Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • 15 days into the zero alcohol experiment
  • spokeydokey
    Free Member

bored now!

Things I don’t miss:

hangovers, lethagy, extra 8lbs

Things I do miss:

that first pint freshment feeling on a Friday and Saturday night.

anyone else sticking to their ‘dry January’?

AndyP
    Free Member

Aye, still on it.
    its f8cking horrible…

5thElefant
    Free Member

Joined the Taliban?

Fagus
    Free Member

Just been given a belated Xmas present of a bottle of Talisker. I had to open it to check on quality. Very nice it is.

trevorx
    Free Member

Often think of doing this but I always talk myself out of it. Would love to hear about any ‘real’ benefits.

freddyg
    Free Member

I’ve not gone the whole hog, but have restricted myself to non-school nights only. I started this as part of last years fat club and succeeded in losing a stone and a half in a couple of months.

I love Fridays, but not Saturday mornings.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Would love to hear about any ‘real’ benefits.

you mean there are any benefits to taking alcohol ? Doesn’t it just make you stupid and dangerous ?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have been completely dry since about October, as a result of taking medication that doesn’t mix well. Coming off a varied diet of lager, bitter, cider, whisky, gin and wine. I have lost some weight (5kgs or so) and feel vaguely "better". Also I haven’t been raging pissed and got into a row with my wife for ages, which is quite pleasing. Bloody hell though, non alcoholic drinks are boring. There is nothing now apart from coffee that I like to drink.

🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Ive not had a pint since New Years eve, and am missing the "first super chilled" can experiance. I was a very light drinker any way but I bet my misses I could do the whole of Jan without a drink. GAGGING NOW!!!!!!! 😥

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yep, still on the wagon although I’m not really feeling any benefit. Hence why I’ve decided to go for a pint or two after work. Moderation is the key.
    I’ll be back on the wagon again tomorrow if that counts?
    In my defence I did sit through a whole afternoon in the boozer for my missus mates b’day and also a large family gathering last weekend. Both events would usually merit alcohol to save my sanity.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Mmmmmm Talisker. I also have a festive bottle in the cupboard. Along with Isle of Jura. Both have remained untouched.

glenh
    Free Member

You lost 8lbs in 15 days from just not drinking?
    How much were you drinking?!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Bloody hell though, non alcoholic drinks are boring

many people seek other forms of non chemical dependent excitement :o)

miketually
    Free Member

One sign of being an alcoholic is giving up for a month to prove that you’re not 🙂

I’ve had a bottle of whisky, ~15 ikkle bottles of Stella and 2 cans of becks since Christmas Day, plus a few glasses of wine occasionally.

chakaping
    Free Member

Non-alcoholic beer, wine etc is usually pretty desperate.

The only exception is non-alcoholic Becks. Try squeezing quarter of a lime into the glass before you pour the beer in. Actually very tasty, IMO.

I lasted seven days. Quite an achievement for me.

nickc

King of biscuits is a pretty bold claim….

Jamie
    Free Member

I considered quitting booze purely for the weight loss side of things.

Lasted about a day and then switched to spirits instead. Nice compromise i feel.

jimcollins67
    Free Member

the biggest benefit i see is having more money to spend on bikes 😆 just done rough calculation of what i spend on drink a month and its quite a lot of dosh…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Did it in November.
    Biggest problem was realising how much non-alcoholic drink costs in a pub. Ginger beer & lime, fresh orange & lemonade, both more than beer.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is amazing how many alcoholics stop drinking for a month to show they don’t need a drink.

It is actually one of the early signs of alcoholism.

Gold
    Free Member

I’ve been off the booze since new years day, baby number 2 is due in 4 weeks and need to stay sober in case we need to dash to the hospital. Not missed it too much but when Tesco have some good deals on bottled ales it’s a bit tougher.

I suppose I might see how long after the baby is born I can go, could do with shedding a few pounds.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If I cut out one £3 pint a day in my local that is a grand a year saved!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It is amazing how many alcoholics stop drinking for a month to show they don’t need a drink.

I must have a serious case then as I’ve been of it for years 🙁

MrOvershoot

I gave it up for the whole of Lent last year :/ my wife didn’t think I would last that long without a drink but I did!
    I lost exactly nothing in weight despite drinking mostly cranberry or grape juice mixed 50/50 with soda water 🙁 and that was despite riding more as well!

