Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 12-36 cassette…
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Thinking of putting a 12-36 cassette on a new 1×9 build to gain that extra low gear, which I think I'll miss on an 11-34. 12-36 cassettes seem to be marketed towards 29ers (which this is not). Are there any potential issues with fit on a regular 26" wheel/hub or long cage mech (will be running a 32T Middleburn Uno)? Cheers.

mttm
    Free Member

Check your rear mech will accomodate the 36t cog. I believe Shadow mechs are okay, the rest – sometimes yes, sometimes no. Cage length has no impact on this – you don't need the long cage version you mention if you're going 1×9 (the long cage is only necessary to run a triple up front).

HTH

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers

Keva
    Free Member

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago, no way is that monstrosity of a lump of metal ever going near the back wheel of my bike !

Kev

Northwind

They're pretty weighty. Really riles me that nobody does an XT-level 11-36 cassette. Only reason I can see that they don't is because they want people to buy 2×10.

br
    Free Member

XX?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I think the Shimano XT 10speed will be 36T??

ac282

the range of the 11-34 is wider anyway. Why not just fit a smaller chain ring?

mrmo
    Free Member

XT 11-36 cassette

no idea when it will be available though but can't be that far off if Madison and Chainreaction are lsting it?

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm.. 11-36 makes 1×10 quite feasible even for the less fit I reckon…

Northwind

Yup, but that's 10-speed. 1×9 or a better range on 2×9 would be the goal with an 11-36 9-speed. It's one of the selling points of XX for SRAM though so I guess they'd have no interest in competing with that on 9-speed.

clubber
    Free Member

No need for a 36 on a 2×9 IMO based on my 2×9 setup.

Doug
    Free Member

he range of the 11-34 is wider anyway. Why not just fit a smaller chain ring?

Do a bit of mix and match with your old 9sp cassette for an 11-36t

Northwind

"No need for a 36 on a 2×9 IMO based on my 2×9 setup."

No need, no, but you could use it to grab back some of the higher gears, to placate the naysayers. I'm pretty happy with 11-34, 22/36 but a lot of people would prefer the wider range. I'd consider 1×9 myself with those ratios.

ziggy
    Free Member

As above new SLX and XT 10 speed will be available in 11-36, should be in the shops for about mid July if you can wait that long. £49.99 for SLX and £59.99 for XT, probably cheaper from the mail order boys.

edit; oh balls you wanted 9 speed , sorry.

ex-pat
    Free Member

I have a gear inch calculator spreadsheet – adjusted up to 36 tooth rear.
    Good for comparing the spread of your rings. 😯

Interested?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘12-36 cassette…’ is closed to new replies.