• This topic has 22 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GW.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 120mm forks with plenty of clearance…
  • PrinceJohn

As above, I’m currently running 120mm Rebas & have put an Ardent 2.25 on the front & there is hardly any mud clearance, but I love the tyre & always have liked larger tyres.

So what is there that’s 120mm but will allow me to run decent sizes tyres?

Northwind

Older round rebas I take it? Modern ones have a similiar arch to a Revelation and ought to do exactly what you want

PrinceJohn

2011 ones (well on a 2011 Specialized Camber)

Northwind

Hmm, surprised at that then, I’ve ridden a bike with Rebas and a 2.4 advantage in the front and it seemed fine.

alpin
    Free Member

2.25 is big?

chiefgrooveguru

Fox Floats have lots of tyre room. Alternatively, I’d look at any of these new forks that are both 26″ and 650b compatible.

PrinceJohn

2.25 is big?

No really but it came with 2.2 Specialized ‘no grippers’ & there wasn’t a huge amount of clearance but an Ardent 2.25 fills it up, I also tried a rubber queen 2.2 & that buzzed the brace.

jsync

I have 2.25 panaracer cinder on mine with no issues, what were your specialized?

PrinceJohn

2.2 allegedly – but the ardent is up there with a rubber queen for big for it’s size.

jsync

That’s a shame, i was looking at RQ for my next tyres. I assume it is height more than width that’s the issue. Which model were the specs?

jsync

Just had a look at my camber elite 2011 with recons and 2.0 captains and my rockhopper with 2011 rebas and 2.25 cinders.

There is loads more room with the rebas (even with bigger tyres), are you sure you haven’t got recons?

PrinceJohn

are you sure you haven’t got recons?

It says Reba on the Stickers…. 😀

jsync

Fair play!

I guess I have the newer rebas.

PrinceJohn

But having just checked the specs on the Specialized website the word ‘custom’ does rear it’s head!

GW
    Free Member

a wound down Pike/Rev?

Rebas do not have a lot of clearance, but why should they? if you want mud clearance run a mud tyre rather than a big dry(ish) conditions tyre.

PrinceJohn

Rebas do not have a lot of clearance, but why should they? if you want mud clearance run a mud tyre rather than a big dry(ish) conditions tyre.

Because it’d be nice to be able to run the tyre I want with out worrying about potentially damaging the brace & it blocking up at the slightest sign of some mud?

mmel
    Free Member

I have the same problems with my Reba’s when running a 2.20 purgatory up front. Looking to get some Revelations at some point set up at 130mm so that should solve the issue. Love my Reba’s but the clearance is a pain. Mine are the 2011 model.

I wonder if the rims you run make a difference, narrow rims would cause a bigger tyre to blow up with a more rounded shape. So you could try a wider rim maybe?

GW
    Free Member

probably shouldn’t have chosen a Reba in the first place then, eh? 😆

jsync

Correction, just checked my receipt for the rebas, they are 2012. Maybe bigger than the 2011s?

mmel
    Free Member

they are 2012. Maybe bigger than the 2011s?

Quite possibly, the lowers look like a different design

chiefgrooveguru

It’s height, particularly around the shoulder knobs, that’s the problem with old Rebas. I could squeeze XR4 2.2 or RQ 2.2 in there but they’d buzz when you cornered hard and the fork/wheel flexed. Quite worrying! And nowhere near the clearance for mud.

The thing about using skinny mud tyres in the mud, if you ride in the woods then where you get mud you also get wet roots. Skinny mud tyres are rubbish at wet roots. A bigger tyre might not rail the muddy corners like a narrow one but it’ll drift progressively and not punish you so badly when you hit a root at a bad angle. And as its often muddy in the woods but drier in the open, you’d be changing tyres all the time if you had to use a mud tyre in the mud, or suffer the annoyance of a mud tyre’s drag and lack of grip in the dry.

PrinceJohn

probably shouldn’t have chosen a Reba in the first place then, eh?

That’s a discussion for the Specialized product managers…

GW
    Free Member

learn how to ride roots

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘120mm forks with plenty of clearance…’ is closed to new replies.