Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • £1,500…which road bike?
  • benz
    Free Member

50cm-ish.

At least 105 or equiv drivetrain.

Any recommendations?

benz
    Free Member
    lunge

Have a look at the Orbea range. Beautiful bikes, well specced and a little different from the mainstream stuff.

Spud

I’d recommend the RT-57, had mine two months, lucky to get the SRAM Red deal. Loving it so far.

wors

Genesis equilibrium 20

Shadow
    Free Member

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2505

Everything you asked for and more

warton
    Free Member

as a fully paid up member of the Canyon fan club I can’t recommend their bikes highly enough, but that planet X looks like excellent value too.

amplebrew

The Trek 3 series seem to be getting good reviews.

The 3.1 with 105 mix groupset is £1500, but they do a 3.5 with Ultegra albeit over budget at £1800.

Trek 3.5 review

DT78
    Free Member

I’m current saving up for that canyon still debating the AL or the CF version for around £1700.

Amazing spec for the money when you compare to other brands

iainc

current Cycling Plus has review of top 40 odd bikes – quite a few at that price point

manton69

I picked up a second hand Look 595 with DA throughout and a pair of Cosmic Carbones for around that money. The bike had been kept immaculate and been treated with baby wipes to keep it clean.

He was only selling it so that he could buy an engagement ring and he had got a Colnago C50 sitting around as well 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Amazing spec for the money when you compare to other brands

Except Planet X, who do a carbon frame for less… Or Focus. Or Cube. Or Ribble. 😉

brant
    Free Member

Loving this thread as the Planet X RT57 Force was my first “complete bike” project for Planet X.

Lots more value packed bikes coming soon – Inbreds and 456’s too.

DT78
    Free Member

My post was actually aimed at the bigger brands like giant/trek etc.

Cant say I’m an expert in this area but I still think the canyon has a better spec sheet than similar priced offerings from ribble/focus/planetx etc…

Maybe I need to have another look, I would prefer to support a uk brand

tomhughes
    Free Member

Personally if you have that kind of money I would go for second hand, or better still build up your own bike, its more fun that way! I have a couple of full sram red (once you go red you won’t regret it) builds with carbon frames that have come in at less than £1000. If your sensible you can get some great deals on second hand stuff thats been well looked after.
    For 1500 new your best bet is as others have mentioned planet x, canyon, focus (I have a focus izalco and its incredible). With these you will get a great bike for great value.

porlus
    Free Member

If you fancy something away from the mainstream brands, have a look at the Kuota Kharma. I have the 2004/5 frameset and its great. Really good do it all road bike. The new 2011/12 frames are meant to be a massive improvement. Price slightly above budget though. Worth it from something thats more unique.

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Kuota_Kharma.html

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

How’s about a Van Nicholad Mistrel coming in at around £1400 for complete Ti road bike surely got to be worth a look, that’s my next port of call if I sell my new -6″- beasty.

njee20
    Free Member

Cant say I’m an expert in this area but I still think the canyon has a better spec sheet than similar priced offerings from ribble/focus/planetx etc…

It’s Ultegra not 105, but it’s still an alu frame. I’d far rather have carbon and 105. YMMV of course.

Blackhound

Giant TCR is £1,499. Carbon frame with a Ultegra/105 mix. Very nice.

I prefer something with campag kit on it but harder to find.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, Cannondale CAAD 10 from Pauls cycles for about £1050. Then spend £350 on some nice hand built wheels and £100 on some nicer finishing kit.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘£1,500…which road bike?’ is closed to new replies.