• This topic has 65 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by smurf.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • 14" 26er build for a 10 year old
  • hanchurch
    Free Member

I’m thinking about building up a bike for little Miss Hanchurch, anyone done the same?

matt_outandabout

Yes. But don’t get hooked up on a frame size. We have had/still have a pile of 26er weeny frames. The ‘smallest’ frame is 12.5″ ‘size’ but has longest top tube and reach…

the-muffin-man

I built this for my daugther last summer.

NOS frame and all sorts of random spares!

takisawa2

My 10yr lad has a 13″ frame Hotrock, but he actually prefers his Mums 15″ Hotrock, I think that’s down to its silly light weight though (rigid forks etc).
    I’ve a box full of posh bits to jazz up his Hotrock when the weather improves. Even picked up some Sids…crikey, how light…!!!

But as Mat said, don’t be too caught up on sourcing a tiny frame, its the top tube length that’s key.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi I built this little kona for our son when he was 10
    14″ frame 26″ wheels 150mm cranks 1x 9 with a 28 tooth front ring

fooman

14.5″ Trek FS Frame
    SID 80mm forks
    152mm Crank
    26″ frame forks but with 24″ Wheels
    It has a shorter stem & X Fusion dropper now (with cable to limit rise!)

Jason
    Free Member

I built this one up for my son, he was almost 10 when he started riding it. I got the frame from Germany (after a thread on here). Forks, wheels, tyres, bars and post were spares I had in the garage. Built up 1×10, with I think a 28t ring on the front and short Thorn cranks. He has ridden loads on it, and hopefully another year or so before he out grows it!

aracer
    Free Member

You mean don’t get too excited be seat tube length? Frame size is clearly quite important here! I’ve been looking for a while – and rather more seriously in recent weeks for a suitable frame for such a project and you’re right that some things which come up small in the seat tube and listed as small are jump frames which presumably not only have a long TT, but are also massively overbuilt for the purpose, but then they’re quite obvious.

On which note, any thoughts on where to get such a small frame, or anybody selling one? The only things coming up on ebay are full bikes which would then involve the hassle of selling on all the heavy bits I don’t want.

Alex

My daughters first turner which was an XXS I think, special frame custom built. About 4th hand to us

She was nearly 11 and coming from an Islabike. She absolutely loved that Turner. Out-grew it super quick so

We got another one. That’s a 15 I think. She’s outgrown that one now and – being nearly 15 – is interested in many other things. Not so much mountain bikes. If anyone wants a lovely custom turner 5-spot…

Sorry OP – didn’t mean to hijack your thread. Building bikes for/riding with your kids is the best thing.

matt_outandabout

Not just jump bikes!

“Smallest” frame in length and stack was our Trek 4300, 13.5″
    Next is Islabike Beinn 26 with Manitou forks.
    Then Specialized Rockhopper (womens) 13″
    Largest is Cannondale F900sl for length and stack, but smallest seat tube.
    The Claud Butler is largest seat tube at 16″, but shorter than Cannondale, but higher stack than all, including the 16″ Zesty.

Frame ‘shape’ is important – because the Specialized and a Trek also had low BB’s, making them real easy to get on and off with short legs…

Alex

Oh while I remember – and to your point re weight- we fitted narrow bars, wide range of (low) ratios, used fast rolling tyres as most of the riding was trail centre, easy natural trails and air shocks. Definitely worth getting the right kit if you can. The pink hope brakes were a bit of a find and I think we might have the last threaded pink hope BB in existence!

Tracey

We have a small Specialized Enduro which was built up for Katie, just deciding whether to split it or sell it as a full bike

iainc

9 yr old on a Core 20 (14 inch frame, 650B)

kevj
    Free Member

I built up a 14″ Kona fire mountain for my boy last Christmas. I opted to get a set of 24″ wheels from Superstar and kept the original 26″ for when he outgrows the bike, hopefully yo get another six months out of it. It’s a really good bike to ride, and his riding has came on leaps and bounds.

gerti
    Free Member

Will watch this thread with interest, I’m starting to look for a 14″ frame to put all my old 26″ bits onto for the eldest child in a year or two.

On-one 45650b? http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO45650B/on-one-45650b-frame

Would the world end if I put 26″ forks and wheels on a 650b frame?

hanchurch
    Free Member

Some smart looking kids bikes on here, just the sort of things I was thinking about. Thanks.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I may have an unused 152mm sram chainset which I bought for a project before Xmas and probably won’t end up using.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think the inbred it’s better than the 456 for a kid, there was a thread a while ago and I think brant said add much. Maybe because it is not so tall at the front.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The only thing I’d add is my sons (nearly 11 year old who is riding an extra small trek) feet are size 6, if his positioning on the pedals slips forwards he actually catches his toes on the front wheel if cornering slowly with pedals flat.

nre
    Free Member

I’ve built this up over the last few months, photo now out of date as it’s now been converted to 1×10 XT/Deore mix inherited off my old bike, now 24.75lb

(previous thread here)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I got my mum (not quite 5′) a xs Kona, Fire Mountain I think. Low stand over and fairly short. My son is twelve a d whilst he can ride my 16″ 456 it is quite a stretch for him even when stood up, he’s average height for his age.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    gerti
    Free Member

Cheers for that TurnerGuy 🙂

I’d skipped over the inbred purely because I have a set of tapered recons off my old bike and the inbred wont take them. But I guess I could pick up a set of straight 1 1/8 forks second hand.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

more here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cheap-ish-alu-ht-frame-in-xs

