Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 160ish travel bike real world is experience?
  • scottyb88
    Free Member

Looking to reframe my Whyte G160 with something similar but more progression to the curve so I can run a coil. Any suggestions based on experience? Can’t bring myself to buy corporate so the more left field the better

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a Commencal Meta AM V4.2 great fun, 160 up front great when you get it up to speed not so much at low speed though it’s not the bike to ride slowly. Mate built up the new RM Slayer loves that too – lots of good bikes about

mark90
    Free Member

Not personal experience (as my mate runs air shock on his) and only 150mm travel but coil springs seem popular on the Airdrop Edit. Ticks the not corporate box.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Last Coal

lucky7500

The coil shock option seems to be quite popular on the new Orbea Rallon. I have ridden one but not with a coil.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Most Cube bikes appear to be a bit boring – but this new bike looks great:

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2018/bikes/mountainbike/fullsuspension/hanzz/cube-hanzz-190-race-275-rednlime-2018/

Coil shock:
    Fox Van RC, 222x70mm, Rebound & Compression Adjust
    Fork:
    Suntour Durolux RC, 20x110mm, Tapered, 180mm

The Hanzz 190 race 27.5 is the “low cost version” of the new Hanzz 190 and sells for around 2.3 k. Which is not bad at all! (and the Durolux is the PERFECT fork for this type of riding!)

Freeride / downhill / FUN !!!

scottyb88
    Free Member

Cheers for the input, that’s me smashing google for the rest of the day

joebristol

As above, the airdrop edit is ok with a coil shock. Test ride one earlier in the year and it just swallowed everything I threw it down. I like a bike with a bit of pop which it didn’t have – but that’s because of the coil being so plush I guess.

martinkiely
    Free Member

Not sure, but think you can get a Cotic Rocket with a coil? You’d have to ask them, but generally very quick to respond

stewartc
    Free Member

Are Transitions corporate now, I know I am but Shirley not a Tranny!

chiefgrooveguru

There’s loads to choose from nowadays! It seems most companies have woken up to 6″ bikes riding better with progressive leverage rates. Off the top of my head the Capra is one of the most progressive.

transporter13
    Free Member

Identiti mettle
    Rode one the other day and I’m now saving for one.. Awesome bike, just feels…..right.

ell_tell
    Free Member

DMR Sled? Am sure the STW preview mentioned you can fit a coil to it.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Leftfield you say? Have a chat with Empire.

kayak23

Starling Swoop.
    Mate had a coil on his and it was the shizzle.

noahhowes
    Free Member

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.uk

This is the place to have a look for a progressive curve. You can change the language to English.

The transitions are only a little progressive. I owned one and thought that whilst the coil shock was lovely around corners and over off camber roots it was not progressive enough overall and I swapped between coil and air regularly to get some pop back.

The Starling Swoop is a great bike, I owned one and liked it. It is most definitely not progressive and you really don’t get much from it with a coil shock. It feels super plush as it’s so linear but it’s hard work to ride and needs a lot of encouragement to leave the ground. That’s no slight on it, it’s a great bike with an air shock full of spacers fitted, it just a linear ratio.

I’ve not ridden an Airdrop Edit but the curve of the linkage looks more progressive than a transition.

duir
    Free Member

Geometron. Fully customisable and they can make it feel however you want it to feel. Don’t come much more left field than that.

kimbers

G2 Kona process have been designed as more progressive & to work with coil shocks.

My 153 29 is superb (with an air shock)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘160ish travel bike real world is experience?’ is closed to new replies.