Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 1.5 straight steerer with taper fork – what headset???
  • allmountain76
    Free Member

OK, im looking at a frame with a 1.5 head tube. Is there a headset that does 1.5 outer and inner bottom and 1.5 outer and 11/8 inner top? Or is it a case of buying a headset for a tapered steerer and using a reducer cup in the top? Grrrr too many “standards” these days.

bland

just put these on and have done!

Bargain!

allmountain76
    Free Member

im looking at talas 180’s, the taper version is cheap on the bay.

richwales

I spoke to someone at hope about this recently. Apparently the bottom of a tapered headrube is bigger than 1.5″ headtube. They sell a 1.5 bottom cup, bearing and race which you can match with a 1 1/8 Reducer top cup. Both can be ordered seperately so you can mix n match. Nc17 to a specific 1.5 headtube for tapered steerer – about £80.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Hope do a pick and mix system, so should be able to sort you out

Stu_N
    allmountain76
    Free Member

nah, that one is for FRAMES that are tapered as well as the forks. I want one that is for a 1.5 frame top and bottom and a for that is tapered. Its either buy two headsets, one 1.5 and one reducer or find one that is reducer top and 1.5 bottom. Clear as mud? My head hurts from trying to find one!

richwales

^Dont think so as the size of a tapered headtube at the bottom is different to a 1.5″. Have look on hope site they have some diagrams showing the difference.

allmountain76
    Free Member

I know the difference, without wanting to sound rude, and i know what i need. I need half a reducer headset for the top and half a 1.5 headset for the bottom! Its a shame no one seems to sell that as a set as im sure im not the only person who has tried to fit taper forks in a 1.5 head tube. My best option at the moment is to fit a reducer cup in the top and run a taper specific headset but reducer cups are fugly and add stack height.

Its not as stupid as it sounds wither fitting taper forks to a 1.5 as you get the stiffness of a 1.5 fork with the stem options of a 11/8 fork

allmountain76
    Free Member
    hoochylala
    Free Member

Same scenario as my mmmBop – 1.5″ headtube am im planning on putting a tapered RS Rev in it. FSA do one, gravity 1 – this was my first option, but since, superstar have started doing these….

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=426

they have confirmed this wil fit mmmBop with tapered fork so thats whats going in…eventually! 🙂

PeteG55
    Free Member

You need to look at the Cane Creek range. I have a similar set up to what you describe, but with a straight 1 1/8th steerer. You can get the bottom in either 1.5 or 1 1/8th.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HS283A02-Cane+Creek+Xx+15+To+Tapered+Headset.aspx?sc=FRGLUK&cc=GBP

allmountain76
    Free Member

Cheers both – i now have 3 options, fire eye, superstar and Cane Creek.

Stu_N

The NC17 one I linked to does tapered fork/ 1.5″ steerer. Either that, or I have been riding round on something that doesn’t work for a couple of months. So that’s 4 🙂

allmountain76
    Free Member

Sorry Stu, you posted as i was replying about the On One one.

goldfish24

I’ll confirm the Fsa gravity one from CRC works fine in my 1.5″ straight cannondale frame with taper forks. Good price, works fine.

dan1980
    Free Member

I’d steer clear (excuse the pun) of the FSA one. The one I stuck into my mmmbop was trashed within 6 months (the caged baring ring broke and scored the top race) which I think is down to the shoddy way the steerer of the fork is gripped by the headset. The seals are crap too and I had to pretty much strip and start again with the grease on the barings after every ride due to a grinding gummy feeling.

I’ve replaced it with the one listed from superstar. No problems at all, steering feels so much better than the fsa one from new.

phutphutend

Depending on whether I get hold of some forks, I might be in the same situation as you. 1.5″ bike, tapered forks.

However, I have an e13 reducer headset. Perhaps you could get hold of a 1.5″ headset. Then we could swap half each?

Email me at jjmcewan <@> btinternet {DOT} COM and perhaps we can sort something?

5lab

phut – if you already have a reducer headset, isn’t running tapered forks as simple as a new lower crown race? This is the case for FSA big fat pig headsets (the exploded diagrams show it).

phutphutend

Doh! Scrub my idea. Gonna be tricky to get the bit you need to do a simple swap!

5lab, your idea would be correct if I had a 1.5 headset and wanted to fit tapered forks. A different lower crown race can’t fit a 1.5″ tube into a 1.125″ hole!

Looks like Suiperstar win out again. And in spangly colours.

5lab

phut – you have (if I’m reading right) a 1.5 bike with a 1.5 reducer headset (right??) if so, if its anything like the fsa pig system, the only difference between the reducer headset, and the regular headset is the crown race at the bottom, and the equivilent of the crown race (steerer race?? stem race??) at the top. All the other bits are the same. So to convert a big fat pig reducer to a big fat pig which is reducered at the top and 1.5 at the bottem, all you need is a new crown race

phutphutend

Nope, the reducer headset I have is an E13 type. It uses 1.5″ aluminium cups that hold normal 1.125″ bearings.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘1.5 straight steerer with taper fork – what headset???’ is closed to new replies.