I built this Cube Access 13″ up for 11yo Daughter for Christmas

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was going to buy a 14 inch inbred for the nephew as they were 118 around xmas, but forgot and they are back up to 199 🙁

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Wish we had like buttons here sometimes as liking what I’m seeing some cool little bikes there people making me wonder what I’ll be building for my nephew in a few years time as at mo he’s 10 months old and now building him a 1950’s sunbeam trike with massive over haul to look better than new.

fooman

I’ve got a 16″ 456 evo (carbon) frame they have low standover but are really quite long, too much of a stretch for most young ‘uns, a good few cm longer than other 16″ frames I have.

scaredypants

No idea what size it is but she was 9 when I built it up

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5wyzeg]LRB[/url] by scaredypants, on Flickr

curvature
    Free Member

I might be wrong but apart from the Turner above all the kids bikes have the handlebars set way above the saddle height. How many of you ride with bars higher than your saddle? None I bet?

My 8 year old (9 in March) son can ride my wife’s XS Cannondale 26er and my daughters XS Ghost 650b but on both of them he looks way too small and the bars are a real stretch.

There are plenty of good 24″ wheeled bikes around now so surely it is better to get a bike that is the right size and in the right proportions to the rider.

A 24″ Crest rim with with some light tubeless tyres shed over 2lb from my son’s bike and the 1×10 XT, imported short cranks from the USA etc….. It just keeps going but I suppose the main thing is to get them enjoying the riding!

scaredypants

“that Turner” has a pretty high saddle – presumably the rider was a reasonably tall kid

here’s the 24″ bike the little ‘un was riding when the older one got the red thing

(and besides, comfy bikes almost always have the bars above the saddle and I’d like my kids to be comfy so that they might become keen)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eT2vWb]P1040345[/url] by scaredypants, on Flickr

mick_r

The bars on our frame started slightly higher than the saddle but still a very good fit (but I made that frame myself so very short head tube and slack head angle to avoid toe overlap). Still fitting well 20 months later with a slightly longer stem and seatpost.

The problem with production frames is generally head tube length and fork length. Also running short stems (to correct the reach) means you can’t get much drop via the stem. If you are ambitious then forks can be spaced down internally and head tubes can be trimmed and faced…..

My experience with Inbreds is they work OK but a smidge long and rather heavy.

Spending money on light 26″ wheels is a good investment as they can move onto the next frame.

matt_outandabout

My 8 year old (9 in March) son can ride my wife’s XS Cannondale 26er and my daughters XS Ghost 650b but on both of them he looks way too small and the bars are a real stretch.

There are plenty of good 24″ wheeled bikes around now so surely it is better to get a bike that is the right size and in the right proportions to the rider.
    See my comments earlier – not all ‘Small’ or ‘XS’ or 13″ frames are created equally – and a few mm or cm here or there can make a massive difference….

Ours…

Trek 4300+X-fly forks = 8) Now owned by another forumite.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pHkdip]Trek 4300[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Under a 10 year old:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/mW8FqZ]Callander House Falkirk MTB trails[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

I got me an Islabike, first proper trip out under a (then) 9 year old:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bEU9Eh]Grantown on Spey bike trails[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

The *last* Islabike ride in our household, now under another kid at bike club.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zydLsA]Aviemore Overnighter[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

The Specialized, bought from another forumite, and about to be up for sale here
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/fJXuum]2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p5b7gA]SBC Wallace Monument Hillclimb[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

According to the size sticker, this is the smallest frame. In fact it is the longest and tallest and lightest. It flies.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/yCCZW]Cannondale F900SL[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Mrs_oab is only 5′ – the 10 year old is pretty much her height. That Cannondale is not leaving the oab household, but is due a shiny new groupset…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/mWaBsL]Callander House Falkirk MTB trails[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

johnj2000
    Free Member

My 10 yr old got a small On One Whippet built up from bits I had lying around. The carbon frame is a bonus for her as it makes it nice and light versus a steel job like my others. She is 11 now and 5ft2 and it’s about perfect for her.

JoeG
    Free Member

Does anyone else suspect that Matt runs a bike chop shop and money laundering business? 😆

ricardo666
    Free Member

I ride a 14″ Handsome dog xc01. Frame bought from all terrain cycles, and built up with some hope wheels, headset, BB, and some XT kit off the forum. Had it for 5 years now for work, commuting etc.

matt_outandabout

Does anyone else suspect that Matt runs a bike chop shop and money laundering business?

😆

I wish there was money to be made, instead of spent…

As the eldest_oab heads for more like my height I plan on buying new/nearly new, moving to 1×11 and 27.5″ all round…

hanchurch
    Free Member

That cannondale is mint!

Tracey

Built a few up for our girls over the years as they have been growing up. Stuck with air forks and shocks as they are easily tuned for light weights.

Abigales small Giant Reign which was eventually stripped to put the bits onto a bigger frame

Katies small Specialized Enduro which was upgraded a lot from the pic and is at the back of the garage waiting to be stripped and moved on

matt_outandabout

That wee Reign looks ace…

Tracey

She threw that bike all over Verbier. Probably the last pic of it as she was on the limit of the frame size. Its about the same time I realised she was going to be alot faster than me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘14" 26er build for a 10 year old’ is closed to new replies.