Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • £1260 MTB BUILD!
  • ahgaot
    Free Member

Hi guys. I have a tight budget of around £1260. Is it possible to build up a huckable, durable bike that can take abuse, yet do well on climbs and all day rides?

I’m eyeing the NS Surge 2012 frame.

Is the budget too tight to go fs? What parts should i get for my build?

Thanks guys.
    Steve

honourablegeorge

Discounted Sektors off Merlin, SLX group from one of the German sites, Superstar Flow wheels and finishing kit – should have cash left over from all that for a few nice bits.

wwaswas

‘huckable’ means different things to different people.

Are you going to be 80ft ‘drop to accident’ type stuff or just rolling off modest kerbs?

alfabus
    Free Member

Does it have to be new? At that price, the second hand world is your lobster.

I picked up a Pitch pro (a while back) in mint condition for a grand. Very much fits the bill of what you are after.

Dave

letmetalktomark

I built my XO/X9 Cotic Soul for a similar price to yours – very possible.

tinsy
    Free Member

Look at Pauls Cycles for heavily discounted new bikes.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I managed to build a Cotic BFe for pretty much exactly that figure! I have a rockshox revelation rlt fork, SLX/XT groupset and elixir 5/cr carbon brakes. didn’t pay RRP for anything. would have cost over double if I had bought everything at RRP. but it might be a bit tight for a full sus. ON ONE were doing a carbon 456 frame and some £400 wheels for £400 FOR THE LOT. if you can get a deal like that, it will be easy

ampthill

FS patience and used are your friend

Fuel ex for £800. Thats £500 off for one ride…

You should be able to a great hard tail for that. Look a some on-one off the shelf options

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for how huckable does it need to be?

Big drops or do you just want something that’s going to last on normal trails with a few jumps and trips tot he BMX track?

If you’re considdering hardtails I’d say On-One 456 evo for £900, and put the change towards replacing bits as and when they break. Or if it’s still intact after a year, get the fork internals upgraded by LOCO.

I’ve just build a Chumba HX1 for arroudn that price:

Frame – £300
    Headset – hope – £70
    XT 2×10 groupset – £480 (inc ice tech brakes and rotors, all bought seperately)
    Nukeproof stem and post – £80
    Ragley wiser carbon – £50
    Charge spoon – £20
    =£1000

A few odds and ends, bling and grips etc adds another £100

Forks and wheels I already had, but swap the groupset for SLX and the frame to on-one and you could easily get some new sektors from merlin and have change left over for some secondhand wheels.

ahgaot
    Free Member

Hi guys. Very very pleased with all the replies. Exactly the information i wanted.

Well, huckable to me = manueverable, responsive and agile in air, not big drops, but jumps and small – medium drops on trails and light DH.

I took a LONG time researching on all the LTHT – Ragley bluepig+ mmmbop, on one 456 + ss, chumba hx1, cotic soul and bfe, orange crush, evil sov, transAm etc.. But due to budget issues i was down to NS Surge or cotic bfe.

Wanted to get the cotic, but had to shy away due to the extra cash needed.

I would prefer frame, fork and groupset to be new to avoid durability issues. The rest can be 2nd hand.

@PeaslakeDave: Wow! Amazing! I tried hard calculate my cost if i went with the bfe but always bust the budget. Care to list out ur setup with price?

ahgaot
    Free Member

The ragley bp and on one 456 frames seem a little long.. More trail orientated?

ahgaot
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge: these are SICK SICK deals! Thanks dude! Very much appreciated.. Couldn’t thank you enough.. And i thought CRC had the best deals around. Haha. Have these sites been tested? Any issues with service and trust?

1981miked
    Free Member

I built my Cotic soul for that. New frame, forks, headset, BB and wheels, everything else second hand and in excellent condition.

16″ Cotic Soul in Orange
    Rockshox Sector forks with 20mm bolt through
    Hope hoops on Stans flow rims
    Hope headset, bb and seat pin
    Thomson seatpost and stem
    Sunline V1 bars (now running Easton monkey lite carbon)
    SRAM X0 rear mech
    SRAM X9 shifter
    SRAM cassette
    Race face cranks and 32 tooth chainring (I run 1×9)
    Formula ORO K18 brakes

Comes in at just over 26 lbs…

Easily done and a great bike for everything..

Poss for sale ; )

honourablegeorge

ahgaot – Member

@honourablegeorge
    : these are SICK SICK deals! Thanks dude! Very much appreciated.. Couldn’t thank you enough.. And i thought CRC had the best deals around. Haha. Have these sites been tested? Any issues with service and trust?

