be an option depending on how much they normally go for 2nd hand. Also are Fox forks really as bad as their reputation for needing regular maintenance etc? I haven’t touched my Pikes or Boxxers since putting them on! Wiping around the seals etc is fine but would rather not have to take them apart regularly.

Northwind

Leaving aside everything else… Lyrik air is IMO better than Float, and should fit in your pricerange as well without buying a scabber. Deville’s the only other option I reckon and you can just about afford the box, so. Lyriks IMO.

What version? Not the 2-step, it’ll explode. Otherwise let price and condition guide you. Mission Control DH is better than standard MiCo, but you can always remove the lockout from a standard one and that makes them pretty similiar.

There are Totem airs too btw but weighty and not so easy to find.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Fox Floats are the way forward, the 160mm versions and if you can get a set that don’t need servicing too soon then spot on.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Fox 36 floats are pretty good, but not as good as the coil versions and you never get that last little bit of travel, even on big landings. Totem solo air is a good shout, although a bit heavier than a 36 or lyrik. They can be travel reduced with spacers, but my 180mm totem had a lower axle to crown than my 2008 marzocchi 55’s.

Neb

Suntour Durolux?? the new RC2 Cartridge is supposed to be good? 180mm internally adjustable to 160mm or 140mm as required. there are some reviews on bikeradar and pinkbike that seem to rate it.

its a bit off the wall, but looks like it might be decent? (I’m waiting on mine arriving, otherwise I’d have given a proper opinion! £250 new on the bike to work scheme is what swayed me)

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of vengeances and have been pretty impressed to be honest. Very well made, everything clicks or snaps into place nicely – no wishy washy adjustments.

Def no problems with topout clunk or anything and they’re better to ride than the 36 talas they replaced.

Lots of positive reviews on the web which are worth reading inc stw and bikeradar.

iridebikes
    Free Member

tom,

could you send me an email with a contact number so we could talk about the boxxers?

Thanks, Andy

wayniac
    Free Member

For the last 12 months I have been knocking the sh#te out of some 36 float 160s. They have taken everything I’ve thrown at them and I’m 15st and not a particularly good or smooth rider. Not as buttery as my 888s but what do you expect. Get them you won’t regret it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘160mm air forks for DH bike?’ is closed to new replies.