Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 120-150mm adjustable forks with straight 1 1/8th steerer – what's good now?
  • baldman
    Free Member

Hi folks, so what’s out there now? Had 2010 Revelation Team dual air u-turns which were great and would get another set but there don’t seem to forks like that in the Rockshox range anymore.

Looking for:
    150mm max travel, externally adjustable down to 120mm (or 110mm)
    Straight 1 1/8th steerer
    Maxle type skewer (15mm or 20mm)
    Prefer air, but would consider coil if that gives me the adjustment option
    Budget £500 max

If that type of adjustment is no longer available I’d want something that is easily adjusted with internal spacers the way older rebas and revelations could be.

Recommendations welcomed 🙂

nuke

Dual position Revs fit the bill…what I went for.

baldman
    Free Member

Sounds like the new version of u turn. Nuke is that with a straight 1 1/8th steerer, I could only see tapered on the Rockshox website?

Should have mentioned need to be for 26″ wheels too.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I got some 2012 Sektor dual position (which isn’t really travel adjust) and fitted a coil U-turn spring and top cap.

Now they are 110-150 coil u-turn and so much better.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Shame the adjustable travel is a key feature for you otherwise the Marzocchi 55 CR 2012 looks good.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Magura Thor 150s with travel adjust- straight steerer, 15mm axle, low speed compression damping, all for 350euro!

Kahurangi

I’ve got some of the Revelation RLC Ti Dual-Position Air forks. They’re ok but I’ve not really ridden enough forks to state they’re the dog’s danglies definitively. When eddie borrowed them for a ride around the Lakes he liked them and they’re a lot better compression damping-wise (they have Mission-Control newer damping stuff) than my older Revelation 426 (Motion Control). The dual-position is great and I use it more readily than U-Turn.

Also, they’re solo air so you don’t have quite so much adjustment of the spring rate as with the dual-air forks.

I’m tempted to try some 160mm Floats next but think I’d really miss the dual-position when climbing steep stuff.

Northwind

2-step Rev will do what you want, but unless you want it at 120 or 150 it’s a step back from u-turn. Unfortunately Rockshox seem to have gone pretty cold on the infinite adjustment.

baldman
    Free Member

Some ideas for me to look in to, cheers guys.

Like the idea of modifying the Sektors, worth a bit more investigation I think. 2 step could also work, though not as tuneable as u turn.

The 55’s look a bit big, I think looking at the range the 44’s could be a better option for me, are modern Marzocchi’s back up to the reliability and plushness of the original bombers?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Anything you need to know about the Sektors mate drop me a mail.

Really easy mod no need to drop the lowers or change the oil.

Loco can do you a set of 2013 dual position modded by him for well within your budget.

Drop him a mail.

baldman
    Free Member

Cheers mosey, once I’ve worked out what to do I may need to get some tips. 🙂

Will email Loco too, he seems to get good reviews on here.

andysmiff1
    Free Member
    tomaso
    Free Member

As a counter to the infinite adjustment preference – I always found winding a u-turn knob in and out a pain as it took too long to go between full and lower travel positions. The advantage of dual position is instant up/down for descent/climbing which is all I use it for.

Northwind

Aye, if you’re lucky and just want it at one end or the other, it’s ace. But even then, u-turn only takes seconds to go from end to end.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘120-150mm adjustable forks with straight 1 1/8th steerer – what's good now?’ is closed to new replies.