Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • 125cc enduro bikes, bad idea?
  • Big-M
    Free Member

Another vote for a KTM 200 here, light, quick, manageable on and off road. Easy enough to service and repair at home.

I suspect that a 450 4 stroke might be a step too far if you haven't raced before, easy enough to ride on the road but it'd get you into alot of trouble very quickly off road.

Try and get a copy of TBM if you can, worth a read.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you are dead set on a trail bike how about a TW 200. Decent commuter, low seat, decent for gentle trail riding.

**giggle**

You havin' a laff, right? Trail riding on a TW? Yeah. Right.

tracknicko
    Free Member

likewise a drz400 will not manage on an mx track.

enduro track maybe. but mx? seriously?

stratobiker
    Free Member

1. Most Enduro bikes don't have an ignition switch with a set of keys, so you can't leave it anywhere.

2. Enduro bikes don't have a 'cush' drive in the back wheel. So riding it on tarmac a lot would not be good for the bike.

3. An Enduro bike on the road will go through tyres in no time.

4. An Enduro bike on wet tarmac would be one scary commute.

5. An Enduro bike on the road won't have much in the way of top speed.

Hang on, what about an Enduro bike with a two sets of wheels? One off road set, and one super moto set and brake adaptor? Like CCM used to do, except that CCM's wern't that good.

5thElefant
    Free Member

likewise a drz400 will not manage on an mx track.

enduro track maybe. but mx? seriously?
    When they first came out you saw lots at enduros. They'll still win in a beginners class and do OK in sportsman. Obviously the same rider would go a lot quicker on a real enduro bike, but they'll do. They're best in the trail bike class (obviously), not that many clubs run that class (TBEC is one of the few).

They work OK at old-school MX tracks like Ashdown.

But obviously they're best at commuting and trail riding, can do enduros and (for a laugh) can be taken on an MX track.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ok enough nonsense, if you want a 2 stroke you can commute that can go off road and even negotiate a MX track then get a Honda CRM 250. The Active Radical would be the most exotic but a good MK3 would be my choice. They are all getting on a bit now but you will find a good one if you look. They were grey imports but Leisure Trail still have loads of spares. I have raced a Mk2 and a Mk3 and they are ace little bikes. Honda quality and all the road stuff you need.

Forget about full on comp machinery, impractical horrible to ride on road for any distance and will be shagged faster than a whore when the navy hits town. Then take into the stuff like non locking fuel fillers and every little scrote will rob it given half the chance. Riding at night will be lethal and the police will pull you constantly.

There hasn't been a bike invented that will do all three.

5thElefant
    Free Member

There hasn't been a bike invented that will do all three.

Plenty will do all 3, none will do all 3 well.

As good as the CRMs were, I'm not sure an antique is the solution.

Pigface
    Free Member

Antique??? 🙄 The OP doesnt sound like he is going to be entering the WEC anytime soon.

stratobiker
    Free Member

shagged faster than a whore when the navy hits town

LOL 🙂

Must remember that one.

mattsccm
    Free Member

CCM's not good!!!!!!!???????????????????????? 😈
    The 604 was the best SM ever!!!!And although I loved all my 604's I reckon the 404 was the best trailbike made. Even better than my current CRF230 which is for sale to buy more 604'S

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've no idea what the WEC is so not planing on entering that!

The 'commute' is just 3 miles, when I oversleep missing my lift and its too cold/miserable to want to cycle, and there's grit on the roads so the MG's tucked up indoors.

Playing at the MX track, I've no intention of raceing, just want to survive a few hours of fun.

Enduro: OK fast green laneing might have been a better description. I've friends who race and ride socialy so as long as they'r not dissapearing over the horizon it's good enough. Maybe I'll do a few beginners level races in the future.

TJ: Yamaha TW? Seriously? It's a 125 learner bike with a big rear tire! Next you'll be telling me the CG125 with some knoblies is the answer!

wr250r
    +long service intervals (600 to run-in, 6000 thereafter)
    +reasnoble engine (33hp, but thats with the silly airbox vacuum restrictor, exup, and probably not the gretest fuel mapping etc)
    + adjustable suspension
    +identical geometry to the competition bikes
    +comes in supermotard trim as well so obviously works on the road.

mos

Get yorself to the Yama Offroad Experience. Ther have all the WR range there (F's & R's). We went a few weeks ago & a couple of lads were on 250r's all day with no probs at all. For £190, it will seriously inform your descision & probably teach you a lot about off raod riding too.

A guy at work, bought an aprillia RXV450 for exactly the same usage as you & it looks a right PITA. Yes he's got two sets of wheels, but then needed a smaller sprocket to make it viable on the road with s/m tyres, so now needs to faff about with his chain whenever he wants to change wheels. Because he's also got an 800cc firestorm & has done 60mph in the field in front of his house he thinks he's gonna own us all at Armthorpe on saturday, i can't **** wait!

Me, i've got a kx250f crosser that i use for mx & some h&h, for road use, i have a car, much less likely to get some spunk gargler knocking me off.

mos

Yes, you'd be better off with a 250r. You'll be selling the 125r within 3 months.
    No you won't blow it up, unless you ride like a dork & don't look after it.

As for 450's, the FIM is looking at ditching them & brining in a 350cc class for 2011/2012, which says a lot for their usefullness. Only fat vets & hero's seem to like 450's.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

What ou want is the WR250r. Got a great write up in TBM.

uplink
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – what do you weigh?

singlespeedstu

*LOL's at some of the MX/Enduro wonnabes* 🙄 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The TW was just an idea for a bike that would do the commute and gentle greenlaning. You have to compromise in one direction or another and that is the commuter with a touch of offfroadability.

