Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 120mm to 140mm – or not? (29er HT content)
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Thinking of pushing the Revs on my Nimble 9 up to 140mm, more to raise the bars (steerer is a little short) and to try the slacker HA than because I need the travel.

Anyone done this and wished they hadn’t? Or started from 140 and gone down instead?

mattjg
    Free Member

I guess I’ll just have to try it then!

Dyffers
    Free Member

Started with 100mm Rebas on my Yelli last year, which convinced me to buy the 140mm Revs a couple of months later. No regrets, loads of fun pointing down which is what I built it for, but it’s far from an XC whippet up the hills.

FOG

Not at all the same bike but still a 29er, Iwent 120 but I was wrong , should have gone 140.

ska-49
    Free Member

Matt, wasn’t the yelli I sold you fitted with 140mm Revs?
    I thought the yelli and N9 are essentially the same frame so won’t they handle very similarly. How was the yelli with 140mm forks?

Yetiman
    Free Member

Again, not the same bike, but I have a Ragley Big Wig with 140mm Fox 34’s on it and it feels and rides great. That’s with an external bottom cup too.

mattjg
    Free Member

@ska yes that Yelli, those Revs. I never rode it like that, I downspaced the forks immediately.

I’ve been running the bars higher on my N9 recently (long steerer @ 120mm) and find I prefer it, especially for manhandling the bike around.

Thx all, I’ll give it a whizz, there seems no good reason not to give it a try!

Started with 100mm Rebas on my Yelli last year, which convinced me to buy the 140mm Revs a couple of months later.

That’s quite a jump!

mattjg
    Free Member

Now that I have acquired a Flow wheel set I can get the Yelli up and running. My current plan is:

Yelli – light and fast SS (Rebas @ 120mm, Crests)
    N9 – trail bike (Revs at 140mm, 1×10, Flows)

People are going to say, reasonably, that’s back to front, but to my mind the Yelli is lighter and the steel makes the N9 a comfier trail bike.

sandwicheater

Went from 100mm Rebas on my Scandal to 140mm Revs. Idea being it felt just too low on the steep stuff.

I liked it and had no regrets. Dropped a spacer on the stem so was 10mm lower.

chakaping
    Free Member

I put a 140mm Rev on a 29er HT that was factiory specced with a 120mm fork.

Intended to drop the travel later, but it rides really well and I use all the travel so I’ve just kept it like that.

mattjg
    Free Member

140 is the new 120.

Dyffers
    Free Member

That’s quite a jump!

The Rebas were borrowed from my Niner, which is out and out fast XC. Although the Yelli felt fine with them on they were always just a placeholder until I got a bigger fork at a sale price; the brief for the Yelli was ‘not another XC bike’.

On days when I dream about riding things like the Highland Trail Race, I reckon the perfect bike would be a 100mm-forked, Crest-wheeled Yelli, so it would climb ok but you could enjoy the descents too. 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah I always enjoyed riding my Yelli. I’d have sold it when I got the N9 expect now the Parkwood has made it (in most people’s eyes, I’m not saying I agree) near worthless. So it’s going to get a new lease of life. I rode it a lot SS before, it went well.

But it’s got to be said that the N9 is more comfy.

Dyffers
    Free Member

I run mine with 2.4s on P35 rims, so comfort isn’t a problem… but that might account for why I don’t think it flys up climbs 😉

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I run my Yelli with 140 X Fusion Trace after clearing it with the boys at Canfield, I cant imagine running it with less and find it just fine on XC stuff, but point it down and well thats why they call it a Yelli 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Yelli Screamy love in!

(Canfield majorly goofed on the high UK cost of the Yelli IMO, if they were more ‘affordable’ they’d be everywhere).

Rorschach
    Free Member

Started with 120 on my Yelli (I miss you so) went to 130 and ended up at 140.As long as you can keep the bars in the right place there were no negatives.

justatheory
    Free Member

I swapped the Fox 32s in 120 to 140 pikes with the intention of reducing the travel but they feel great so left them at 140

brant
    Free Member

Saw a Zealous yesterday. Looked great. Nice details.

mattjg
    Free Member

is this turning into a long travel 29er HT thread? (good).

