Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 13 pin towbar and 7 pin trailer problem
  • chief1409
    Free Member

I’ve bought a second hand Trelgo trailer that has a 7 pin electrical plug. I’ve got a 13 pin socket on the towbar so bought an adaptor to make the conversion rather than having to change the plug for a 13 pin…. First adaptor didn’t work as couldn’t get it to fit the 13 pin socket on the car (7 pin end works fine). Sent it back and bought another make from elsewhere and having the same problem.

Am I being an eejit? The car end of the adaptor looks like it should fit as it’s the right shape but the little ribs/notches don’t appear to line up properly….

carlos
    Free Member

I think* that the inner bit on the 13 end can be rotated and that allows the notches etc.. To line up

*could be taking absolute ball aches though

toby

Not meaning to teach grandmother to suck eggs, but you do realise that the outer part of the 13-pin side twists, and needs to go in with the top at about the 9-o-clock position then turn 1/4 turn clockwise, right?

Some prodding with a screwdriver may be needed to get pins in the right place first…

eskay

Mine rotates 90 degrees

thorpedo

Yep, you have to twist it…

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Yeah, the 13 pin connector is a bayonet fitting.

chief1409
    Free Member

Cheers folks. I know that the 13 pin end twists into the socket on the car (I’ve got a towball bike carrier), its just that i can’t get it to work.
    So does the internal part of the adaptor spin in its housing to allow you to line up the notches? I’ve had a good play around with it and can’t seem to get it to budge…. Don;t want to force it too much in case I’m trying to move it in a way it shouldn’t be moved!

Cougar

I’ve no idea about this, but a photo might help those who do?

eskay

So does the internal part of the adaptor spin in its housing to allow you to line up the notches?

Not on mine. I push it into the 13 pin socket on the car and then hold the outer shell and rotate it 90 degrees (clockwise I think). The 7 pin rack plug then just plugs straight into it.
    Which notches do not line up? Is it the 7 pin plug into the 7 pin socket?

chief1409
    Free Member

Cheers for the help folks. Pair of pliers to turn the internals and line up the notches and groves properly and job done.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘13 pin towbar and 7 pin trailer problem’ is closed to new replies.