Its no MXer but is an MXer a good idea for a newbie?

How about an enfield trials then 🙂

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Having had a DRZ400 for a few years, I really enjoyed it. I used it for 60miles commute as well as riding with local trf group and even did the odd H&H's. If I was buying again I I'd look at the WR250R for sure. All the guys with KTM's in the TRF had no end of trouble with them.
    PS All 2 strokes are cr*p 😀

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If I was wanting an trail/enduro type bike to use off-road and on road I'd go buy a good old Suzuki DR350.
    My old man has one fitted with a Swona 390 big bore kit and exhuast – it's an awful lot of fun…. And good enough to get a bunch of guys around the world and beyond…

IainGillam
    Free Member

If the commute is only 3 miles then the WR250 sounds like it will be fine, if you have friends that do a simmilar sort of riding to whatv you are looking at doing why not try a few of their bikes out and see what you like. Most of the Jap marques have a fairly simmilar feeling in my experience of the MX bikes they are usually have a higher seat and bars than Hondas for example, Honda's being generally the most neutral feeling in the erganomics dept. KTM's tend to feel quite odd if you are used to the Japaniese bikes and I personally dislike the PDS suspension for motocross but it is said to work well in an enduro scenario. I would suggest if your mates have a varied range of rides have a play about see which brand you like most and buy their 250f enduro version.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

he thinks he's gonna own us all at Armthorpe on saturday, i can't **** wait!

You never know, he may well end up owning you;)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know thats a joke, but have you ridden an enfield trials? The wr125r probably has more power! God only knows where they get the rated power from as the thing barely revs, let alone moves!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

this is not a spoon – I own a tuned enfield – must have all off 22 bhp. Stock is 18 IIRC claimed. ( it wa a joke :-))

mos

He wouldn't be the first & certainly won't be the last.

richtea
    Free Member

Another vote for the KTM 200 here. Do it. Do it now. 8)

Edit: no, actually, get the TW200. LOL 😆 classic

br
    Free Member

Didn't realise it was only a 3 mile commute – walk…

Or just pick up a cheap scooter.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

22hp must have been the 350? The much more manly 500 has 35hp IIRC, a proper machine, still goes nowhere fast mind 😛 How exactly do you tune something made from a mix of cast iron and wattle&dawb? 😛

I've walked it a few times, not a nice walk! Options are a)cycle, b)lift, c)car, d)motorbike, cant justify a scooter for the once in a million years it'd actualy get used!

5thElefant
    Free Member

If it's only 3 miles a MX bike with plates will do it. 😯

Just buy the one you want the most. You'll figure out where your priorities lie in a few months and you can then chop it in for something else (or not).

mattsccm
    Free Member

Obvious.
    My CRF230.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

matt, does that mean your's is for sale?

Is it a CCM or a CRF? (I'm trying to guess from your name?)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This is not a spoon – the enfield 500 is ( was when I got mine) 18 bhp as stock.

Lots of tuning available for them – mine has a gas flowed head and a 36 mm concentric carb. tune them any more and you need a new bigend as well.

According to the magazines a TW is capable offroad – for greenlaning – thats what it is designed for.

Its not a pseudo motocross penis extension – its a trailbike Low seat hight and soft engine characteristics Go read the reviews

mattsccm
    Free Member

the CRF230. Had a heap of CCM's , decided to try the 230 as there were a few in the club and they are great for LDT's and tough enduros. Alos I C of C our LDT, the Wyegate, so the 230 suited. 3 years on and I just fancy a change. Loved my 604's so aiming to build a rally style bike.

neilforrow

KX500 ?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Maico 700?

jackthedog
    Free Member

It's not in any way cool or in any way a respected machine among the dirtbike crew and so it'll get laughed out of existance like the TW200 did, but for general commuting with the occassional bit of dirt I'd look at the Rieju Tango.

Sounds like Chinese monkeymetal but they're an established Spanish manufacturer. The new Gas Gas Pampera is a badge engineered 125 Tango, and one of their crossers is made by Gas Gas.

The Tangos look good, the 125s have Yam engines, they're narrow, not super tall, and they weigh next to nowt. I'd fancy the 250cc but the engine's an unknown quantity, not being from Yam, so I'd like to hear reliablity reports before going for it.

If the main use is on tarmac with the occassional bit of dirt, and you can cope with not looking harcore like you would on the metal posted above (although I think you can spec the more traditional phallic MX fender if you wish) they look just the ticket.

Vid of someone messing around on an mx course the 250:

neilforrow

Maico 700 – that is a beast! didnt know they did a 700, the 490 / 500 was bad enough.

A mate had a cr500, put on the road for as a motard / GL'ing on a daytime MOT, no lights, tiny number plate facing the sky and a bike reflector.

he was quick at Mallory Park on it… nuts bike.

blade72003
    Free Member

Now you got me thinking was after an honda XR250 but only has kick start so have now upped my plans for a CRF250X and the wr250 as well thought there would be quite a few good ones for sale this time of year but don't seem to be going to use mine for GL only with bit of road to get me there

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

mmmmm macio……………….

Might be a bit on the mental side though!

Pigface
    Free Member

Come on put a picture up of a Vertamati, we have had everything else 🙂

epicyclo

TandemJeremy – Member
    this is not a spoon – I own a tuned enfield – must have all off 22 bhp…

Blimey, they had more than that 40 years ago. Easy to tune too, my brother's was timed at 110 over a half mile – Wal Phillips fuel injector and other goodies. Kept up with my Super Meteor no problem.

Shame they don't do a Velocette reproduction 🙂 Funnily enough I've been eyeing off the Enfield.

To the OP, don't confuse your transport with your toys.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘125cc enduro bikes, bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.