Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 150 miles from a headset?
  • BoardinBob

My steering was feeling a bit crunchy at the weekend and the headset was loose. Gave it a quick tighten up then opened it up properly this morning. I’ve discovered the bearings have completely failed. Covered in rust, no grease and they had fallen apart (inner race had came away completely on both the upper and lower bearings)

The bike was brand new in December and I’ve only done 150 miles. The bike hasn’t been pressure washed so I can only assume it’s had no grease in the cups straight from the factory plus cheap crappy bearings. I imagine it came with the forks already fitted so unlikely the shop would have checked the headset bearings.

It’s an integrated headset so no cups. It’s my first time with that design and on inspection the sealing seems very poor and the bearings seem to be way more exposed to the elements. In particular, the bearings have an open groove between the upper and lower race where you can see the ball bearings inside. Seems like a really easy way for water to get inside.

I’ve ordered replacement bearings as I’ve got a race this weekend but does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality tapered integrated headset? Hope don’t seem to do one so any other decent brands out there?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds like the same bearings on my cane creek, pure pish.

fasthaggis

That is shit,I would be having a word with the supplier,even if it’s just to get a spare set out of them.
    You may be able to load up the new ones with grease,if you can get the dust seals off.

BoardinBob

Sounds like the same bearings on my cane creek, pure pish.

This was an FSA one and I’d assume very cheap

otsdr
    Free Member

You can just buy a Hope headset and use the bearings + crown race/ split ring, to make sure the angles match. Otherwise if you’re lucky you should be able to use just a set of Hope replacement bearings with your FSA bits (not sure about the inside angles – 36 on Hope if I remember correctly?)

l.e. the small bearing is 36inside/45outside, the bigger one is 45on both. Safer bet would be to get a Hope 3 (integrated top) and a Hope E (integral bottom), and use the bottom one without its cup.

BoardinBob

This gap seems like a massive design flaw!

[/url]20160307_145352 by boardinbob, on Flickr[/img]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cane creek do them in the forty and 110 ranges (maybe the ten as well), none are open cages AFAIK.

Hope might, they might just not advertise them. The bearings are sometimes the same size as other 1.5″ lower headset bearings, and there is a ‘standard’ for them IS52/40. So you’d just need the bearing and crown race rather than the cup part.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘150 miles from a headset?’ is closed to new replies.