Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 16" mtb tyres
  • ianpv
    Free Member

I’m not inventing some new wheel size niche, just looking for a half decent off-road tyre for my son’s bike.

So, what is a decent 16″ tyre? His current tyres (nominal 1.5″ – stock on an isla bike cnoc) are basically slicks. Surprisingly, he doesn’t seem to really struggle for grip on trail centre type trails (leigh woods, ashton court), but he visibly pings off things (small rocks, sticks) as a result of the tiny wheels and narrow tyres, even at lowish pressures. I’m looking for something with more volume that he can run soft for control really.

Wiggle have continental explorers, which are 1.75″. Chain reaction have a Schwalbe Mad Mike (2.25! basically a fat bike for a 5 year old 🙂 ) but they’re currently out of stock

anyone got any other suggestions?

Macavity
    Free Member

Hutchinson Rock Junior

peabrain
    Free Member

I picked up a pair of mad mikes (off a bike in a skip) for my son’s 16″ bike, but I haven’t put them on yet. They are 1.75. His current tyres are Innova 16×2.10 had they seem to do the job fine.

Macavity
    Free Member

Michelin Mambo

smurf
    Free Member

You might want to check the tyres in this thread to see if any are also available in 16″:

http://forums.mtbr.com/families-riding-kids/20-tire-recommendations-alternatives-mow-joes-789480.html

ianpv
    Free Member

Just providing a solution here in case anyone faces the same problem. Schwalbe black jacks are available in 16″ and are great. Sorry for the bump.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘16" mtb tyres’ is closed to new replies.