Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 12 hour solo minimum training?
  • IainGillam
    Free Member

I fancy doing the 12hour solo at Bikefest, but as a slight catch I don’t want to have to do any specific training for it. I will be doing quite a few other races (road, xc, triathlons and some motocross but that is a hindrance in this scenario) over the course of the year and I will be training for them (Say 10-15hrs per week inclusive of race time if I do the same as last year) and I want to just slip Bikefest in to a free weekend. I did bikefest, MM, 24/12 and Oktoberfest in teams and pairs last year so I have an idea of what to expect of the course etc. Would it be feasible to do ok without doing any really long rides to prepare?

Iain

djflexure

I did Kielder last year and took comfortably over 12 hours – it was fine on the back of a few events and group road rides. Don’t think you will have a problem.

Me
    Free Member

Well I’m hoping to do a few more solo 24’s this year and I haven’t ridden a bike since November!

Apart from a bit of stubbornness and an ability to keep your brain occupied all you really need to know is how to pace yourself and when to eat (…all the time!)

Sorted 8)

ton

just ride your bike mate. and enjoy it.

oldgit
    Free Member

12 hours, it’s like your normal bike ride but longer. That’s the way I see it.

twinklydave

I think ton’s hit the nail on the head there.

beej

10-15 hours a week is plenty of time to train – I’ve done a few 12 hour solos on about that. Training mostly on the road, built up to 6-7 hours pretty much constant – that was my long weekend ride. My pace for 12 hours is a bit less than for 6, so it’s important that I don’t start too fast. Av HR for 6hrs is about 140-145, for 12 about 125-130 (obviously only applies to me).

IainGillam
    Free Member

That’s quite a bit more positive than expected!

oldgit – Member
    12 hours, it’s like your normal bike ride but longer. That’s the way I see it.

That would be the problem though it’s roughly 12 times longer than my average ride! I don’t really do rides above 2hrs normally and the longest recent race I have done is 3hrs (I have done 5hrs but that was a few years ago.)

10-15 hours a week is plenty of time to train – I’ve done a few 12 hour solos on about that.

My 10-15hrs per week also won’t just be riding it will be swims, runs and motocross as well so I might ride for half of that tops and mostly on the road usually including a 10 or 25TT and a 1hr crit race.

Just to make it a little bit more awkward I kind of also want to start fast as well, or more precisely I want to do the run to the bike and then cross the line before starting the lap quickly.

I’m not so worried about being able to finish but more about how well I would do I’d like to be on the bike for the vast majority of the time (limit total time off it to say 30mins) and turn out reasonably good lap times.

Is this still reasonable or am I asking too much?

Iain

twinklydave

I’d like to be on the bike for the vast majority of the time (limit total time off it to say 30mins) and turn out reasonably good lap times.

Are you doing it supported,with a spare bike? If so then no problem – just get your pit crew/bitch/helper to have drinks etc ready for you each lap, swop bikes as necessary and ensure they don’t let you stop/sit down (because the chances are you will want to!)

Obviously going flat out at the start is going to make everything later on tougher, but if that’s how you’ve decided you’re going to do it, it’s up to you to fight through any suffering that comes as a result of it (saying “I’m not so worried about being able to finish” doesn’t bode well though!) 😉

Long races are as much mental as they are physical.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

i did my first 12 hour solo last year (couple more planned this year) – no idea what training i should of done, so just did my normal rides, but as time was at a premimum – just upped the intensity

didn’t do any rides over 4 hours (most 2-3), and for the event just took things easy, kept pedalling – and most important, really enjoyed it 😉

bigbob38
    Free Member

Did my 1st 12 hr solo last year (torq in your sleep) and I crammed my training into the night before – 14 pints of cider and loads of sausages!!
    I then kept that ‘training’ going through the latter part of the race!
    I do do it for fun though….

njee20
    Free Member

I came 3rd in the Torchbearer 12 at 24/12 2009 with sod all special training, just normal race training. Admittedly it’s wasn’t the best quality field, but I could’ve gone much harder. All I did differently to normal was a 6 hour road ride on the 2 weekends before. 10-15 hours a week at the very most, finished feeling really fresh.

carlphillips
    Free Member

no training saw me through bonty 24/12, like matey said up there^^^^ its just a long ride.

davesmate
    Free Member

As you say you’ve done a few events last year and you’re a regular rider I’d assume you’re at a decent level of fitness.

IMO the biggest issue for doing 12 or 24 hours is the boredom. I mean, I love being out on the bike and I’ll be at bikefest in a 4 man team but riding the same trail again and again for 12 hours?

IainGillam
    Free Member

This is what I wanted to hear!

I don’t have a spare bike but I am hoping to have some outside assistance. If I have a mechanical then the aim of doing well will go out of the window.

Anyone got any tips for coping with the boredom?

Iain

beej

Mentally break it into time-chunks. Don’t think at the start “12 hours to go”, think about that lap, or getting up each climb. I changed camelbak every 2 laps, 5 mins for food every 4. That way I always had a short term goal to focus on.

Have someone there who won’t let you quit.

rp16v
    Free Member

i did bikefest as a 4part ss team last year and tbh i found waiting around for 1 1/2 hours quite daunting and i think thats what made me more tierd think im going to go for the 8/6 hr solo this year dont think il last 12 solo

holy shit all the electric in my road just went bang…..

thank god for laptops 😆

ac282

If you are doing 10-15 hrs a week you should have enough fittness to ride well. Its worth doing a couple of longer rides (6hrs +) to get an idea of the best feeding strategy, pacing and to make sure you are comfortable for long periods on the bike.

rickon
    Free Member

If you fancy actually structuring your training properly, have a word with Chris Etough… he’s 6 times 24hour world champ… and does some awesome training plans – he’ll be able to customise one for you that will work around what you currently do.

http://www.chriseatough.com

really nice chap too.

njee20
    Free Member

IMO the biggest issue for doing 12 or 24 hours is the boredom. I mean, I love being out on the bike and I’ll be at bikefest in a 4 man team but riding the same trail again and again for 12 hours?

That was what did it for me, I like going flat out, plodding onwards for what seemed like an age just wasn’t enjoyable, even taking it a lap at a time.

pete68
    Free Member

I think its only mayhem that has a run at the start, so if you’re doing a 12 hour event I don’t think you need to worry about running.

jimmers
    Free Member

Bigbob38

14 pints of cider and loads of sausages!!

Aye not bad also considering you did it on a rigid SS.

PS Thanks for lending me the brakes!

IdleJon

njee20 – Member
    I came 3rd in the Torchbearer 12 at 24/12 2009 with sod all special training, just normal race training.

I was right behind you……..well, 5 places right behind you

Admittedly it’s wasn’t the best quality field,

OYYY! 😆

You’re right though. I did very little training for that event and there were only 15 starters iirc.

miketually
    Free Member

Monday to Friday, I ride 2.5 miles to work on a morning and 2.5 miles home again. Term-time only.

My seventh ride of last year was Hit the North. I did 10 laps in 8.5 hours – top 25, I think. 65 miles.

My tenth ride of the year was Kielder 100, which I finished in 13 hours.

It’s not about the training 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

It’s not about the training

but think about what might have been if you’d trained 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I just need you at the end of each lap telling my to get my arse back out again 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘12 hour solo minimum training?’ is closed to new replies.