Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 140/150 forked FS to replace a bandit.
  • ceepers

So the finance is all done on my bikes and I’m slightly idly thinking of a new FS frame to replace my bandit which is 150 out back and has a 150 fork on it.

By current standards it could be a little longer and slacker so I was wondering what frames the hive mind might suggest. Demos are pretty scarce in north Devon so vicarious experience greatly appreciated!
    It needs to be:

Realistically no more than £1700 frame and shock
    Capable of taking my existing fork and 27.5 wheels (although I’m sure I could boost fy my rear if necessary) so no 29ers or plus bikes.
    Must climb well and be fun and nimble down. The bandit has kinda hit the sweet spot with this and I don’t want a bike that hates climbing.

I ride a hard tail too so the fs gets used for exmoor, quantocks, trail centres and odd days out in Wales/peaks/mendips.

I guess the obvious options are the scout or cotic flare?
    Maybe an airdrop edit or rocket or aeris? They’d rip the descents but would they be too much bike for most days out?

A bit rambling I’m afraid – im really just talking myself into it so any suggestions greatly appreciated!

jam-bo

is the bandit really 150mm rear travel? mine’s 120..

transition1
    Free Member

The Bandit is 140 on the rear.
    People have run new Scout 125mm rear with 150 up front or a Banshee
    Spitfire 140mm rear 150 up front

jam-bo

ah, my old bandit 26 was 130mm, my new bandit 29 is 120mm.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP the Bandit. How old, what wheel size, what frame size ? Are you selling it ?

I have a 2012 Covert and a BFe. Love both. Both companies make great bikes.

ceepers

Sorry typo

It’s a 650b bandit which I always thought was 140. Happy to be corrected!

It’s a 2014. I guess I would try and sell it. Like I said, I’m only really musing so far. I can’t say I’ve honestly found the limitations of it but it’s my first FS and Ive not really ridden much else so I guess I’m wondering if there’s anything that’s better now everything has gone longer and slacker!

wl
    Free Member

New Five. If you need reviews, there’s a glowing one in last month’s MBUK 4.5/5 (and a pile of others on the Orange website if you go to the Five page).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say that if you’re happy with the Bandit, keep it and splash your new frame cash on a couple of fab mountain bike holidays instead.

transition1
    Free Member

The Bandit is a great bike I owned the 26 & used to demo out a 27.5 owned a few Coverts, TR450
    My big bike now is a Vitus Sommet fame which is very close copy of the Patrol frame
    & main bike is a custom Smuggler. They are probably too close to each other. Bad back put me down the full suss route.
    A carbon Scout would make an Epic frame replacement to Bandit

jam-bo

the only thing I’ll be replacing my bandit 29 with is a starling murmur.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Thanks op, I keeping an eye out for a 26″ large

mattbee

Won’t get rid of my 650b Bandit unless it breaks. Fantastic and does all I want it to. It’s the first bike for a long time I haven’t had the hankering to replace, even though it’s coming on for 2 years old now.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks jam bo, I missed that 😳

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘140/150 forked FS to replace a bandit.’ is closed to new replies.