I really do need to cut down a lot though as I can easily sink a bottle of red in an evening and not even feel slightly tipsy 😮

slugwash
    Free Member

anyone else sticking to their ‘dry January’?

I had done til today then I had to test my cider factory to see if any had spoiled during fermentation before I cask it up!

I found one suspect demijohn. I might have to undertake some further testing tomorrow after work to verify the situation ;0)

toby1

I’ve been off it, but only since Saturday as it was b’day celebrations for me and in that day I probably drank a months worth. Will probably go to the end of the month without, just to proove I’m not an alcoholic 🙂 or maybe just because I feel like it.

richc
    Free Member

I am not drinking on school days, as 2 bottles of red every other night seemed to be getting out of hand.

Bit scary as I am not actually that pissed after drinking 2 bottles now.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve not had a drink since January 1st, I’m happy 🙂 not missed it at all, just do something else on Friday or Saturday!

nothing like getting up or laying in without a headache and actually being able to drive before 15:00 without wondering if you’re still over the limit! 😀

adios booze!!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Heres a scary thought….

An intoxicated uninhibited sfb

Do you think he might start saying what he thinks 😛

Cheers!

mije

gave up 15 MONTHS ago. i miss the taste, the first three mouthfuls and nothing else. i feel much better, physically and mentally, just sharper all round. there’s certainly a stigma about opting out, but i have a better time when i go out now, and when people stop being able to talk or stand up i just go home, and then get out on my bike the next morning.

i don’t need it. i certainly don’t give a toss about the pressure to join in. speaking as an outcider (sic) now booze usually makes people less interesting, and some complete arses.

each to their own… just don’t be a sheep

LardLover
    Free Member

Last drink was New Years Eve, nothing since 😀

I can’t say I’m missing it, I’m certainly not missing the heavy heads in the morning, and I find I get a better quality of snooze (not waking up thinkin gmy throat’s been cut.

I’m out on a Gentlemans Afternoon on the 6th Feb, I should imagine I won’t have touched a drop before then.

I for one feel much better for it.

boblo
    Free Member

I gave up for month or so 4 years ago. I thought I’d try Jan, then Jan+Feb then Jan+Feb+Mar and so on and so forth for 4 years. Still off it and don’t miss it.

The worst times are when you go to a party/function whatever when you don’t really feel like it. Whilst drinking, you can drink yourself into the mood. Whilst dry, it can all be a little dull.

Nice to wake up next day remembering everything that was said and done 😈

Bob

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Do you think he might start saying what he thinks [:P]

I just get giggly and stupid like anyone else :o)

miketually
    Free Member

I quite like being giggly and stupid 🙂

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Nothing since the third of Jan, and that’s fine with me. Not too desperate to have one yet. I really don’t enjoy the dark side of boozing any more.
    Bleugh

trevorx
    Free Member

you mean there are any benefits to taking alcohol ? Doesn’t it just make you stupid and dangerous ?

I know alcohol isn’t good for you (unless you believe the 1 glass a day or my grandad who swore blind his old age was due to a whisky a night!) but it’s that the amount I drink; which aint much, maybe one beer a night and a bottle of wine over a weekend, also isn’t doing me much harm.

Sometimes I just like to pull myself out of a routine to maintain self control. However this alcohol one always seems tricky !

jedi

i stopped alcohol on 29th dec.lost 6lbs so far.

only stopping to shed the weight i put on breaking myself and healing

hora
    Free Member

I’ve given up since 11pm last night. I wont be drinking again until 7pm this evening. **** a drink-Sabbatical!

binners

As a contrast to everyone else’s ‘dry’ January. I have been gleefully drinking on your behalf. Tsk! The sacrifices I make for you lot

Pub’s are open in an hour

warton
    Free Member

I’m stopping for 8 months, I’ve got an Ironman in august and i’m taking it very seriously, so no booze.

To be honest I used to be a big drinker but have slowed right down in my 30s, maybe two nights out a month, if that, and as i virtually never drink in the house anyway i don’t miss it at all…

I have got a bottle of Dalwhinnie sitting in the cabinet, but it will taste all the sweeter in august after the IM!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘15 days into the zero alcohol experiment’ is closed to new replies.