Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 140mm forks on a Fuel EX8
  • jturn71

My 2010 EX8 has the original 120mm floats with 9mm qr, but I fancy changing them to 15mm bolt thru & a bit more travel. Anyone else done this? If so how does it affect climbing with 140mm up front?

scud
    Free Member

The 2009 model that i had came with 130 forks so, 140 would probably be OK.

If you buy 140mm forks, you can always spacer them down to 130 or 120 if they don’t feel right

The-Duke

I have the 2009 model that came with 130mm forks. I’ve tried them at 120 and 140mm settings but have now went back to 130. 140 just felt too much for good climbing and made the steering a bit vague. Each to their own though and 140 might work for you, easy enough to do with some spacers. Just check your forks are floats and not F series as I don’t think they can be extended beyond 120mm

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’ve got a EX8 from 08 with the 130 float but have also run Talas 140 on it. I’ve honestly found it to be a little better but only because I can now drop the fork for climbs to 120.

Does anyone know why the newer models have been reduced to 120? have they got a different head angle? Would love to know!

jturn71

I think they reduced the EX’s to 120 & Remedy to 150 in 2010 because they introduced the scratch which was 160 or 170mm? I believe the 2012 models have slacker head angle.

Think I might try & find deal on some Talas, but suppose I could reduce with spacers if i got floats.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Thanks Jturn, that makes sense. If you can, you should go for the Talas because I’m sure they would suit your needs… Lots have posted comments about them not being as slick as Floats but I cannot tell any difference. And no, I don’t ride like a fairy, I’m pretty fast and rough with the Trek, it takes a good hammering. 😀

slugwash
    Free Member

I put 140mm U-Turn bolt thru’ Pikes on my 2008 EX7. It turned it into much more of a throw-it-down-any-technical-gradient beastie. 🙂

I prefer it like that now for the type of riding I do on it. If I’m doing more gentle cross country stuff then I’ll take my hardtail with 120mm travel.

It’s still a good climber but I’m going to temporarily put the 120mm Recons back on it for the Tour Mont Blanc later this year ‘cos it’ll be easier all round with the amount of steep climbing that excursion will involve.

Also, I had to change the 60mm stem* I’d fitted to an 80mm as the extra fork length was pitching my body weight slightly too far forwards.

EDIT: Oh, and I had to change the front brake hose for a longer one to accomodate the extra fork length, although I may have originally shortened it when I fitted the 60mm stem – can’t quite remember 😕

With the Pikes…

(* changed from the too long 90mm stem that came with the bike)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘140mm forks on a Fuel EX8’ is closed to new replies.