Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • £1400 bonus to spend, Second hand Orange 5 or maybe a Stumpjumper FSR Evo or ???
  • qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

Hello all,

I currently ride a 2001 Santa Cruz Heckler, with some even older bits of kit bolted to it – Bomber Z1’s, Hope C2 brakes on the front XTR ‘v’ brakes on the rear and even a set of original mk1 gripshifts !!
    It has served me well and got me round the red at Whinlatter Forest last week with no problems. But I have come into a bit of cash and have decided to upgrade.
    Budget is £1400 max so was thinking a good condition second hand 26″ wheel might be the best way to go to get myself a top spec full suspension bike for the same cost as a new ‘entry level’ one.

On the short list at the moment is
    Orange Five – for £1400 probably looking at a 2011-2012 Pro model, maybe even a 2013 with some haggling
    Or for a couple of hundred £ less (as I don’t need to spend it all) a
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo 26″ – Maybe a 2013 Comp model for around £1200.

I have always been a big fan of Orange, I’ve had a P7, an Aluminum ‘O’ and I still go to work on a 1989 Clockwork ! So really had my heart set on a Five, never ridden one, just like the simple concept and I am a big, big fan of “made in Yorkshire” stuff being from God’s own county 🙂
    Its had loads of rave reviews and bike of the year awards over the years but now I have started looking properly and have taken the rose tinted glasses of it looks like its getting a bit old old now and am concerned I may be overlooking better bikes for my needs and the money. Im guessing the stumpjumper will be a better ride with its more modern design?? Last time i bought a new bike there was about 10 decent ones to choose from, now there looks to be 100’s !

Don’t think its fair to test ride either of them at a local bike shop when I have no intention of buying one from them so may have to go on recommendation and gut feeling!

Should I be looking at anything else for that money, or am I better sticking with just 2 model so as not to confuse the search?

Looking daily on Pinkbike.com and eBay, should I be looking any where else?

Don’t ride a real lot nowadays, but when I do it could be a blast with my daughter and wife on forest roads, or a red run at a trail centre with my middle son or even an up-lift trail in the Alps with my eldest (only a tame one nothing to daft!!). So I kind of need a jack of all trades, and accept its not going to be perfect for everything.
    I’m 5’11”, 14 1/2 stone, ride quite aggressively, not very fit so do a fair bit of pushing uphill!, good with the spanners so maintenance is no problem and did I tell you I have a soft spot for Orange 🙂

Thanks in advance,

Phil

nickjb
    Free Member

Two good options. I’d lean towards the stumpy as the suspension is a bit more sophisticated (although whether I could actually tell the difference riding is another matter) Better to save a few quid too as you can then personalise any purchase or replace the odd worn bit. Maybe add dropper post, too.

Euro
    Free Member

Stumpy Evo all day long (yes i do have one 😀 ). Comes with a dropper and is an amazing bike. Fine for gentle spins or full on DH. Here’s mine (2011 Evo Expert bought second hand for less than your budget). Changed the stock bars and stem as i had ‘better’ stuff on my previous FS and upgraded the forks to Pikes as i found the originals wanting in some situations (i’m 15st and ride a lot of rough stuff and proper big jumps – not STW big). A couple of mates have the more recent (last of the 26s) versions and they are almost as nice (crappy colors imo) a tiny bit slacker, 5mm more rear travel and a wider rear axle.

I’m sure the Orange is good too, but it can’t be as good as this, it’s simply not possible 8)

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I saw that 2015 stumpy,s are on offer for £1600-1700 at various dealers at the moment .
    Maybe worth a look if you fancy 650 or 29 variety.
    Richard

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

£1400.!!! I got £39 last month and that’s the only bonus I have ever had in 20 years of work.

tonyg2003

Both are good bikes (I have both) but I’d try to get a ride on both before buying. Maybe going to a demo day? Secondhand the Orange has a lot less pivots to go wrong and even if they do they are easy to change. Personally I’d go for the Five

chestrockwell

I can recommend the 5 as they’re great. Some good deals on 26″ versions now too. I’d look at the condition of the bike rather then the year though as the 2011/2012/2013 frames were the same and if you get a 2013 it’s likely to come with the poorly regarded 2013 Fox forks.

