Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 135mm single speed hubbage
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

alright fellows, what's the general consensus for 135mm hubs for single speeding? specific product for the job or conversion kits on a regular freehub?

got my eye on one of those nice new disc pompinos, and got an old xt hub that i can build up for the new back wheel. those converters a safe bet, coupled with such a hub?

what do you use?

ta.

Talkemada
    Free Member

I use loads of spacers from broken up old cassettes, and an old Shimano 600 rear mech as a chain tensioner on my hack, which has an STX RC rear hub. Older Shimano hubs are better for this, I've found, as the freehubs seem to last longer. The XT will be fine.

Those converter kits and a chain tensioner will do fine.

theflatboy
    Free Member

nice one, cheers old chap. on that basis, best value converter, anyone? 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ooh, I think On-One do a set, or DMR? Like I said, I used a load of cassette spacers (you'll need at least 2 cassettes worth), and this allows you to fine-tune the chainline easily.

Surly Singleator isn't very good, ime. The springs are too weak to tension up properly. I think the DMR Tensionseeker looks a better bet.

theflatboy
    Free Member

what are your thoughts on the whole affair, weekday fellows?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I just use HT2 spacers, ss sprocket from DMR/Gusset/whoever else I can find cheap & a tensioner from my old LBS for about £10, easy.

epicyclo

Use an old hub with a conversion until it breaks.

Talkemada
    Free Member

I use Shimano DX sprockets, come in a range of sizes, 14-18t, and are only about £4. Seem to wear really well; I've had 2 16t ones on the go for ages now.

I'm currently running a 38/16t combo on my hybrid hack bike, with 700x35c tyres. Cruises at round 16mph, can wind up to 24mph when needed, but isn't too high for pulling away from lights etc. Tried a 14t on the back, but was just a tad too high for my liking, round town. If your commute is mainly long bits of flat road, then maybe a higher gear will be preferable, but in traffic, will be less than ideal.

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheer for the tips, chaps. i'm happy with the ratio i've got at the mo – 42×16 – but i need a disc-hub for the discy pomp, so need to change you see. reckon i'll just stick the xt on with some spacers, seems to be the consensus.

theflatboy
    Free Member

right, i have noted the onza conversion kit, which looks like a good cheap place to start. the other thing i have thought is that i will need to change the QR skewer on the XT hub to bolts, as i don't think the QR will be tight enough. any suggestions on where to procure such a conversion?

i am also now getting quite attached to running the pomp fixed, so will miss that when i revert to freewheeling SS!

simon1975

Change the QR axle for a solid threaded one from Velosolo.

I've got one in a drawer if you want it, but it's got a cone cross-threaded onto it which I can't get off.

I'm thinking about "upgrading" my 120mm Pompino for the new disco one, but I'll be staying fixed without a rear brake. Just waiting on prices and a better look at that fork on the On-one site…

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers for offer, reckon will prob go the velosolo route if i do get one, thanks also for info.

i was all set to do the upgrade until i changed to fixed for the first time the other day. now i feel like i might not bother! want to at least get the proper fork, the peregrine one i've got on the front is good for the disc mount but doesn't look quite right and it makes the front wheel further from the frame which is a pain to lock it up!

might end up with blue frame and white fork…

simon1975

My alternative would be to remove all the frilly bits from my standard white Pomp (cable guides, brake bosses, pump pips etc) and fit a carbon CX disc fork… But I think I'll save my money until I've killed my current wheels which need truing after every ride (not a surprise given what I put them through).

theflatboy
    Free Member

good shout on velosolo, by the way – i've seen their 6 bolt cog offerings before, but hadn't remembered them. they've got a lot of useful stuff.

theflatboy
    Free Member

by the way, inference from the info on on-one's website suggests they haven't made a disc version of the fork to go with the new version of the frame.

massive oversight, if true… i hope someone from on one can confirm that this isn't the case! don't want to have to stick one of those straight-blade forks up front, want to keep the traditional appearance just with better brakes!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Go to Brick Lane bikes and get a solid axle. Or Halfords do replacement axles. 145/150mm I think.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘135mm single speed hubbage’ is closed to new replies.