Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 14 Speed bumps for cyclists
  • simonralli2
    Free Member
    oldgit
    Free Member

Thing is people probably were hooning down there.

samuri
    Free Member

Sweet! Bunny hop city! I would so nail it along there.

ziggy
    Free Member

Surely some metal barriers placed along the road would be better, how are speed bumps going to work? As above it would probably make me go faster.

MattPhotos
    Free Member

Sweet!

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks it looks more fun now. Although the gnar canal route which causes you to nearly "fall in" sounds good too!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wish that was near us. I'd make a point of jumping off each speed bump on my way down….. Schweeeet!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ditto, isnt the usual solution to this kind of problem to put steped barriers at either end of the alleyway.

crazy-legs

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

what an exceptionally ugly solution.

:SLOW HANDCLAP:

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Bunnyhoptastic!

That's a red rag to a bull for those who can really ride 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

Good place to take the bike to help tune the suspension i'd say.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just think how much fun can be had perfecting your bunny hops down there.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

They should only put the speed bumps half way across the alley from alternative sides. Gentle people can roll slowly and smoothly through them swaying from side to side while we can rip it up with slalom vs bunny hop races!

grahamh
    Free Member

Que lots of complaints from wheelchair users.. 👿
    and parents with pushchairs.

simon1975

From the photo it looks like a case of very restricted visibility between cyclists and pedestrians entering this alley from either side due to the walls. Not surprised that people have been injured. They've even thought hard enough to put them at varying spacing to stop riders getting into some sort of rhythm.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How long before a pedestrian trips on one of them & sues the council?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Surely the local council's likely to be sued by more people on foot tripping over those things?

pinches
    Free Member

Urban pump track, ace.

simon1975

Yes and it doesn't look to be very well lit does it?

If people trip on them then they'd have to prove that the council had done something wrong in putting them there – under the Highways Act, Local Highway Authorities have a duty to take action to reduce the likelihood of accidents occuring, and I bet this was cheaper than removable barriers/gates.

I suspect that the Disability Discrimination Act might have something relevant to put up an argument against this installation.

I hope this isn't in a conservation area – it's so ugly!

james-o
    Free Member

that's soooo ugly and over the top, i bet the islington set wish they'd thought that one through a bit more.. looks like it's a pram or wheelchair-free route now and they may have to pull them up once someone complains about reduced access. daft!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Does Simon F Barnes also moonlight as a Daily Mail photographer?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Stacey Roswell, 32, said: 'I live here and kids are always playing out the back but there are a lot of cyclists coming down here really fast.'

The full-time mum-of-three added: 'It's not a bike path but they think it is. They're just a nuisance, they're not very considerate.

No, it's a ROAD with no car access, kids shouldn't be playing on the ROAD.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Good place to take the bike to help tune the suspension i'd say.

+1!

soma_rich
    Free Member

If the put the bumps too close together it could make bunny hopping them pretty tricky; how inconsiderate of them 🙁

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Council must have been getting lots of complaints to make them do that. I suspect they have gotten sick of cyclists who wouldnt listen to the warnings and have decided to make a stand.

Council cant win. If they do nothing they are liable because its a known problem. If someone is seriously injured they will be held accountable.

Its not as though the place is picturesque and i dare say the council plans to remove them when the message is finally nailed home to the ignorant cyclists. Its a shared path and it sounds like cyclists havent listened to the warnings.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

bump

😆 😆

man i crack myself up sometimes

😳

druidh
    Free Member

We already have speed bumps on a section of canal towpath near central Edinburgh, so this is hardly "news".

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I feel slightly dirty for looking at that daily mail article, but reading one of the recent comments is quite funny:

Cheaper bikes are harder to distinguish than more expensive ones as there will be more about. People are also less likely to ride an expensive machine wrecklessly incase they damage it.

– Nigel, Worthing… for the time being, 25/9/2009 13:09

He doesn't come on here does he?

retro83
    Free Member

druidh – Member

We already have speed bumps on a section of canal towpath near central Edinburgh, so this is hardly "news".

ok, but are there 14 of them in a 150 metre bit of road?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i don't think you can really win as a cyclist. Go on the shared-use pavements and people say you go too quickly and its dangerous, cycle on the roads and people say you're too slow and hold the traffic up.

maybe i'll cycle at a magical 'just right' speed balancing on the edge of the curb inbetween the pavement and the road??

coffeeking
    Free Member

Isnt it a case of cycling at the right pace for the right place?

Either way there should not be kids playing on it, its a roadway.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cooool – who needs trail centres when the council builds local bike parks 😉

joe1983
    Free Member

If I was a kid living there and I knew the road was closed to cars, I'd definitely ignore the dorky hi-vis'ed up cyclists and play football with my mates on it.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

The third and fourth ones in are ripe for getting doubled up… If I lived there I would probably cause MORE trouble now they are there.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘14 Speed bumps for cyclists’ is closed to new replies.