As mentioned, at around £1500 you could get a new bike if you look around. If you fancy the 5 have a look about for the early 2015 or 2014 bike in S spec as you might find one brand new in budget. Also check out the Orange website as they do some decent deals on ex-demo or shop soiled bikes. Drakes Cycles in Leeds also usually have good deals on Orange’s.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Stumpy evo 29er new, 1700 with 170 quid free kit at Cyclestore. And no, I don’t even have one

roverpig

This is an easy one. The Stumpy is a great bike, but you’ve got your heart set on an Orange, so buy the Orange.

It sounds as though the only thing putting ytou off is a concern that the suspension design is “old”, which doesn’t really make sense. The Horst link on the Stumpy is hardly “new”.

I’ve never really understood why Orange get slated for sticking with a design that works for them but Giant and Specialized don’t get the same criticism for sticking with their designs. Any dispasionate discussion of the different designs usually concludes with a statement along the lines that they all work. In fact the different designs seem to mainly exist to provide product differentiation in a crowded market. As you’ve found, there are lots of good bikes out there, so, as a manufacturer, you have to give the marketing department something different to sell. It doesn’t have to be better overall, it just needs to have some advantages. It’s then down to the marketing guys to convince the customer that whatever it is good at is the most important thing.

wiggles
    Free Member

Where do you live? I have a few ex demo 2014 stumpys in your price range.

maggsy99
    Free Member

Yhm

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

Just had a quick search for new stuff (which I had dismissed as being to expensive, so hadn’t bothered to look) and found a 2015 mk1 Five S for £1900! All sizes all colours !
    There are some used 2013’s on eBay for more than that??
    Would be in big trouble if I spent £1900 but it must have an impact on second hand prices.

Didn’t realise 2011/12/13 models are all the same.
    Is the introduction of the tapered head tube onwards the ones to go for
    Popular opinion alsobseems to say the maxle is a big improvement.
    and in my eyes it isn’t an Orange if it hasn’t got Hope brakes on it 🙂

Thanks for all the replys so far, plenty of food for thought.

Cheers

renton
    Free Member

You can get a much newer bike than you think for your budget.

I’ve just sold a 2015 model giant trance 27.5 2 for 1400 and that had been upgraded but also done less than 150 Miles.

chestrockwell

You just reminded me about the maxel rear, can’t exactly remember when that became standard (2012?) but it’s defo the one to get along with tapered. The S model is well worth getting now as all the kit is decent. If you search the Orange dealers from the list on the Orange site you may well find an even better bargain.

Ignore some secondhand prices as there’s those that don’t seem to realise that 26″ is a problem price wise.

stevede
    Free Member

If you hang on a few weeks you’ll be able to buy Rentons Five 29er 😀

renton
    Free Member

Wow who’s the comedian !!! 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

I have another possible, which you may be interested in.
    Drop me a mail….

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo 26″ – Maybe a 2013 Comp model for around £1200.

I wouldn’t be looking at used with your budget. As I said above the Evo 29er is £1699 at Cyclestore (possibly cheaper elsewhere) but gets you £169 worth of kit, and the Kona Satori is £1500 at Rutland

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/290663/products/kona-2014-satori-29-inch-full-suspension-mountain-bike.aspx

both can be bought via cashback sites for ~£50 back. Both are 29ers (buy a used 26er and like it or not you’re buying into unsupported spec, good luck finding a nice fork etc for it in a year or 2), with sorted geometries, great reviews and dropper posts as standard.

Nothing against Orange, currently ride an Alpine 160 in old skool 26″, but if I scratch my n+1/big wheel itch it’ll be one of the 2 above.

If you look at the lapierre from CRC join British Cycling, they do a 10% code to members every month and I’m pretty sure it can be used on sale bikes (so a 30 quid member ship would knock £130 off the bike).

muddyground
    Free Member

I’d be tempted by new – two year old bike may well need new transmission, suspension service… Also why just those two bikes? You could get a Trek 9 or such, at an equivalent price but better spec. I’ve a 5, which was bought massively discounted, yet it was a heavy old beast in stock trim with some dire components. Much as I’m a fan of Orange, there is better out there these days. Mind, having said that I did see a polished frame 160 the other day that had me dribbling. And in the spirit of STW, my Orange has been utterly faultless. Er, I’m no help at all then!

