Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 16 mile trail race okay for marathoner?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Would I die? I’m okay running trails but do mostly tarmac.

There’s a 16 mile race in the Pentlands in October (3 weeks after my next marathon) would it be risky injury wise to try it?

piemonster

You’ll be fine ya big girls blouse

piemonster

More seriously, decide on your approach to the event on the day.

If your not feeling good just cruise round at the back of the field and treat it as an easy paced mid distance run. Only you’ll know how you’re feeling, I think you’ve run and biked enough to know how to listen to your body effectively.

cynic-al
    Free Member

cheers – I’ll manage the distance OK, I am just concerned about there being something about trail running that might injure me over a longer distance than I’ve done – I am a bit phobic about going over on an ankle, but I need to get used to it for the City to Summit next year,

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am more concerned about not trail/XC running and injuring myself on nasty tarmac!!!! I avoid the latter at all costs!!!

Enjoy, you will be fine!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’m the same. Rarely get injured on trail/hill runs but always damaging something if I run on roads. Probably the repetitive nature of the movement.

Running downhill requires fairly strong ankles but it’s more important to look where you are putting your feet. The first few times you try it, your thighs will turn to jelly so it’s worth practising to get past the DOMS phase.

What is the race? I could be interested…

hopefiendboy

likewise- could also be interested!

hopefiendboy

ah got it now- skyline run

cynic-al
    Free Member

Booh. It’s a week earlier than I thought, 2 weeks after marathon, poss too soon.

🙁

mogrim

It’ll be fine, even with “just” two weeks to recover. Given it’s a trail race over a non-standard difference there’s no pressure on you to get a time, so you can take it easy and enjoy yourself.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Maybe…but 2 weeks after my Ironman my legs are pretty chewed, though I’ve not made a huge effort to decover/recondition bar 3 wee runs and 2 weeks of constant boozing.

mogrim

Maybe…but 2 weeks after my Ironman my legs are pretty chewed, though I’ve not made a huge effort to decover/recondition bar 3 wee runs and 2 weeks of constant boozing.

It’s a trail race: you’re allowed to walk if needed. Stop being so wet 🙂

piemonster

though I’ve not made a huge effort to decover/recondition bar 3 wee runs and 2 weeks of constant boozing.

You sure you’re not a fell runner?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘16 mile trail race okay for marathoner?’ is closed to new replies.