Merlin are about the most reliable site around, as far as delivery service/customer experience goes. I use the two German sites regularly, never had a problem with either, they take 3-5 days to deliver (I’m In Ireland, you might do better), out of stock stuff comes into stock when they say it will.

Superstar – well, you get varying opinions on then, but their stuff on the whole is value for the money. For £50 more, you can get Hope Hoops, if budget permits.

FYI – the SLX brakes form Rose come with the levers the wrong way round (Right rear, left front) but it’s an easy swap.

samwise
    Free Member

i built up my orange p7 for about 1260:

Got full slx group – 200

Hope ceramic bottom bracket 75

hope headset and spacers 65

Hope x2 evo brakes and rotors 250

Hope pro2 evo on stans flow rims 300 (as i wanted in red but black u cang et pair for 250 or less)

Sunline vone stem – £25

Fsa bars – £6

charge spoon saddle £15

raceface seatpost £10

Frame p7 £200

Forks £250

ok so just added it up and spent abit more on itthen id thought but i think you can easily build a great bike for the money youve got

seanoc
    Free Member

MTB prices are through the roof, I could never justify getting a new bike ever again.

4 years ago a built up a Cannondale Prophet, full XTR, DT Swiss XCR forks, JRA handbuilt wheels, Tompson jewellery and it came in at £1968; everything was spankers new.

Sorry this doesn’t help, the whole thing just beggars belief.

warpcow
    Free Member

When I were a lad…

deviant
    Free Member

Yes, very easy to do….456-Evo from On-One with 150mm Revs in the £500 package they’re offering….wheels from Superstar at around £200-300….spend the rest on good solid Deore running gear….you’d probably have change too!

ahgaot
    Free Member

Merlin are about the most reliable site around, as far as delivery service/customer experience goes. I use the two German sites regularly, never had a problem with either, they take 3-5 days to deliver (I’m In Ireland, you might do better), out of stock stuff comes into stock when they say it will.

Superstar – well, you get varying opinions on then, but their stuff on the whole is value for the money. For £50 more, you can get Hope Hoops, if budget permits.

FYI – the SLX brakes form Rose come with the levers the wrong way round (Right rear, left front) but it’s an easy swap.

Hey man, thanks a million. Shall regularly visit these sides to hunt for deals.. but there seems to be a small problem with the bike-components.de website. It can’t be changed to English language, so I can’t understand the specifications of the parts.

honourablegeorge

@ahgoat – Click “English” at the bottom of the page, it should translate

Failing that – use Google Chrome, it will offer to translate automatically.

ahgaot
    Free Member

I use Firefox. It’s still in German I think.. Shall dwnload chrome then. By the way, watch this guys.. Crazy hardcore stuff..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhQ2-Gvhl8k[/video]

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

ahgoat – here’s my list
    just remembered I got crc’s Christmas vouchers – £500 worth for £400
    in no particular order:
    BFe frame £300
    revelation rlt fork £300
    on one max adaptable maxle wheelset £150
    avid elixir 5 front brake £80
    avid elixir cr carbon rear brake £90
    SLX chainset & BB £90
    SLX shifters £50
    XT front mech £27
    XT rear mech £50
    xt chain £30
    shwalbe albert snake skin front tyre £15
    continental race king rear tyre £15
    On-One 3D Forged Stem £12.50
    ritchey pro saddle £20
    ritchey pro streem seat post £23
    welgo V8 copy pedals £13
    shop costs for stuff I couldn’t do £52
    fsa orbit II headset £20
    funn bars £15
    kona grips £6

dantsw13

Ahgaot, I’ve built a few bikes up recently. £400 will buy you a great second hand FS frame. I bought my Santa Cruz Heckler for £300 with a DHX 5 coil shock. One of my mates has just picked up a Yeti 575 frame for £450. Then go for new drivetrain , brakes and fork.

For the fork, Merlin has some crazy offers. For brakes, Shimano Deore from Rose bikes website for £70 for the pair!!!

Lastly, don’t skimp on a cheap bottom bracket. The standard Hollowtech2 ones last about 3 months. I bought the hope ceramic bearing one and haven’t looked back!

Enjoy the build! You can’t beat the feeling of riding the bike you built yourself.

continuity
    Free Member

Buy a secondhand remedy, reign or enduro?

ahgaot
    Free Member

@PeaslakeDave: thanks alot dude for your input! How long is your seatpost? Cotic Bfe seems like a beut.. How does it ride?

