Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • £125 for Genetic Testing – would you?
  • wwaswas

just re-read my last post – fixed it as outside the edit window

No one (I think) has said that genetic testing if performed accurately and with adequate counselling and medical support can can’t be of benefit

cinnamon_girl

Um, I have two permanent health conditions one of which is inherited so completely accept that I have a different viewpoint to many. There is no right or wrong.

tonyg2003

A couple of points. The 23andme no longer banned in the US, since they have toned down many of the claims. Although the FDA letter to 23andMe was pretty full on.

Also it’s not really a full diagnostic test, it’s more of a lifestyle screen that has some element of prediction risk since there is a fair amount of subjectivity to interpreting the results. It was widely reported a few years ago, when journalists send their DNA to a few different labs, they got quite widely different interpretation of their results.

The serious stuff (cancer predisposition, late on-set disorders) have all been removed from the current test.

I work in genetic diagnostics and would I use it – no. Either go for a proper test or save you £125 (btw it’s $99 in the US)

johnnystorm

Whats the stats for false positives and false negatives? Complete waste of time. If it was worth it, at £100 a time, the NHS would already be doing it.

tonyg2003

The technology is actually very robust. +99.9% accuracy with 23andMe outsource the testing. It’s the interpretation that can be subjective.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Without waffling on too much, the main issue is that genome sequencing tells you which sequences are present, not which genes are being expressed.

Given that even the relationship between any single gene being expressed and a disease state is rarley known, the presence of a potentially expressed sequence is an even less direct indicator.

Ideally you need to sequence expressed genes from the target tissue of the disease – then you would have quite a good chance of getting some realistic data.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

twinw4ll – Member

Wouldn’t bother having the NHS well man mallarkey, so no.

Why not? I know of four peole who’ve had prostate cancer picked up this way, unfortunately one was too late and another isn’t looking good as it’s spread despite treatment, but still better than if he’d delayed and they’d not found it untill it’d spread.

Personaly I’d be all for it, but then I did recently mistake a photo of my grandad on his wedding day for my younger brother and grear-great-grandad for my grandad so no issues there, we clearly have very distinctive genes.

athgray
    Free Member

Interesting thread. I found out in the past year that I have a 50% chance of developing Huntingtons Disease. Currently going through genetic councilling to decide whether to get tested or not.
    I feel this has come into family life, but not knowing the answer is like chasing shadows. If I choose to, looking at a test early next year.

chewkw
    Free Member

There is one certainty for all of us … death. 🙄

ourmaninthenorth

Went to see a doctor over something I thought might be quite minor. He did a standard test and ended up dismissing the original thing in favour of something potentially very serious. I don’t gave a diagnosis of that but a genetic test could reveal that I do have it (or will develop it) and intend to keep it that way for as long as possible so I can continue to access life insurance, travel insurance or a (re)mortgage.

Though the risk has heavily influenced my attitude to having any more children.

onandon
    Free Member

My wife ordered two tests today so I’ll see how it goes. I’ll post any interesting information as I move though the process.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

125 quid?. Could’ve bought one of those reverbs from canyon, and enough left for a few beers!.

brakes
    Free Member

who gets to see the results? they should do it cheaper for those willing to share their results for a database – surely that would be of some research use?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘£125 for Genetic Testing – would you?’ is closed to new replies.