Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 150mm fork suggestions
  • Dr_Bakes

I’m looking for a fork for a new 5in frame but stuggling to find one that ticks all the boxes.

In order of importance:

Tapered steerer
    15mm axle (CK hub currently 9mm QR but can be converted to 15mm, no bigger!)
    White
    Rockshox (preferably)
    U-turn or adjustable travel from 110ish to 150ish

I was after a RS Sektor but they don’t appear to be available aftermarket with the tapered steerer. The other option was a Revelation RLT Dual Air but there’s no adjust and appear to only be available in white. Any suggestions of something that ticks all the boxes?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I bought a Rev RLT from Merlin….

It’s tapered, 15mm, but black with no U-turn, and came with a free DT Swiss 240 hub. £315 with discount accumulator. The hub alone sells for £110!

To be fair, I don’t think you’d miss the U-turn 🙂

RustyMac

Bought the same fork as Pete, just installed it in my Iron Horse Mkiii frame last night so looking forward to the weekend for testing it out. No U-Turn but it does have lock out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Forks++Shocks/Rockshox+Suspension+Forks/Rockshox+Revelation+RLT+118+Tapered+Steerer+++DT240+Hub_RSREV.htm

Bargain!

They come set at 140mm, but a quick strip to remove the spacer liberates the extra 10mm. I’ve only ridden on them twice so far, but they are superb, amazingly supple, actually more so than the coil Vanillas they replaced!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mac, they’re brilliant. I sold the poploc lever and converted to crown mounted dial

Dr_Bakes

Yeah the u-turn never seems to get used on my older Revs to be honest. I can probably live without a black fork and that sounds a good deal.

RustyMac

Hey Pete,

Don’t suppose you have one of your legendry guides on how to do this “converted to crown mounted dial” the pop lock seems a hell of a faf. I’m used to the crown mount on my old 409 revs on my other bike and would like the same on this one.

didn’t realise they were set at 140 to start with! may actually suit my bike better that way.

Dr_Bakes

Does that one you’ve linked to come with Poploc as well only I can’t see mention of it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can probably live without a black fork and that sounds a good deal

Your OP isn’t clear on the colour! 🙂

The pic on merlin is of a white fork, but the colour is black! (see the detail on the page)

Mac, it’s here

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B1AoGIWBz4H1YWNhYWRkODYtNzRiNi00YTA1LTlmMjctNmQzOWQwMDdiZGFl&hl=en

The newer forks like these are a bit different inside: The spring has to be removed. When you remove the Motion Control unit, you can see a coil spring inside. The top of the MC unit unscrews and you can remove it totally, BUT it’s a LEFT HAND THREAD! So unscrew CLOCKWISE. 🙂

Hope that makes sense? 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

‘White’ – that will look so wrong on your new stealth carbon frame.

Get black forks – they work better.

Why do you need a tapered steerer – does that just not narrow the choice down or the resale ablilty – you can get a spaced headset to cope with a normal steerer tube.

Get some Fox ones with the bling tastic kasima coating. Mmmmm.

Dr_Bakes

PeterPoddy – Member

I can probably live without a black fork and that sounds a good deal

Your OP isn’t clear on the colour!

Sorry my mistake, I wanted white, but can live with black! They’ll do the job.

Dr_Bakes

Why do you need a tapered steerer – does that just not narrow the choice down or the resale ablilty – you can get a spaced headset to cope with a normal steerer tube.

Well, presumably there’s some advantage to a tapered steerer unless it’s all manufacturer’s guff, which it quite possibly is but then I won’t know unless I try. Dammit.

Get some Fox ones with the bling tastic kasima coating. Mmmmm.

Not really within my budget at the moment.

‘White’ – that will look so wrong on your new stealth carbon frame.

I’m not taking advice on my frame from someone who wear socks and sandles 😉

RustyMac

Top guide, have book marked it. I’ll need to get hold of some oil, circlip pliers and a socket set before i can atack them so they will have to stay as they are for the imidiate future.

Northwind

Dr_Bakes – Member

“Well, presumably there’s some advantage to a tapered steerer unless it’s all manufacturer’s guff, which it quite possibly is but then I won’t know unless I try. Dammit.”

I’d love to get a tapered frame and some standard and tapered forks and get some journos- ideally from MBR- to pepsi taste challenge them… Personally I’d go standard, it’s more versatile and transferrable, and should keep its resale value better. Also gives you options of using anglesets and suchlike if you choose. Both my main bikes have 1.5 steerer tubes with standard steerers, keeps the options wide open.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

presumably there’s some advantage to a tapered steerer

Yup. Dirt cheap forks! 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

I really thing the whole tapered thing is marketing guff.

Quite why you need a larger bottom to your headtube that is just a few inches long will make no mechanical difference in the real world.

Sure, if it was say six foot long there may be some mechanical advantage, but it does seem just a way of selling this years model over last years.

On all my offroad racing motorcycles, where there is way more force, none of them are tapered.

They were not sandles, they were open toe’d action footwear 🙂

Dr_Bakes

Isn’t the benefit supposed to be in gaining ‘some’ of the rigidity of a 1.5″ steerer, with the weight benefit of a 1.125″? Oh, and adding another “standard”.

Regardless I’m happy to have picked up a pair of forks for £315 with a free hub thrown in! Cheers PP.

Trimix
    Free Member

I doubt you can measure that difference, let alone feel it out on the trail.

New forks for the weekend then ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘150mm fork suggestions’ is closed to new replies.