Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • 127 hours.
  • RustySpanner

It’s going to get nasty, isn’t it?

piemonster

Yes, quite soon

piemonster

There it goes

bearnecessities

I preferred Airport live.

Yes, live.

piemonster

😀

Blackhound

Recorded it to watch another time when I have mtfu. Always felt it was not a film I wanted to see, even though I know it is just acting and tomato sauce.

patriotpro
    Free Member

It gets MUCH nastier before it gets nice…

mrhoppy

Read the book and ended up cheering on the rock, good grief he comes across as a dick.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Glad you said that. I thought there was something wrong with me not caring if he gets out or not.

athgray
    Free Member

Saw it for the first time last night. Thought it was ok. Touching The Void is a far better ‘fight for survival’ film IMO.

donks
    Free Member

Just chatting to a guy at the wall who was actually trapped by a dislodged rock on a climb in Yorkshire last weekend. Fire brigade were called and had to jack the rock away. He was pretty lucky not to be more hurt than he is …. Just scrapes and bruises.

teenrat

I’d love to go riding in the sandstone wilderness on this film! A proper get away from it all. Would take a decent penknife though!

brakes
    Free Member

wilderness needs trees and other green stuff, not sand.

teenrat

not true – definition is ‘An uncultivated, uninhabited, and inhospitable region’ ‘An extensive area, such as a desert or ocean, that is barren or empty’

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Thought the book was good. Pretty accomplished climber which they don’t touch on in the film really. Just unlucky with that boulder… Daft not to leave a route with some one though..

takisawa2

Best thing about that there film is “Festival”, the Sigur Ross track playing when he finally gets free…

Kevevs
    Free Member

I agree takisawa2. It’s not enough of an idea/storyline to make for a decent film I think, although it’s a nice try, but left me a bit meh. You just don’t care for the guy. Into The Wild on the other hand – pretty good!

jonahtonto
    Free Member

call me heartless but at one point i said out loud “just get on with it and chop your arm off”

andyfla
    Free Member

My trouble was I kept on thinking that if only he had told someone where he was going it would have been a much shorter film, and I agree I felt no empathy as a character

camo16
    Free Member

jonah tonto, you’re heartless.

RustySpanner

Well, I liked it.

And I actually preferred it for a change that he wasn’t a perfect human being, but just an ordinary bloke.

We’re so used to the Hollywood cliches these days that the truth, even when as remarkable and shocking as this, can seem a little disappointing.

patriotpro
    Free Member

If you didn’t feel for him stuck down there then you are a hollow incarnate of the devil!

camo16
    Free Member

I haven’t seen it since it came out. Dude drank his own wee, didn’t he? Then there’s an hour of hallucinations, choppage, roll end credits.

Point Break was better.

DezB
    Free Member

Point Break was better.

No. No it wasn’t.

samuri
    Free Member

In the book he came across as a real risk taker. Nowt wrong with that but he’d put himself and others in danger more than once through his badly thought out approach to the risk. Not that he deserves to lose his arm for it but something like this was bound to happen at some point.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

It’s a good survival story but makes a lousy film IMHO.

RustySpanner

Point Break was better.

😀

I’d rather be strapped to a Tory and forced to watch the collected speeches of Nigel Lawson than watch that childish, ill conceived, mindless, bromantic, stinking pile of thinly disguised rhinocerous toss ever, ever again.

Mamma Mia! is a better film than Point Break.

In fact, if you gave a Go Pro to a stable boy and asked him to film an entire day of shovelling shite, THAT would be a better film than Point Break.

The only film worse than Point Break is Top Gun.
    But it really is a very close thing.

DezB
    Free Member

I think that’s (sort of) what I said, Rusty Spanner 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

Rusty and DezB, you’re on dangerous grounds there!

You’ve obviously missed the majesty of Bigelow’s masterpiece. So [dons schoolmaster hat] here comes your lesson…

Point Break is a classic of its era, featuring career defining performances from Swayze, Reeves, Petty and Busey. The plot is original, emotionally moving and über intelligent, the pacing is just the right blend of cop-ethics-pathos and seat-of-pants-flying. Plus, it’s got bank robbers dressed like former presidents… were you watching the same film?

Compared to Point Break, 127 Hours is just a wee-drinking dude who chops his arm off. Nuff said. 😉

[de-dons schoolmaster hat]

Kevevs
    Free Member

Well, I liked it.

And I actually preferred it for a change that he wasn’t a perfect human being, but just an ordinary bloke.

We’re so used to the Hollywood cliches these days that the truth, even when as remarkable and shocking as this, can seem a little disappointing.

I had you better than that fillulm buff. I Dissapoint. it is pretty shit. Each to their own 😀

jimification
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say “just unlucky with that boulder“…Samurai is right: He takes so many risks and does so many stupid things in the book (fighting a bear for his food, jumping into a frozen river, leading his friends into an avalanche) it’s actually a miracle he survived long enough to get his hand trapped.

I did enjoy both the book and film though 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

thanks

Rscott
    Free Member

Having read the book I thought the guy was a doosh, If I was one of his friends there is now way i would go any ware with him he’s a liability to him self and anyone around him. I swore i wouldn’t watch the film, but one damp evening i found myself stuck between A rack and a hard place (my Missis and her mother) one with the remote the other insisting i spend time with them. they put it on, i cried a little then contemplated drinking my own wee to see if it would make me hallucinate.

samuri
    Free Member

Did…did rusty just say Top Gun is a crap film?

TOP GUN!!!?? A pure celebration of 80’s machoism combined with a good old fashioned American display of superiority, white teeth and fast planes?

IT’S GOT MEG RYAN IN IT!!!!!

And a GPZ900. You could see Tom Cruise, right?
    No, No, No, No, No.

andyfla
    Free Member

Anything to report ?
    I surfed my first tube today ……

Classic

camo16
    Free Member

@ samuri – I get the feeling that Rusty and DezB are the kind of dudes who think Mike Leigh’s Blethyn-laden travesty ‘Secrets & Lies’ is a proper classic. 🙄

Anything to report ?
    I surfed my first tube today ……

Classic

Now there’s a fella who understands good movies. 😉

RustySpanner

There is nothing,nothing ‘macho’ about Top Gun, unless you consider the video for YMCA by Village People to encompass all that is noble about masculinity.

And Tom Cruise has never, ever, been in a good film.

Not once.
    Ever.

Apart from Valkyrie & Tropic Thunder, but that was just coincidence.

😀

camo16
    Free Member

And Tom Cruise has never, ever, been in a good film.

I dunno, man, he was pretty badass in Born on the Fourth of July.

RustySpanner

I dunno, man, he was pretty badass in Born on the Fourth of July.

An appaling film.

Overwrought, bombastic nonsense, as is usual for Oliver Stone.

camo16
    Free Member

I can’t even tempt you with Cocktail? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘127 hours.’ is closed to new replies.