Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 135mm x 12mm thru axle 11 speed disc road hub
  • RAGGATIP
    Free Member

As per title. Do these exist? Sticking a Hope Mono road freehub on a Evo Pro 2 mtb hub doesn’t work as the cassette rubs on the derailleur hanger. There’s not enough exposed shaft. I was wondering if any alternatives exist. Dt Swiss’s version isn’t due to be released any time soon unfortunately.

sillyoldman

DT have a 142×12 11 speed road disc option on both 350 and 240 ranges. Just swap out the end caps for 135×12 if that’s what you really need. Sure it’s not 142??

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Pro2 Evo 40t are 11 speed compatible..

Gee76
    Free Member

what frame’s it for out of interest?

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

It’s a carbon framed Specialized Diverge. The frame is definately for a 135mm length shaft (including end caps). The Hope definately won’t fit. It was the 135mm x 12mm length I tried with the 11 speed road freewheel.

This is how the SCS is described on the Specialized website…

Link to pdf

and this is the drop out the cassette (when fitted) rubs against

I’m pretty certain that it is a SCS specific hub that I need contrary to what I keep being told by Specialized and their dealers alike. The current one has the letters SCS etched on to it. The derailleur hanger doesn’t as it otherwise suggests in the image above.

STATO
    Free Member

That looks like a 142×12 dropout. 135×12 would have the hole for the axle flush with the face of the dropout. If it’s scs who knows, doesn’t look like its offset tho.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

100% it’s not 142mm. I’ll take a picture of the 135mmx12mm Hope hub with road freehub and post it up.

STATO
    Free Member

Unless of course that’s how they make scs work? Recess into the dropout and shove the cassette ove to make it fit. In which case your screwed as no one but specialized makes (that I’m aware of) an scs hub.

Did your hope (non 11 speed) fit ok with that dropout?

STATO
    Free Member

Just Done a bit of googling and that pic (which is from elsewhere?) is an scs dropout and is 135×12. Because the scs hub moves the freehub 2.5mm inboard they had space so Instead of offsetting the hanger as in the pdc link they recessed the dropout. Which means you can only use a specialized scs hub with that dropout as all other hubs have the freehub 2.5mm too far outboard so would bind, as you found out.

Solution 1. Buy specialized hub.
    Solution 2. Stick some shims on the axle to make clearance
    Solution 3. Hope 142mm drive side end cap (easier than shims, as long as it fits in the recess.

STATO
    Free Member

Solution 4. Change to non scs hanger (apparently possible), ability to buy in the UK? Likely low!

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Yup that picture was from elsewhere.

Specialized won’t supply an SCS hub. That’s what is annoying me most. Complete lack of support. They supply some parts but not the shell.

Also no hanger without the offset is available.

I’m not keen on spacing the dropouts further apart which is what the shim/extended end cap solution would do.

When asked Specialized keep saying it’s a normal road hub that I need. No help what so ever.

STATO
    Free Member

Specialed uk. They have no idea, just middlemen, you need to try specialized directly I reckon.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Dealers need to know how to deal with questions about this. I’d be certain that, as they’re now getting these models onto their shop floors, they’ll be getting more enquiries about this at some point in the near future.

I want to run tubeless which I can’t do on the stock wheelset. I also want 28 spoke min on the rear. It’s a good frame but the standards Specialized use are totally non standard what with their 62mm wide bb30 shell aswell.

bobley
    Free Member

(Apologies for dragging up this old thread)

I just bought a heavily discounted 2016 Crux pro last week and had this issue. I ordered some Spec’ Axis SCS 4.0 wheels too but they haven’t arrived. My local LBS who also sell Spec said they were completely stuck and had refunded 7 people who’d bought SCS frames.

I just thought I’d post up how I’ve fixed my current wheels (Stans on old Novatech 712 hub and Velocity Rims on Novatech 772 Hubs). Firstly, buy the £12 142×12 axles kits and get a local machine shop to part 3.5mm off each end to bring them back to 135 overall width. Then take an Ultegra 6800 cassette and bore the back in by 2.5mm at a diameter of 41mm to clear the hub shell and then take 2.5mm off the front of the freehub. I’m going to have to replace the old Novatech 712 hub as the 11 speed freehub I just bought pulls the cassette back into the spokes. A new hub shell and bearings are £40, the whole hub is £64

I used a CX1 crank with a 2.5mm spacer on the none drive side which appears to give me perfect clearance of pedal arms to chainstays on each side and when It’s in the middle rear cog the chainline looks spot on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hope SCS hubs are imminent.

bobley
    Free Member

I looked at the Hopes. The Pro 4 hubs are due out in the new year and they mention 12mm on the website but not SCS (although there was a Crux at Eurobike wearing them). They’d be too late for this years season.

I do like Hope as I have the Tech Enduros too but sadly Novatech’s win at the moment (coz they’re cheap, lighter and I can get spares dead easy to experiment with)

jamesfifield
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘135mm x 12mm thru axle 11 speed disc road hub’ is closed to new replies.