Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 16" wheels on trains and Brompton sponsorship?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I thought that any smallish folding bike was allowed into the main part of a train but the other day I picked up an official train company leaflet saying no bikes can go in a carriage unless they have LESS than 20" wheel diameter, which in most cases would mean 16" as not many bikes run 18".

The leaflet seemed to be sponsored by Brompton bikes. Was there always this wheel size restriction or is it related to the leaflet sponsorship?

RealMan
    Free Member

Rules are just a guideline on trains.

Mostly depends on how much of a dick the ticket guy on the train is, and how good/bad his mood/day is/has been.

Had some ticket guys say fine to 12 bikes being in a 2 bike carriage, and bikes being in main part of train. Had others not let bikes on the train at all.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I just wondered if official wheels size had been reduced to 'assist' 16" sales.

colonelwax
    Free Member

A brompton fits in the luggage space on the carriage, or behind the seats. Most of the bigger wheeled folders (dahon) don't seem to.

Mind you, most people I see with Dahons don't seem to be keen on folding them to fit on, and end up putting them in the hanging bike space, which seems like a waste of space.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘16" wheels on trains and Brompton sponsorship?’ is closed to new replies.