Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 12 month rolling contract virgin active- can they enforce it?
  • docrobster
    Free Member

We have decided to bin the 4 memberships we have at virigin active as we don't use it enough and its £100 a month. A long time ago me and the missus signed up to something called a diamond membership which guaranteed to keep the fee at £40 a month each (was more than that at the time) but could only be cancelled annually each december. I won't have kept the paperwork as its 5 or 6 years ago but I'm sure that's what I signed, and I know one of my better organised mates who had the same deal told me he cancelled his at the year end.
    I emailed the membership dept and that say I have to pay till december (though kids can cancel now). That's £480 for something I never use. If I just stopped the direct debits what will happen?
    Just wondered how legally enforceable this contract is?
    Has anyone managed to wriggle out of something similar?
    Any helpful advice would be appreciated
    Ta

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You'll 'probably' be tied in until the end of the contract. Worth asking them for a copy of the contract.
    If its binding, you are tied into it. Although you might be able to negotiate an early buy out, or negotiate a lower cost contract

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I doubt it, I just cancelled my DD, but it was 5 years ago or more. I got a series of recovery letters but just ignored them. It didn't stop me getting a mortgage with HSBC a year later so can't have held much weight

docrobster
    Free Member

I have emailed them to ask for a copy of the contract. See what that does

docrobster
    Free Member

Amazing what 1 polite email asking to see the contract does- Just bought out the remaining 6 months for less than 1 month's membership fee- which I would have had to pay if on monthly contract as it is now "too late" to cancel from end of June.
    It did help my case that I haven't set foot in the place since December!
    Result! 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘12 month rolling contract virgin active- can they enforce it?’ is closed to new replies.