Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 12 Speed would I be mad not to?
  • richmtb

So a new to me On One Codeine 29er just landed on my door mat.

I’ve got a spare set of 29er wheels with XD driver and plenty of finishing kit going spare but the only bit of spare drivetrain I’ve got is a GX 11 speed cassette.

Given I’m going to have to buy a shifter, rear mech and cranks should I ignore the fact I’ve got an 11 speed cassette and just buy GX Eagle when its available.

I’ve no huge rush to build it up, I need a 29er fork anyway before I can do anything with it.

Thoughts?

tomhoward

Yes imo

blader1611
    Free Member

That would be crazy as no doubt rumours of 13 ( i am guessing its 13 but they may just go straight to 14 as 13 is an unlucky number) speed will start soon.

GolfChick
    Free Member

GX eagle is available in my local bike shop already so waiting completely removed from the equation. My rear mech is slowly dying off from a weak spring tension and I’m sorely tempted to convert to a mixture ox x01 and GX 12 speed myself. Not because I need the gear range but because I want the better longevity rumoured to come with 12 speed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not mad to stay 11sp at all. You can probably get a lightly used shifter and mech for £50 then you just add the crank of your choice and a n/w chainring.

richmtb

Hmm lack of consensus.

Having two bikes running 11 speed Gx makes a lot of sense from a spares perspective.

But 12 is one more than 11?

chakaping
    Free Member

Having two bikes running 11 speed Gx makes a lot of sense from a spares perspective.

Well you never mentioned the other bike being 11sp, that should seal the deal IMO (unless you’re struggling on the climbs?)

richmtb

Just checked the price of a GX Eagle cassette. I’ve decided that people who buy 2nd hand On One frames are probably not suited for the rarified air up in 12 speed land!

Next question. Does XT M8000 mech and shifters play okay with Sram cassettes?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah they work perfectly, using that combination myself on most-recent build.

richmtb

Thanks chapaking!

tomhoward

That cassette will last aaages though.

beano68
    Free Member

My GX Eagle rear derailleur failed within an hours ride ! not strong and very weak .. Ive now upgraded to the XO and the difference is night and day

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d say no, don’t bother, but that’s based on personal opinions.

Have no need for more range. My 10-42 SRAM XX1 setup is fine with a 34T front ring.

My bike this year, I chose actively not to run it, and I’m glad I did. One of the guys in my team has been running it since it was basically first available as it came on his bike. It’s been nothing but trouble. In fact the only bit that hasn’t been warrantied are the cranks. It still doesn’t shift right.

Every rcpace that SRAM has been to they have replaced, or tinkered with it. I think the bike will be for sale soon & the next one will be 11spd.

vincienup
    Free Member

Yep, SRAM 11sp cassette and XD will be fine with Shimano shifting. The GX11 cassette makes perfect sense for an 11sp setup like this, other cassettes possibly less so.

It seems the XX1 chain with its ‘hard chrome’ may contribute significantly to better life than the PCX1.

As to your choice… I’m building an 11sp out of bits I had right now but if I decide I’m keeping it then it’s probably going 12sp next. I note the current GX Eagle cassette is more like the 1180 X1, so I’m hoping next year brings an all steel offering at slightly lower price and slightly higher weight. I’m hoping to use 12sp to stick a higher top gear on there while maintaining the 11sp low ratio to make it more big ride friendly.

Currently GX Eagle seems to be running about £380 all in (18 bikes) and apparently deleting the crank doesn’t save much due to the bundle price. While that’s not a bad price for what it is, £90 odd quid for 11sp shifter and mech could easily sound more tempting!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Save yourself three kidneys and go 8speed, heck, you can even get 11-40 cassettes these days as per the Whyte 403 kids bike.

twisty

On a somewhat related note, is there any other option for 12speed chains than SRAM ones? Is there any reason to buy the XX1 chain over the X01? Is there any disadvantage of the GX chain other than the greater weight of solid pins?

blitz

What about 11 speed with a sunrace 11-50 cassette? Almost the same range as 12 speed.

stevextc
    Free Member

The worst £££/performance upgrade I ever made was 1×10 to 1×11 (Shimano but principal is the same)

Why … not because it doesn’t work but it’s only marginally better if at all and EVERYTHING is more expensive from chains, cassettes (no just replace a 40/42 expander) .. and being Shimano then you have to consider the mounts …

All the other bikes are 1×10 …. so its cross compatibility out of the window… and I gained 2 teeth I never use (11-42) so it’s still only 10 speed but lower range than the old 10 speed and I need to swap cassettes
    (but at least I can without changing freewheel driver) if I swap wheels over.

YMMV …. but it’s a world of extra hassle that cost a lot and costs more going forwards .. it sounded cool when I bought it but just not worth the extra (IMHO)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

IME 1×11 GX is the best wearing cassette about, 30g lighter than XT and lasts way longer (I have XT on the new bike, but would go back to GX in a minute.)

richmtb

I think I’m 99% certain I’ll stick with 11 speed with a GX cassette.

Only question now is SRAM or Shimano shifters and Mech.

XT shifters definitely feel nicer than GX IMHO

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

GX is a nicer action IMO, XT has the ability to dump/jump more gears in one move.

richmtb

Are fancier SRAM shifters nicer – in the way that XT is definitely nicer than SLX and Deore? I’ve only ever used GX.

Sticking with SRAM would make the the bars a lot neater MMX work really well and I might go with Guide brakes

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘12 Speed would I be mad not to?’ is closed to new replies.