Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 12 hours, Donnington Park, Derby
  • 40mpg

I’m dropping a daughter & friends at Donnington Park for the Download festival on Saturday, for the day.

So I’ve got about 12 hours free to do… anything.

Is it worth taking the bike – is there any decent riding within about half an hour of Donnington?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

cannock is about 45 mins away.

hammerite
    Free Member

Cannock isn’t too far, or Sherwood or the Peaks. You may get stuck in traffic for a while though which will extend the usual travel times to those places.

fatalbert
    Free Member

I was there yesterday doing a bit of work. If you don’t already know they is a specific drop off pick up area near the airport especially for the festival. Look out for the yellow signs directing you. The site looked impressive and well planed out, I even had the chance to attend but work are sending me on a course this weekend.

sprocker
    Free Member

Robin Wood/ticknall is not far away 5 (minutes in the car) there is a loop round there and a few jumps in the woods.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The motor museum there is good for a couple of hours.

alexpalacefan

6 hrs to get away from the site, 6 hrs to get back 😉
    APF

MadPierre
    danrandon
    Free Member

plenty of riding within 15 mins drive, I live at Coalville and know plenty of great spots drop me a pm with your details and i’ll furnish you with some more info

40mpg

Cheers Dan, sent you an email 😀

danrandon
    Free Member

Cheers Dan, sent you an email

not had anything as yet

danrandon
    Free Member

done a little google map for you

http://goo.gl/maps/ywh8d

jsync

Or go to Download, the Saturday lineup is amazing…….

40mpg

Wow! Cheers Dan, thats a really ace guide. Should manage a nice little tour round the area with that 😀

ps tried the email in your member details but it bounced back

iain1775
    Free Member

Robin woods ticknall ride (see stw trail guide) is rideable straight from donnington park, offroad link via Sustrans path and canal
    Email me and I can send a map with improvements to the stw ride
    Or drive top side of derby plenty riding round ambergate, Crich, black rocks
    I would show you round but can’t do Saturday mornings until about 2pm

40mpg

Thanks all, I did the Ticknall STW route but spent about an hour exploring Robin Woods (and dodging the downpour). Some nice built-up runs in there, but weirdly no tire tracks whatsoever – all the jumps in good nick like they’d just been finished but never ridden. Weird, and a little spooky.

Rest of the route was quite pleasant and not too taxing which was great as I’ve got a stinking cold. Dropped onto the Cloud Trail after, headed up towards Derby then back down and round the bottom of Staunton Harold reservoir for about 6 hours on the bike.

Skulked around the services on the M1 eating everything in sight, read Cycling Weakly (sic) cover to cover then picked the kids up halfway through Iron Maiden as they had gone hypothermic (teenage girls in short shorts d’oh – you can’t tell ’em).

Home around 1am so not a bad day all told!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Robins Wood is an odd one, the building goes in phases, every few years there seems to be a flurry of building, trails get cleared, the big* double gets built up, the burnt out remains of raves get tidied up and it gets busy.

Then either the FC flatten it as they don’t own it (Parish council does and is run by a load of bike hateing ramblers) or it just falls into disrepair again.

*relative, you might have found it in a clearing, usualy surrounded/filled by the remains of camp fires.

danrandon
    Free Member

Glad you found the map handy. Robin wood takes a while to explore properly.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘12 hours, Donnington Park, Derby’ is closed to new replies.