Dyffers
    Free Member

is this turning into a long travel 29er HT thread?

Oh go on then… 😀

Gotama’s old XL Yelli frame, mine since summer last year. The ano purple has grown on me. Love the ride.

Gotama
    Free Member

Huh, wondered if that was mine when I first saw the photo as there’s not many purple around. Damn I miss that frame, (including the colour!) good to see its getting some use and you’re enjoying it though.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Matches the heather 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

What kind of person would sell a Yelli Screamy?

mattjg
    Free Member

For that matter what kind of person would buy a purple Yelli Screamy?

Rorschach
    Free Member

What kind of person would sell a Yelli Screamy

An idiot…..I’m miss mine soooooooooo.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I went from 120 to 140 on my yelli but didn’t like it …wandered to much …on tight burms….up hill was a pain in the ass to ..went back to 120 ……preferred that …

My Nimble 9 is on 120 as well

mattjg
    Free Member

I spent a long day on 140mm, it worked well for me, I got up every climb I care about & the downs were more fun, doubt I’ll ever change back.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If I could have a Yelli with 140 forks (and associated ha) but the BB height and seat angle of it with 120 forks I’d buy one again (not sure whether I’d be too happy paying £850 for it though).
    Have been looking at getting an xacd/walty Ti version made.

martinh
    Free Member

Count me in with the idiots.

mattjg
    Free Member

mattjg
    Free Member

I went from 120 to 140 on my yelli but didn’t like it …wandered to much …on tight burms….up hill was a pain in the ass to ..went back to 120 ……preferred that …

My Nimble 9 is on 120 as well

N9 @ 140mm is quite playful, that may be partly the slight slackening of the seat tube, but it’s not a handful.

The Yelli seat tube is 2 degrees slacker, maybe at 140mm that’s enough to push it into “weight too far back” territory.

Anyway my point is they are similar but not identical.

I’ve done 50 miles & > 2100 metres of elevation this weekend, the new set up (140mm Revs on Flows instead of 120mm Rebas on Crests) is a keeper for me.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I imported my Yelli for a lot less £ than the then UK supply last year, however there is now a new UK distributer with a comparable price and I guess a warranty….

http://www.cranknuts.com/yelli-screamy-all-mountain-performance-hardtail/

In the last 3 days my Yelli has done around 100km and 2500mtrs of climbing, its a cross country weapon and as quick as my Trek Remedy (26″ wheel) down…. 140mm works for me !

It’s about having fun on a bike 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

is this turning into a long travel 29er HT thread?

I’m building my first 29er, what is classed as long travel in the world of big wheels?

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m building my first 29er, what is classed as long travel in the world of big wheels?

No idea, what about 20mm less than the 26″ definition?

I_Ache
    Free Member

In that case I would say that 140mm is long on a 26″ ht but on an fs it’s more like 160mm.

My Solaris will have 120mm Reba’s. That really doesn’t sound like it should be considered long travel. God knows how it will ride but it’s going to have a 50mm stem and 750mm bars. So I’m hoping it will fell tough and almost like a big wheeled version of my BFe.

chakaping
    Free Member

140mm is enough fork travel to show up the limits of my 29er HT’s rear end – so 120mm should be more than adequate for a HT.

mattjg
    Free Member

You’re not wrong chapaking, but it’s not really about the travel for me, and it would be pretty rare I’d go into that last 20mm. It’s about set up, riding position and geometry, and on my N9 I’m really impressed with the difference of my 140 mm Revs over the 120mm Rebas.

Mbnut
    Free Member

After reading this I am going 140mm on the front of the Buzzard.

I am more excited about building it up than I am about my Enduro slaying new arrival.

mattjg
    Free Member

I doubt you’ll regret it, let us know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘120mm to 140mm – or not? (29er HT content)’ is closed to new replies.