Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 120mm Fixed Disk hub ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

or even at a push a 120mm freewheel mount disk hub and i could use a velo solo disk side cog when i want to fix.

tempted to modernise my crosser- since its rapidly becoming my favorite bike once again with some bb7s i have lying about – means welding on a disk mount mind but its a moot point if i cant get a decent quality 120mm hub with a disk mount.

trail_rat
    Free Member

well it seems no-one does from my looking around , also seems i might have issues with the disk hitting the spokes on the NDS and also the disk on the stays.

Will have a gander when i go home.

Options for alu SS – 135mm disk frames ? Id quite like to lose the V brakes.

epicyclo

If it’s a flip flop hub, have you thought about using a band brake?

It threads on – I bought one recently for much the same purpose. (Haven’t fitted it yet.)

About the same weight as a BB7. God knows how good it is, but it’s the back brake anyway, and cheap enough to experiment with.

Band brake on eBay

Also I’m sure I saw a disk mount for a hub thread many years ago – may still be some around.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ay montane solo make the broakland disk adaptor – but its 25 bucks + shipping AND i still have a world of issues im sure getting it on my frame.

thats band on brake is worth a punt at that price – looks like it fits to the frame in much the same way as a drum brake to transfer a reaction force int othe frame ?

i dont need much force i just want 2 brakes – my legs are good brakes as it is but there are local cross races id like to do and i have to have 2 brakes for them.

mangoridebike

hi trail_rat

montane solo make the broakland disk adaptor

is this an adaptor to fit a disc mount to a flipflop hub? If so could you post a link to it, it could be the answer to a search

sorry for the hijack

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://urbanvelo.org/montano-velo-fixed-hub-disc-adapter/

just seen the date -might not be made anymore but worth dropping them a line.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Velosolo might do them I think

mangoridebike

Thanks very much – just what I was looking for – hopefully still made and in stock somewhere 🙂

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    …thats band on brake is worth a punt at that price – looks like it fits to the frame in much the same way as a drum brake to transfer a reaction force int othe frame ?

The weight of the band brake is pretty good compared to a disk – especially when you bear in mind you don’t need to weld anything onto the frame. A Sturmey-Archer P clip will do the job.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Brian i hae those scales in mah garage kitchen (just in case jaynes reading)

Can you confirm the thread is standard freewheel thread ??

I like this cheap simple option !

V brakes in bin by end of the week i think !

cookeaa

Same as trail rat here. I can see one of these on the back of my SS MTB. If it fits a 135mm flip flop hub (and I can find one of those too).

Do post if its a goer

trail_rat
    Free Member

for 6.99 i ordered one anyway – itll go on somehow.

epicyclo

On its intended home. Screwed on no problem.

No idea if it is any good but there is plenty friction area to engage. Don’t know how well it will dump heat, but these things are used on motorised bikes, so they are probably ok.

cookeaa – Member
    …I can see one of these on the back of my SS MTB. If it fits a 135mm flip flop hub (and I can find one of those too).

I’ve got a new one in my attic – DMR Revolver – but I bought it about 4 years ago.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Excellent

Cookeaa surly do em too

epicyclo

It will be a hoot if a £7 brake turns out to be any good.

Combined with a flipflop hub they’re much lighter than a drumbrake.

Trail_rat is sure to test it to the limit before I get round to fitting mine, so I’m waiting for the feedback. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

mine should be here tomorrow , was dispatched this morning

means i can turn my 2 “semi” working BB7s into 1 fully working BB7 – just need to get a security torx as its old style – bike should get lighter as well – full carbon disk forks i found to replace the heavy mostly alloy units already on there 😀

Amaizing how using a bike differently changes your perception of it. My singlecross was my boring commuter bike and it really was boring , heavy and stiff to ride.

The last one in that line up .

Its an entirely different bike – comfy,nimble and lively.

cookeaa

Brake is ordered.

I was poking about the interwebz last night for a bit looking for a cheap hub.

The only Surly’s I seemed to be able to find in the UK, were fixed/Free rather than Free/Free (apparently they do both) Fixed/Free should still work so might be an option (just not as neat).
    an old DMR might be a better, cheaper option (this is only an experiment with a £7 brake after all).

I’ve also found some cheaper 130mm flipflop hubs on fleabay, I’m thinking those might make sense as I’ll need to mount the the brake on the axle anyway, so 5mm under size OLN, plus a few washers should allow a bit of useful adjustment… chain line might not be ideal, but this isn’t exactly precision engineering.

I’m strangely excited over a crappy scooter brake now, it doesn’t take much to keep me happy.

epicyclo

cookeaa – Member
    Brake is ordered.

…I’m strangely excited over a crappy scooter brake now, it doesn’t take much to keep me happy.

Ye gods, I hope it works ok, or you and trail_rat are going to be forming a lynch mob.

If it does work ok it’s going to make a nonsense of much higher priced brakes. It’s hard to beat it for simplicity and lack of wearing parts. There’s not too much that can go wrong on the back with a skinny tyre though – should be ample power for that.

I wonder if anyone here has had them on a scooter or such like and could provide a comment based on experience.

BTW mine is destined for use on my Dreadnought – currently a 28″ wheel with rod brakes – braking on a steep hill in the wet is quite stimulating at the moment and I’d prefer retardation. 🙂

(I’m investigating what linings are available because band brakes are quite sensitive to water etc – it might be we’ll need lower friction materials to prevent grab in the wet, and they can have trouble dissipating heat)

EDIT:

Wiki on band brakes

cookeaa

Its arrived.

It’s sat on my desk puzzling passers-by as they’re not too sure if it’s work related or not…

They’ve Included some useful looking fittings, a Stay mount and a couple of cable stop tabs, I think I’ll use a full run outer and a V- brake lever.

A quick measure of the Drum and it’s 3.5″ not 4.5″ diameter. So the description seems to be based on rounding up the approximate size of the housing rather than the actual diameter of the brake drum, but I reckon it’ll still do the job, there’s quite a bit of lining material brought into contact .

A quick fag packet measure up and calc’ of areas suggests this thing has approximately twice the pad surface area of a pair pair of disc pads.

Which (assuming the linings have a roughly equal CoF) means that these 3.5″ band brakes could be about on par with a 6″cable disc:
    Twice the frictional surface area, applied using about half the moment?
    I can see how this brake might cook with a bit of heavy use though…

epicyclo

cookeaa – Member
    …Twice the frictional surface area, applied using about half the moment?
    I can see how this brake might cook with a bit of heavy use though…

That’s my main concern, but I like the simplicity of the brake so it’s worth a go.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be slightly worried about cack getting inside it and really eroding the braking surface.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that would worry me too if i didnt ride very often.

my cars drum brakes survive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

little bit of adaption and its on …..

need to buy new brake cables to try it out though.

had to make a makeshift cable stop out of an old barrel adjuster and a jubalee clip.

i also had to space the screw on piece out from the hub flange with a HT2 bb spacer so that the friction material got max cover.

seem like it will be very on off.

epicyclo

Probably an idea to cut a few diagonal grooves in the brake material just like we used to do with drum brakes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It does a big skid.

Not convinced it will last long , metal seems to be quite consistant with that of cheddar

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘120mm Fixed Disk hub ?’ is closed to new replies.