Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 150mm for XC and trail?
  • shooterman

Is it overkill? Will it make climbing a nightmare? I keep both wheels on the ground but my lack of skill does lead me to just blunder into things. Going on a 140mm rear travel frame. Any thoughts welcomed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I forgot to buy milk….

honeybadgerx

I’ve got a mojo sl-r which has 150/130 front and 140 rear and I love it too bits, be it short jumpy technical rides or all day rides in the mountains or just swoopy singletrack and trails. Climbs incredibly well too. It’s probably more down to the characteristics of the frame more than anything as to whether the bike will feel overkill or not though.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

All depends where do you normally ride, the kind of frame this is going on, is this going to be your do it all bike, are you planning on travelling with the bike to different destinations etc

At the end of the day if you can test/demo a similar set up on your local trails before splashing out for kit and caboodle it might make your decision easier.

Climbing – again what frame depends on geometry of the bike and also your technique, skill and fitness

shooterman

It’s going on a Blur LT2. Yes, this will be my do it all bike.

toronte
    Free Member

Love my Zesty. Always finish first to the top compared to the guys with AM machines but I struggle to keep up with friends who ride xc regularly. Would’nt take it to a bike park tho.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have 160mm floats on my LTc. I use it for everything; XC, trail centres, bike parks, DH uplift days.
    Doubtless it’s not the perfect machine for most of these, but I have brilliant fun on it which is rather the point is it not?

wwaswas

I’ll be putting 150mm Marz 44 RC3 Ti’s on my new bike – they’ve been fine on my Maverick.

vondally
    Free Member

as a 26er rider many 150/160mm bikes, blur lt, maverick ml8, titus supermoto, yeti asr 7, turner 5 spot/rfx, ellsworth moment…..all used from trail centres and xc and riding. Usually with a Fox 36 talas, adjustable forks and being able to drop them is helpful climbing long sections.

The travel never held me back climbing, slower than some whippets and faster than others.

you will be fine

but as a 29er convert all of those bikes great as some were do not compare to either my Turner or Rocky Mountain 29 ers both are faster down and quicker on the flats

razorrazoo

I run 150mm revs and a 140mm frame (5Spot) as my only bike. Lockout with motion control is simple to flip on at the start of a climb but to be honest I never really use it as most climbs I do are fairly short trail centre jobs. A lot of it is all in getting the sus set up right in the first place.

ritchic
    Free Member

I ride a spicy. 160/160 and not ever felt like its over kill or struggled goin up you just get used to the best way to peddle it really I think. And I agree all about getting suspension set right once you have that’s it

shooterman

I’ve generally used TALAS and found the travel adjust useful. However, given that the floats are RLC and could be locked on climbs, the posts above and the fact that they are a good price, I think I will have a punt on them! Thanks to all who replied.

nosedive
    Free Member

180\160 on mine and it still gets used for long days in the peaks quite happily. 150 has to be about optimal for general use I would say

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Sounds dangerous to me, I wouldn’t risk it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘150mm for XC and trail?’ is closed to new replies.