@dantsw13: Thanks for your advice. New to building up from frame.. my first build! Is there anything else I should take note of, in terms of durability and cost? Hope Ceramic Bottom Brackets have been recommended countless times by forum members everywhere! Sweet deals on those FS frames. I ain’t as lucky as you. Plan to start with NS Surge 2012 frame. Not too sure if the other parts I plan to buy fits, though.

@continuity: Nah.. Not planning to go FS. Planning to start with hardtail to pick up skills first. Thanks for your input anyway(:

gaberin
    Free Member

I got an Slx groupset for £175, I think it was from action sports De

continuity
    Free Member

Buy a secondhand on-one carbon456 with revelations?

steezysix
    Free Member

NS Surge is a great frame – you won’t regret getting one!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Dam- if you had £1261 I reckon it was doable 😀

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

Mine added up comes to £1265 + 2 £1.80 tubes 😆
    when I first got it I really liked it but now I’ve given it a couple of rides, I’m really starting to love it. It just rides so smoothly and I can thrash it as much as I like – and it thanks me for it 🙂
    I have a medium frame and a 400mm seat post but I don’t need one that long. I’d be pushing it with a 300mm but a 350mm one would do fine

ahgaot
    Free Member

NS Surge is a great frame – you won’t regret getting one!

Have you ridden one before? Any experiences to share about the NS Surge 2012 frame? I’m alittle worried about the weight though. Listed weight: 2.73kg

@PeaslakeDave haha nice man. You got urself a sweet deal and a sweet ride. It has always been the Bfe or the Surge for me. All your parts new? Or are there any you got 2nd hand?

ahgaot
    Free Member

By the way, what fork do you reckon i should get? Thinking of running Sektor Solo Airs, but are there any other forks that don’t bust the budget while performing superbly? Revs and Pikes? Would much prefer new forks though, so Pikes are out, since they’re discontinued or something..

wrecker
    Free Member
    scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have heard that you can still get pikes imported from the US. My mate got some for around £300 a few weeks ago.

I built up a Surge recently, but did have most of the parts on a donor bike already. However, I did save some bucks by not putting gears on it, which actually is something to consider. I was amazed how well a singlespeed suge climbs – better than my slot dropout inbred that I had before, and you’d be saving £ on shifters, mech, chain device etc.

I’ve been using it as an all round trail bike – handles jumps and drops extremely well.

ahgaot
    Free Member

scott_mcavennie2 – Member

I have heard that you can still get pikes imported from the US. My mate got some for around £300 a few weeks ago.

I built up a Surge recently, but did have most of the parts on a donor bike already. However, I did save some bucks by not putting gears on it, which actually is something to consider. I was amazed how well a singlespeed suge climbs – better than my slot dropout inbred that I had before, and you’d be saving £ on shifters, mech, chain device etc.

I’ve been using it as an all round trail bike – handles jumps and drops extremely well.

Nice bike, very nice.. I think I’m getting the white though. You got the L sized? The top tube looks long. How heavy is your whole setup? Looks pretty sweet. Which frame should I get? I’m about 5ft 8.5inches with my inseam at 31.5inch. I’m a little confused with the sizing..

And, what length is your seatpost? I know the seat tube is very short, but what length seatpost should I run, to allow for proper leg extension for all day rides, yet can be lowered enough to not get in the way when the things get rough? Do advice!

Many thanks..!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

At your size you definitely want the small. I am 6 foot and the large fits me perfectly.

I went for a 410 seatpost but had to cut 2-3 inches off that to slam it to the bottom, which was ok because it still goes high enough. If you raise the saddle you can pedal it round nicely, slam it and you can flick and chuck it around. I use it for commuting and weekend rides over at the Surrey hills. Rides everything that I do on my 6inch travel pitch, and is almost as fast downhill.

Bike weighs 27lbs as it is.

ahgaot
    Free Member

I don’t think theres a S sized frame for the newest NS Surge. Theres only M and L. I guess i’d get meself the M then, what do you think? Hey, at 27lbs, its pretty good in the weight department! Hmm guess i’d run 350mm seatposts then. Hows the frame holding up to abuse?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I meant the medium. It’ll be fine!

Only had mine 3 weeks now, seems to be holding up well. Supposed to be bombproof, and I guess that’s right!

A 350mm post should be fine.

ahgaot
    Free Member

Hey, thanks 4 all that info man! Fully appreciate it. Well, can’t wait to get started building up mine.. Happy riding!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘£1260 MTB BUILD!’ is closed to new replies.