Nonsense
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Kona Satori from Rutland. It’s really good fun, just needed a shorter stem and to go tubeless. It’s a sit and spin type of a climber but coming down the hill it’s brilliant. The spec for £1500 is amazing value.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

fourteen hundred quid is alot of money; spend it on something you want. You could build up a decent orange five for that much with second hand bits; marzocchi forks/hope brakes/hope wheels/new transmission; you’ll have a decent bike for another fourteen years.

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

As you can tell by the fact my current full suspension bike is almost ‘retro’ (I have a 1991 GT Team RTS which is !!) I have been out of the loop with current trends and designs for a good number of years now. I limited my choice to the Five and the 26″ FSR Evo because i’m a bit of an Orange Fanboy , the Specialized seemed to do well in reviews, they are both popular at places I ride at and I know absolutely nothing about any of the other competition. As I don’t really have time to research properly lots of other bikes I have never heard of, I thought it best to keep it simple.
    As for the different sized wheels some of you are suggesting I had just dismissed 29″s without giving them any thought at all. You were all meant to be helping me not making it even harder 😀
    Stumpjumper Fsr Comp Evo at Cyclestore both 29′ and 27.5″ are £1700
    To start a whole new debate why one and not the other ??????

26″ tyres, rims and suspension fork spares will be around for a while yet surely ?? I’m not arsed about ridding stuff that’s “out-of-date” at 46 I’m close to out of date myself 🙂

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

And while i’m asking more questions to confuse the issue further, another one!
    Whats the difference between the 2014, the 2015Mk1 and the 2015Mk2 Five’s?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

26 being “out of date” doesn’t mean they’re suddenly crap, it means if you buy a bike to keep (which you appear to) you’ll struggle replace/upgrade forks and wheels. My Alpine is a bundle of old standards and is brilliant and I’m keeping it. Luckily the Marz forks on it are durable because with a straight steerer and 26″ wheel no one is making alternatives now, if I needed a new fork it’d be searching for old stock.

Ref the Stumpy Evo, the 29 won bike of the year and Spec were early adopters of 29 so it should be sorted, the 27.5 appears to be a reaction to a trend and involved bonding a 20mm spacer into bottom of the head tube of the 29er frame and nothing else 🙄

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

And 46 puts you bang in STW demographic. Do you work in IT and drive an Audi? 😉

chestrockwell

The difference between the 2015 mk1 + 2 is a change in the top tube and swing arm design (maybe saving a bit of weight?) and some tweeks to the geometry to make it a bit slacker and a bit longer in the top tube. The 2014 is very similar to the 2015 mk1 but I seem to remember there being a slight geometry change? In the real world I doubt you or I would notice much difference between them so would probably go for the one that’s the best value.

Not to be a dick but the GT RTS didn’t come out until 1992 and there was not a Team frame that year. The top bike was the US made RTS 1 that came with M900 XTR. Think the Team frame came along in 1993 or 94. I’m a little bit embarrassed that I know this. 😳

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If I were you I’d buy something new for that money.
    Obviously not a Orange but I bought a brand new Giant Anthem (2013) for approx £1000,there’s plenty of bargains out there.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p4945/GIANT-ANTHEM-X-2-2013

kimbers

the kona satori wins so far

wouldnt go for 2nd hand at that price, just get a decent on sale bike

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

“And 46 puts you bang in STW demographic. Do you work in IT and drive an Audi? “

No, I design car interiors and drive a VW T5 Camper ! Which is probably still well in the STW demographic 🙂

My RTS has a Black front end and polished ally rear triangle, with the extra pivot at the rear hub. Sadly its hung on the wall in the garage now. 1991 was a (wrong) guess, but it must be over 20 years old !!

Found a guy at work who has just bought a Stumpy 29 Evo, so will hopefully be able to blag a test drive

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘£1400 bonus to spend, Second hand Orange 5 or maybe a Stumpjumper FSR Evo or ???’ is closed to new replies.